Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-2017, 03:40 PM   #181
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Because Kaepernick offends white people with his anti-cop anthem kneeling ways. No one really cares about the other stuff because it's usually black on black crime and it doesn't offend Joe Middle America.
Do you REALLY believe that owners are afraid of the backlash of signing Kaepernick? REALLY?

You realize this is the NFL and not some fledgling sports league trying to gain traction. The NFL is a monster. Signing Colin Kaepernick isn't going to hurt the bottom line of ANY NFL team.

If they thought he would help them he'd be signed...and he may still be signed.

Teams want to know that he's dedicated to football though, because there are 30 other guys out there that can hold a clip board just as well as he can that most certainly are dedicated.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:43 PM   #182
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Anyway, Burfict just got a 3 year 38 million contract from the Bengals. Curious what the guaranteed money is, that feels like a lot for him.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #183
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Why doesn't RGIII have a NFL gig? I actually think he is better than Kaepernick or was at least. So no, not a crock of #### or ridiculous.
RGIII looked every bad as his stats were last year. Plus he's brittle as hell. He actually looked done in every Browns game I saw him in last year.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:45 PM   #184
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Kaepernick didn't tweet the photo. You're basically saying he's guilty by association. That seems like a reasonable stance? Have you ever looked at Miko Grimes' twitter?

This is the same Ravens team whose management team had Ray Rice's wife apologize for her role in getting punched out in an elevator, right? The same management that employed Ray Lewis and still employs Terrell Suggs? Where exactly is their moral high ground on anything?
I'm not saying he's guilty of anything!

Moral high ground has nothing to do with it. They chose not to sign him because his girlfriend insinuated their owner is a racist slave owner who doesn't care about his black players. How are they wrong for making that decision?

For the record, I absolutely despise the Baltimore Ravens.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:46 PM   #185
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Do you REALLY believe that owners are afraid of the backlash of signing Kaepernick? REALLY?

You realize this is the NFL and not some fledgling sports league trying to gain traction. The NFL is a monster. Signing Colin Kaepernick isn't going to hurt the bottom line of ANY NFL team.

If they thought he would help them he'd be signed...and he may still be signed.

Teams want to know that he's dedicated to football though, because there are 30 other guys out there that can hold a clip board just as well as he can that most certainly are dedicated.
Do you read the internet?

"We want to get a sense of what the attitude is out there and how Colin would handle it if he were to come, how he'd handle it and how that would change people's views," Cass said.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-692ab2d406f4
Old 09-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #186
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Do you read the internet?

"We want to get a sense of what the attitude is out there and how Colin would handle it if he were to come, how he'd handle it and how that would change people's views," Cass said.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-692ab2d406f4
Do you understand the difference between a starter and a back up? They don't have to sign Kaepernick to win. They have Flacco.

If we were talking about the Jets you might have a point.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:49 PM   #187
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
In a country as jinogistic as the U.S.? Yes, they don't want to be seen as anti-American. Not mention that I'm sure that a few of the owners are just of the mentality that the boy needs to stop being so uppity and know his place *cough*Woody Johnson*cough*.
Old 09-07-2017, 03:50 PM   #188
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Let's no kid ourselves here. Vick had one really good year, that was helped by a lot of luck, then was dog#### and injured the following year, before getting replaced by Nick Foles in his final year with the team. He then went on to get beat out in training camp by Geno Smith with the Jets before becoming a mediocre backup for the Steelers.

Kaeps QBR last year was 23rd in the league. Obviously not great, but he was ahead of guys like Tannehill, Wentz, Newton, and Eli. If QBR isn't your thing, his QB rating was 17th in the league, ahead of the aforementioned four, as well as guys like Rivers, Palmer, Taylor, and Winston, so I'm not sure where the idea that he can't start NFL comes from. I don't think anyone believes he's the second coming of Steve Young, but he's absolutely starter material based on his numbers.

I never thought Vick was anything special but he was better than Kaepernick has ever been. I was all for Kolb to be the guy before his head turned to mush and his confidence was shot.

I don't know the whole story on Kaepernick, money, black balled, not good enough, don't really know. I just think, from my point of view, is that the massive distraction that Kaepernick will bring is not even remotely worth the mediocre football he will play for you. If he was any good he would absolutely be on a NFL roster and even starting. Run first QBs that cannot read defenses are a dime a dozen and never last long in this league regardless of anthem protests.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #189
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, very intriguing game tonight to kick things off.

I think the Chiefs are in tough in Foxboro, but the loss of Edelman is really being talked up by the experts based on the insane chemistry he and Brady share. Personally, I think Hogan steps right into that role and does enough to offset the loss thought it may take a game or two.

I'll take New England 28-23
Old 09-07-2017, 04:08 PM   #190
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
I don't know the whole story on Kaepernick, money, black balled, not good enough, don't really know. I just think, from my point of view, is that the massive distraction that Kaepernick will bring is not even remotely worth the mediocre football he will play for you. If he was any good he would absolutely be on a NFL roster and even starting. Run first QBs that cannot read defenses are a dime a dozen and never last long in this league regardless of anthem protests.
I get what you're saying, but I guess my question would be then how do you define remotely good? To me, league average should be the measuring stick. Kap's stats last year extrapolated over 16 games would have looked like this:

59% completion rated (26th)
23 TDs (T-15th)
6 INTs (T-4th)
3260 yds (25th)
6.77 YPA (24th)
90.7 QB Rating (17th)

Now keep in mind that those numbers also game on an abysmal Niners offense that had zero offensive weapons. Those don't look like HoF numbers to me but they're the numbers of an average to slightly-below average starter, especially when you add in the fact that he can pick up yards and points with his legs, and if all you asked him to do was be a game manager like he was for his first two years in San Francisco.

And the backup QB argument does matter, especially for teams who consider themselves playoff contenders. If Flacco, Prescott, Mariota, or Wilson go down, that you'd rather have Mallet, Kellen Moore, Matt Cassel, or Austin Davis running your offense in the playoffs than Kaepernick?
Old 09-07-2017, 04:11 PM   #191
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So, very intriguing game tonight to kick things off.

I think the Chiefs are in tough in Foxboro, but the loss of Edelman is really being talked up by the experts based on the insane chemistry he and Brady share. Personally, I think Hogan steps right into that role and does enough to offset the loss thought it may take a game or two.

I'll take New England 28-23
I like the Pats to win but the Chiefs to cover.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:25 PM   #192
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone in the states able to order me a pair of these bad boys in size 9.5?

https://www.nike.com/launch/t/air-fo...t-low-rkk-2017

MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #193
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dp

Last edited by MacDaddy77; 09-07-2017 at 04:33 PM. Reason: Double post
Old 09-07-2017, 04:29 PM   #194
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Can't figuire out how to post photobucked image from cell
Old 09-07-2017, 04:35 PM   #195
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but I guess my question would be then how do you define remotely good? To me, league average should be the measuring stick. Kap's stats last year extrapolated over 16 games would have looked like this:

59% completion rated (26th)
23 TDs (T-15th)
6 INTs (T-4th)
3260 yds (25th)
6.77 YPA (24th)
90.7 QB Rating (17th)

Now keep in mind that those numbers also game on an abysmal Niners offense that had zero offensive weapons. Those don't look like HoF numbers to me but they're the numbers of an average to slightly-below average starter, especially when you add in the fact that he can pick up yards and points with his legs, and if all you asked him to do was be a game manager like he was for his first two years in San Francisco.

And the backup QB argument does matter, especially for teams who consider themselves playoff contenders. If Flacco, Prescott, Mariota, or Wilson go down, that you'd rather have Mallet, Kellen Moore, Matt Cassel, or Austin Davis running your offense in the playoffs than Kaepernick?
I am not a Kapernick fan, never was, I am not a big fan of run first QB's to begin with. No idea what his stats were last year I just remember watching and thinking how much he sucks and I still shake my head at that contract he got.

I just think, especially as a backup, that the less people know about you, the less of a distraction the better. But I say that with all those above QB's being pretty equally terrible. Basically the lesser of two evils. Some guys can be a back up, they have the mentality to do it and others don't. I don't think Kaepernick has the backup mentality so maybe the rumors of big money are true.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:41 PM   #196
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The top 3 rushing qb's last year defined by YPG?

Colin Kaepernick
Tyrod Taylor
RG III

Their teams combined to go 10-38.

None of them are your prototypical pocket passers. Most teams need that kind of QB in their system because thats what they have starting in most instances.

I can see where Kaepernick would be a fit in Tennessee (behind Mariota) and maybe BUffalo as he is similar in style to Taylor. Seattle (kind of) Carolina, and maybe Dallas could use his "type" of QB in case of a starter going down. Beyond that though, teams would have to severely revamp their offenses if a starter went down mid-season and there simply isnt time to do that for most clubs.

Kaepernick has very few teams that can use his skill set first and foremost, add in the distraction he brings, and if he is looking for 5 or more million per, its completely understandable how he doesnt have a job right now.

Some QB will go down though and he will probably be getting a call sooner rather than later.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #197
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

^^ But conspiracy or white men or something.

I wonder if this is finally the year Brady takes a step back? I sure hope so.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #198
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am just excited for football and the fact that I believe the Eagles are an improved team and came out of preseason without any major injuries.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:27 PM   #199
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of backups, how long until Alex Smith is a backup? I've made my feelings on preseason clear, but some things can be analyzed irrespective of how hard the other team is playing or how vanilla their gameplan is. And it's abundantly clear that Mahomes has some insane arm talent. Too soon to put him in the Aaron Rodgers talent level, but he might have that kind of pure arm talent. Whether he actually supplants Smith this year, who knows, but this is likely the end for Alex in KC.

Of course the biggest thing Mahomes has going for him is the Bills and Browns passed on him. Avoiding that kiss of death is always key.
Old 09-07-2017, 06:49 PM   #200
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

That was WAY to easy...Chiefs offered nothing up in terms of resistance.