Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-2018, 11:59 PM   #121
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Even though it wound up being Backlund's goal, the Flames tweeted out the great goal celebration GIF for Bennett.

The canoe celebration:
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 12:10 AM   #122
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonkaupp View Post
It’s uhhh... a joke. Hyperbole meant to induce irony. A uh joke. Also, two of those goalies are on completely uncompetitive teams, 1 on a fringe team and he’s already on IR and the last is a still elite player with a ready to start up and comer behind him. So terrible comparison anyway
Just wasn't funny, and didn't work well as hyperbole.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 12:33 AM   #123
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Gaudreau wasn't at his best but he was two bars away from a two point night
Two bars? I thought they were at the Tkachuks’
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:26 AM   #124
Haplo
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
Who’s San Jose’s 3rd string goalie? Will they take a 2nd for him? At this rate, I think I’d rather have Rittich and Gillies battling it out. Smith has looked horriawful for 3/4 games.
Have you even seen Gillies' play in Stockton so far?
Haplo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 06:55 AM   #125
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Bang on.

You know what pisses me off about Smith the most. When he does what he did on that Steen goal. He’s giving it to Hanifin like it’s his fault Smith is standing on the goal line with a shot coming from 30’ out. He’s just an ass out there, I hate when goalies act like that. And he does it a lot.
Yeah I don't like it when he shows up his defensemen. It looks especially bad when he follows it up with that 4th goal where he makes another one of his mistakes wandering out of the net. Should the defensemen on that play give it to him for handing the Blues a free goal? He needs to be a better leader.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 07:02 AM   #126
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Too many weak goals getting past smith so far this season. Peters is clearly a better motivator than gulu as the guys haven't let it deflate their confidence yet but it definitely will. Hard to motivate yourself to play when your goalie cant even stop a muffin shot to the chest.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:19 AM   #127
Jaydee
Scoring Winger

Exp:

It honestly looks like Gaudreau forgot how to shoot the puck
Jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:30 AM   #128
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird game, Flames when they are off look really slow.

They had a poor start to the game, Blues took full command then they coasted due to the 5-1 lead.

Which allowed the Flames to generate some chances.... however this push was way to late.
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:53 AM   #129
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This isnt going to be popular around here but I must be missing something when watching Dube play, because I just dont see what everyone is getting excited about. I dont think he stays up and eventualy goes back to Stockton and we see one of Foo and Mangiapane getting some time with the big club.
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:56 AM   #130
FlamesNation23
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Too many weak goals getting past smith so far this season. Peters is clearly a better motivator than gulu as the guys haven't let it deflate their confidence yet but it definitely will. Hard to motivate yourself to play when your goalie cant even stop a muffin shot to the chest.
Lmao the dude just got a shutout the last game. Out of the 5 goals, maybe 2-3 were his fault. I'm not saying he played well, because he didnt but lets pump the brakes here.
FlamesNation23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesNation23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:02 AM   #131
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

My observations about Dube is that his split second decisions need to improve. At this level if there is a play to be made it needs to be made quickly because the passing lane or gap closes quickly. That being said it was nice seeing him get rewarded with a point. He made a great play to get to the puck to and chip it over to Bennett.
Robbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:04 AM   #132
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
It honestly looks like Gaudreau forgot how to shoot the puck
He honestly looked like a goof trying to fake out the goalie with his fake shots on the PP. Thought he was going to trip over his own feet a couple times. Left me shaking my head each time.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:14 AM   #133
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Its moments like this where Bill Peters can really make a difference.

The team played really bad in the 1st. Then picked it up as the game went along. Going into Colorado I hope that's his main focus is to have them ready right at puck drop and play and execute to their full potential.

Looked like a different team in that first period, not getting to loose pucks, not completing passes, lazy-slow plays. Every team loses, but the good teams come back with wins. Will be interesting to see.
8sPOT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #134
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
This isnt going to be popular around here but I must be missing something when watching Dube play, because I just dont see what everyone is getting excited about. I dont think he stays up and eventualy goes back to Stockton and we see one of Foo and Mangiapane getting some time with the big club.

I agree. I think Dube will be a regular nhl but isnt quite there yet.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:43 AM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I don't like it when he shows up his defensemen. It looks especially bad when he follows it up with that 4th goal where he makes another one of his mistakes wandering out of the net. Should the defensemen on that play give it to him for handing the Blues a free goal? He needs to be a better leader.
This can bug me too but Flames led the league in good guys for a long time. Now you have Smith and Neal who are known for having an ego but in theory being able to back it up.

How many times have you heard a player give an impressive interview and suddenly his value shoots up in the fans eyes?

Honestly whether Smith is the next Mr. Rogers or a selfish SOB, I just want someone who will stop the puck. Maybe it’s ok for these guys to get mad at each other once in a while.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:45 AM   #136
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Agree with a couple of points made above:

- Johnny’s fake shot and stumble, not once but twice, reminded me of a time long ago we had a few beers before hockey instead of after.
- Dube is an AHL level player right now who is showing some flashes but needs seasoning
- Bennett was the best player on the ice for the Flames
- Smith needs to stop playing the puck, definitely stop showing up his teammates, and bend the brim of his hat

I also retract my opinion that you should play a goalie after a shutout.

Most goalies, yes. This one.. would like to say yes, but maybe not so much
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:56 AM   #137
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I thought the Flames traded chances evenly with the Blues, but did not get the bounces/saves.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #138
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not going to win many games with goaltending like this. I think the team is already in the situation where they need to just go with the goaltender with the hot hand and forget about a pecking order as I think Smith is no longer consistent enough to be counted on as a starting goaltender. If neither of these guys can put anything together Treliving is going to have to pull the trigger on a trade as Smith is going to sink this team playing 3 stinkers out of every 4 games.
Kari Lehtonen has shown he can be a decent goalie in tandem situation. Wouldn't be surprised if he gets brought in if Rittich or Gillies falter. Or maybe Steve Mason. Given last season, you gotta think Treliving has a plan for the contingency of weak goaltending.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
We're 4 games in.

Four.

That's an extremely quick reaction so early in the season.
Did you miss the last couple months of last season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
"70 year old goalie"

Jesus...he's 36.

Luongo is 39
Anderson is 37
Lundqvist is 36
Rinne is 35.
The first three are at the stage of their careers where they're below average goaltenders, and this is probably Rinne's last season as the starter in Nashville.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 08:59 AM   #139
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKflames View Post
His skating and IQ have stood out. Allowed him to have a breakaway in Game 1, a high chance shot against Rinne in Game 3, and pick up an assist last night on the forecheck.

He probably hasn't earned PP spot ahead of Bennett, but he does look like a guy who's going to have a solid, if unspectacular rookie season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 10-12-2018 at 09:03 AM.
GranteedEV is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2018, 09:07 AM   #140
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Two bars? I thought they were at the Tkachuks’
Its a big house.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote