Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-11-2018, 09:35 PM   #81
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can talk about Smith but when your 2 best forwards are that horrifically bad, offensively and defensively ,you have little chance against a quality team.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:38 PM   #82
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Can talk about Smith but when your 2 best forwards are that horrifically bad, offensively and defensively ,you have little chance against a quality team.
Gaudreau had a rough night, but Tkachuk didn't look "horrifically bad". He even picked up an assist on the Ryan goal.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #83
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Gaudreau had a rough night, but Tkachuk didn't look "horrifically bad". He even picked up an assist on the Ryan goal.
As you well know, I was speaking of Monahan and Gaudreau.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:41 PM   #84
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
We're 4 games in.

Four.

That's an extremely quick reaction so early in the season.

Chill.
Smith is being judged on more than 4 games. His struggles go back to last season. And, yes, it is reminiscent of the the Gulutzen saga, with many constantly seeing a great revolution in results any day.

It reminds me of the producer of "It Never Ends" in the Simpsons episode Pygmoelian (starting at 1:13). . . .

Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:49 PM   #85
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I’m still not worried about Smith. He’s still looking for his best level and tonight was a step back but it’s sooo early.

Some guys are heating up and there’s definitely another level the team can get to. I’m extremely optimistic for this team. Hamonic out 3 rookies in, still integrating a bunch of new guys.

Some fans are so reactive and that’s fine and part of fandom but how many seasons do people have to watch before they realize not to panic early on?

I loved Hanifin and Brodie tonight. Bennett is playing great - I’m pulling for this kid and I know he’s going to come through big time. Can just see it.

I’m telling you, it’s going to be a great year. You’ll see.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Lebowski For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:52 PM   #86
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really don’t understand people saying “It’s only been 4 games, give Smith a break”. He’s been terrible since February. I’m definitely not putting the loss on him tonight but we should be very concerned about our goaltending situation. He’s 36, has sucked 3 of his 4 starts to start the year, and was is coming off a brutal second half last year. Below average goaltending does not get you into the playoffs, especially in the West. The thought of having another season derailed by goaltending doesn’t sit well with me.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #87
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I don't know.........I thought Smith looked pretty great early on. They should have been down a goal or two but Smith held the fort until the Flames went up by a goal. I think Steen's shot dipped or deflected, Rasmus made a poor play, Johhny misses the puck and his man and all of a sudden it's 3-1. Wasn't like Smith let in 3 softies.

I get that it would've been nice for him to make one of those stops, but it was one of those games. Flames were hitting posts, missing penalty shots, missing other high quality chances. Just one of those nights.

If Tre can somehow snag a stud #1 goalie, then great, he should be looking and I hope he does find one. But tonight wasn't a game to pin the loss on the goalie IMO.
3 were questionable IMO.

Steen’s and both Perron PP goals.

Steen goal isn’t “soft” but need to make a save 8 seconds after a goal, the 1st Perron PP he gets caught wandering, and the 5th goal was an on the ice shot from the point that needed to be saved.

He’s not the only reason they lost but overall he needs to be better than he was tonight.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:53 PM   #88
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Some fans are so reactive and that’s fine and part of fandom but how many seasons do people have to watch before they realize not to panic early on?

lol wut?

Because the Flames always bounce back from a slow start to the season?
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:54 PM   #89
JJFlash
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Not going to win many games with goaltending like this. I think the team is already in the situation where they need to just go with the goaltender with the hot hand and forget about a pecking order as I think Smith is no longer consistent enough to be counted on as a starting goaltender. If neither of these guys can put anything together Treliving is going to have to pull the trigger on a trade as Smith is going to sink this team playing 3 stinkers out of every 4 games.

This game wasn't all on Smith though as Gaudreau had a stinker and there were more than a few players that didn't have great games. Frolik playing his way into the press box.
We must be watching a different game. Smith was lights out in the fist 10 minutes. Eventually all the defensive miscues were going to catch up to us...and they did. Calgary made Hutton look good but they showed that if they started the game better they could have had a chance. Bennett was our best player. The top line was neutured. Our PP could have made s difference in this game.
JJFlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:55 PM   #90
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
At what point do they address the goalie issue? Now? Or wait until the season is lost?
Seems a bit premature to be talking about a “lost season” after going 2-2. Overreact much?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:56 PM   #91
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFlash View Post
We must be watching a different game. Smith was lights out in the fist 10 minutes. Eventually all the defensive miscues were going to catch up to us...and they did. Calgary made Hutton look good but they showed that if they started the game better they could have had a chance. Bennett was our best player. The top line was neutured. Our PP could have made s difference in this game.
You are definitely watching a different game. Hutton plays for the Sabres
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #92
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think he has to feel his way into his old play again. Takes you longer to bounce back from those injuries at his age. It's been slow and clunky but he is healthy and I think he'll work out the bugs. Making statements in not only October but early October typically looks foolish a few weeks down the road.

Can't have him starting more than 60 though. Probably 50-55 is best, if you don't go out and grab a 1B from somewhere.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 09:57 PM   #93
ST20
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Smith needs to scale back on the puck handling. Those screw ups are so demoralizing.
ST20 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ST20 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #94
Freddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I enjoyed the Flames 3rd period push, Rittich held the fort with poise while Peters leaned on the bottom 9 to re establish pressure on St Louis D and take time away from their decision making. The Flames look dangerous so far in the 4 games played.
Freddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:00 PM   #95
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

The Flames gave up too many high quality chances. Hard to blame Smith in this game.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:01 PM   #96
Joborule
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett is cursed. Does so damn much, but just can't get an official goal for himself. Hopefully when he finally pots one that counts, that's the breaking of the dam.

As for Smith, he's unreliable. The goaltending is the anchor for the team. That's what's gonna hold them back.
Joborule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:02 PM   #97
Macindoc
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
lol wut?

The Flames are in the middle of the pack, 2-2 after 4 games, 3 of them on the road. "Slow start" is an overly critical description of the season so far.

The Preds and Blues are quality teams that play exceptionally well in front of their wildly supportive fans. Did you expect to beat both of them in their own buildings?

Edit: Flames are currently still in a playoff position. Let's take it easy on the "slow start" talk.

Last edited by Macindoc; 10-11-2018 at 10:08 PM.
Macindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #98
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joborule View Post
Bennett is cursed. Does so damn much, but just can't get an official goal for himself. Hopefully when he finally pots one that counts, that's the breaking of the dam.

As for Smith, he's unreliable. The goaltending is the anchor for the team. That's what's gonna hold them back.
The big positive was that on the Neal goal it looked like Bennett was about to have his typical play where he comes so close but can't finish at the last second, but he made a great recovery to make the perfect pass to Neal for the empty net.

Loved Dube on the goal too. Attacked the puck carrier, deflecting the puck into the boards, then won the race to the puck against another Blue while making a perfect little pass to Bennett.

I really like Dube and Bennett together as a pair. Hopefully Neal can gel with them too.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2018, 10:04 PM   #99
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
lol wut?

4 games in. Hilarious overreaction.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #100
circle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Circle's 2 cents (or 5) this game:

A tough first 2 periods
- From the get go, it felt like one of those games where nothing was going the Flames way. The game started with a flurry of shots by the Blues where Smith looked sharp. It wasn't until Neal scored off a good play by both Dube and Bennett for an easy tap-in where the Flames finally got a break. But this break lasted only 12 second when suddenly all the momentum was sucked out of the team when Steen ripped a wrist-shot through Smith's arm to tie it up. From there, things continued to go downhill. Andersson made a very poor decision deciding to carry the puck back into the d-zone instead of making the safe and simple play which led to an easy tap-in for Perron. Flames did have their chances in the first couple of periods including a penalty shot from Mony, many chances on the 5-on-3.

Thoughts on Smith's performance
- Although Smith started the game strong, he had a weak game overall eventually having his night ended after the 2nd. The big blunder came from the mishandled puck behind the net for Perron's easy tap-in to make it 4-1. I love Smith's ability to play the puck but knowing when to play the puck is something Smith has to focus on going forward. Although the other 4 goals were by no means solely on Smith, there were chances for Smith to save a couple of them and that may have made the difference. Rittich looked solid in relief tonight, especially on the sequence where he had 4 consecutive saves in about a 4 second timespan. If Rittich does play in Colorado on the weekend, hopefully this 3rd period performance gives him confidence.

PP breakout continues to adapt
- The Flames were 0/4 on the PP tonight but I saw a lot of positives from the PP tonight. The breakout in particular I really liked. I probably touched on this on my last long post, but having someone skating alongside Gaudreau (Lindholm in this case) on the breakout gives him options whether that be pass off, give and go, or maybe it forces a defensive break where Gaudreau can skate in scot-free. I am of the mindset that when you have multiple players with speed going through the neutral zone on the PP, it forces the clogged neutral zone to back up more quickly allowing a more controlled zone entry. As well, in the case of a dump-in, you'll have Lindholm in on the forecheck which once again gives better options. As well, I liked the 2nd PP unit tonight but I think Bennett deserves a shot. More on this down below.

Bennett continues to play solid
- Bennett looked great again tonight. Started with a nice assist on Neal's first and followed this up with a handful of chances and good, smart plays (apart from his penalty). I especially liked Bennett's play where he almost jammed it into the net on a wraparound. Although no goals as of yet, Bennett is creating chances by making smarter decisions this year IMO. It will all come together if he keeps it up. Good to see Bennett is earning his increased ice-time.

The 3rd period pushback
- A never give-up attitude is what I saw from the Flames in the 3rd, just like in the home opener against Vancouver. Yes, it is a lofty goal to tie the game back up when down 4 going into the last 20 minutes of the game, but if the Flames show this kind of push when trailing in the 3rd for the rest of the season, we will steal many points along an 82 game season.