Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2014, 10:17 AM   #1001
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Cosby View Post
I bought HakkR2's, and while I'm waiting for my appointment I'm stuck on PSS for another week and a bit.

Yesterday evening was just f'n awful on those.
I would avoid travel at all costs today. You should be fine once the stuff melts and the temperature rises. I found them not bad on cold dry asphalt, but they are probably crap on slush and ice cold water.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2014, 10:48 AM   #1002
rd_aaron
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just a shoutout to Urban X in the NE. I looked into them due to a couple posters in this thread suggesting it. Just got our winters put on for both of our vehicles yesterday.

They were really friendly, their prices for the new tires came in cheaper than other places I quoted at, and they got both of our cars done in about half an hour (and I was swapping rims around so they pulled the tires off one set and mounted two sets). We were impressed and would recommend them.
rd_aaron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rd_aaron For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #1003
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I went to Urban X on Horton Road and had a good experience there as well. Got tires and wheels for two vehicles. Good price and service, would recommend.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 02:23 PM   #1004
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlLester View Post
I went to Urban X on Horton Road and had a good experience there as well. Got tires and wheels for two vehicles. Good price and service, would recommend.
We've had great service from these lads as well - my wife had issue with tire key going missing from the dealer - the lads at Urban X felt bad for her, so ended up changing tires last year for free, though it was no fault of our own and we tried, to no avail, to decline complimentary service.
Now that's going above and beyond!
Old 11-03-2014, 09:17 AM   #1005
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

anyone riunning the Blizzak DM-V1 winter tire? been reading good reviews about them online.

thanks,
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 PM   #1006
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

I called around for some quotes today and the dealership actually came in at the lowest for the tires, rims, including mounting and balancing. Who knew?

I just don't understand how the prices can be so different. Same tires, same rims, and I had a range of about $400 from the quotes I got. Are companies really valuing their labour that differently?
Old 11-03-2014, 02:50 PM   #1007
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always found Kal Tire (believe it or not) to be very fair with pricing... if you can handle their sometimes crappy customer service.

I'm going next week to get new winters on my new-to-me car.
Old 11-03-2014, 07:50 PM   #1008
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

had some tires mounted at urbanex, happy with price and service.
Old 11-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #1009
vtec260
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone tried any Chinese made tires (eg. from Walmart or independent shops)? I know they are not top tier brands and most are priced accordingly to reflect that. My previous experience with 2nd tier tires such as Hankook or Nexen has been pretty positive with not much regrets with wear, traction, and construction. Old saying that any winter tires are better than 3 season tires still hold true even if they are not the well known brands? Some might hesitate to buy Chinese made tires, but what else isn't made in China anymore.
vtec260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 11:52 AM   #1010
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

i checked into winters for my 2009 ford explorer which has 265/50/r20's on it now, and I was somewhat surprised to find that i could get a set of blizzaks for around $1,200 - i am sure when i replaced my all seasons a few yrs back, the cost was about $1,500.

called around to a few shops and my first quote was the most competitive one, one shop did mention they have federal brand winters for about $1,200 - but to me the $100 savings is not enouhg to move to a somewhat lesser known brand.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:19 PM   #1011
Titan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
i checked into winters for my 2009 ford explorer which has 265/50/r20's on it now, and I was somewhat surprised to find that i could get a set of blizzaks for around $1,200 - i am sure when i replaced my all seasons a few yrs back, the cost was about $1,500.

called around to a few shops and my first quote was the most competitive one, one shop did mention they have federal brand winters for about $1,200 - but to me the $100 savings is not enouhg to move to a somewhat lesser known brand.
where was cheapest?
Titan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 01:22 PM   #1012
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

I got Blizzaks put on my journey 225/55/R19 For $1060 + tax from Mr. Detail on Bannister Rd.

from what everyone said 19" tires are more expensive than 20" tires because of the odd size (lucky me) but still a pretty decent price
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 02:00 PM   #1013
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan View Post
where was cheapest?
blaskin and lane
Old 11-09-2014, 06:33 PM   #1014
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Just tested out the Michelin X-Ice 3's today. Great performance.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:42 PM   #1015
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really impressed with the goodyear ultragrip ice tires i got this year handled yesterdays terrible conditions very well considering the roads in edmonton were skating rinks and also driving home on the backroads
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 06:59 PM   #1016
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took the car out for a spin today, and the Hakk2's performed flawlessly. Didn't feel like driving on snow at all.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:29 PM   #1017
cracher
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec260 View Post
Anyone tried any Chinese made tires (eg. from Walmart or independent shops)? I know they are not top tier brands and most are priced accordingly to reflect that. My previous experience with 2nd tier tires such as Hankook or Nexen has been pretty positive with not much regrets with wear, traction, and construction. Old saying that any winter tires are better than 3 season tires still hold true even if they are not the well known brands? Some might hesitate to buy Chinese made tires, but what else isn't made in China anymore.
I have a kid that works for me that swears by no-name tires (at least a notch or two below Hankook). His theory is that the pricey "all-weather" tires with the snowflake symbol are nothing but crappy winter tires. The same harder rubber that makes them marginal in the winter is the same harder rubber that gives it lower rolling resistance in the summer. He has been running Walmart winters year round for a while now without much trouble.
cracher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:32 PM   #1018
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ok, I'm the idiot who didn't get their winter tires sorted out before hand.

Where is the least clustery fata place to buy a set and have em installed at this point? I'll assume all the big name places are booking into June 2015 by now.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:34 PM   #1019
FFR
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I have a new baby this year and it's pushed me to decide to get winter tires. I have been putting it off for awhile - kept saying I'd do it next year. But now I have more motivation. I have been quickly scanning the thread and will go back and read for more details but with winter tires - are they a get what you pay for thing? Or can you get some cheaper ones and get good results?

Edit: as with the above poster, I realize I may have left this too late. But things kind of get forgotten with the baby around and then boom! It snows.
FFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 08:44 PM   #1020
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Ok, I'm the idiot who didn't get their winter tires sorted out before hand.

Where is the least clustery fata place to buy a set and have em installed at this point? I'll assume all the big name places are booking into June 2015 by now.
I'm in the same boat. I booked last week for an appointment on November 24th. I called a few places and it looks like the wait time is about two weeks or show up before opening and its first come, first serve.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote