Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2018, 09:30 AM   #1621
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I'm not arguing for or against hitting. I tried to be as clear as possible with my post. At no point did I argue whether or not the hit was clean or dirty either. IMO it is not dirty based on the rules today. However. If you want to clean up head injuries then "committing to hits like that" is what the league needs to change.

I'm trying to articulate the other side of the fence, which is what the body check was originally intended and used for, encouraging people to give it some thought.

Drive by's don't help either, so I certainly see Jiri's frustration. It's annoying and doesn't add anything.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:33 AM   #1622
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Relax, that wasn’t a drive by. Claiming that body checking was never used as intimidation doesn’t help anything either. What evidence is there for that? I highly doubt, when the game was way scarier and more violent, that players never used a body check or physicality as intimidation.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:34 AM   #1623
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I personally don't buy the argument that Bennett couldn't stop himself from hitting Compher. I'm not saying he should have, but there were options beyond following through with a massive hit. IMO and easy for me to say since I've never played at that kind of pace and skill.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #1624
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think you're unfairly assuming that this hit was to 'hurt' rather than separate player from puck.

Players are fast, there is no obstruction anymore so they don't get slowed down. Faster player + bigger player = bigger hits.

Again, I don't know how you can remove a hit like this without removing all hitting. This wasn't an open ice hit, this wasn't a charge, it was 100% legal. Unless you can tell me what rule you would impliment to remove this hit and keep other hits?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:39 AM   #1625
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I personally don't buy the argument that Bennett couldn't stop himself from hitting Compher. I'm not saying he should have, but there were options beyond following through with a massive hit. IMO and easy for me to say since I've never played at that kind of pace and skill.
Bennett is a stick length away from Compher when he starts to get rid of it. Bennett already has his feet planted and is bracing himself for the hit. At that speed there is zero chance he can bail out.

If you expect players to bail out that close you are going to see a lot more blown out knees from accidental knee on knee hits.
Old 10-17-2018, 09:46 AM   #1626
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Do tell.
FWIW, one of the reasons sometimes given on why the Lady Byng Trophy exists is that the Lady Byng was dismayed by how violent hockey was, and wanted to encourage more sporting/gentlemanly play. That dates back to the 1920s. Hockey was, in fact, a rough, brutal sport in those days. Also, guys like Black Jack Stewart (a star defenceman of the 30s and 40s) earned their nicknames as a result of how violent they were.

The post war years - where hard, bitter men came back from the front lines and returned to the NHL - saw the rise of the enforcer. But, the peak came in the 70s as the massive talent dilution of major league hockey's expansion from six teams in 1966 to 28 by 1972 resulted in a lot of players who had no other skills suiting up. Especially in the minor leagues where hockey got its Slap Shot reputation.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #1627
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Back in the days of yore that's exactly what the bodycheck was. It was not used as an aggressive or intimidating play (from what I understand) until the 50's/60's. The Broad Street Bullies then took it to the next level, and everyone followed suit. Hockey evolved into Don Cherry rock em sock em, and the question being raised is "Has it gone too far"? It would appear the league is saying yes (in MOST instances, because we all know what the wheel of inconsistent justice is doing these days).

If by days of yore you mean the 30s-40s, maybe that's correct on checking. They didn't wear helmets, players were smaller and slower and there were no slapshots. But there was a ton of stickwork, fighting, and other dirty plays. Look at Lindsay and Richard.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:49 AM   #1628
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Bennett is a stick length away from Compher when he starts to get rid of it. Bennett already has his feet planted and is bracing himself for the hit. At that speed there is zero chance he can bail out.

If you expect players to bail out that close you are going to see a lot more blown out knees from accidental knee on knee hits.
I see a difference between bailing out and following through. But like I said, I'm not suggesting that's what he needed to do. If Compher hangs onto the puck, the result of the hit is the same.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:53 AM   #1629
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I see a difference between bailing out and following through. But like I said, I'm not suggesting that's what he needed to do. If Compher hangs onto the puck, the result of the hit is the same.
Maybe you can try and explain what you mean differently because I'm not sure what you mean?

You wanted him to hit him but less hard?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:55 AM   #1630
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Maybe a better solution is a bigger ice surface without a change to the hitting rules. I think there would be fewer hits (= fewer traumatic brain injuries) especially as you get to younger leagues with slower non-professionals, but you wouldn't be redefining a hit.

Whoever would wanna fund that throughout North America, though.
I think this is a decent idea, which has been discussed for years.

They could do a trial in Ottawa, eliminate a few rows to increase their sellout percentage at the same time.
CalgaryFan1988 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:56 AM   #1631
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:

That's not what I'm saying. The "big hit mentality", should you want these types of hits removed and players protected, has to be changed.

In this instance players wouldn't even be looking to hit anyone, and are more concerned with where the puck is going.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tron_fdc For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 09:58 AM   #1632
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's not what I'm saying. The "big hit mentality", should you want these types of hits removed and players protected, has to be changed.

In this instance players wouldn't even be looking to hit anyone, and are more concerned with where the puck is going.
But then in what situations is a hit allowed? How do you define a "big hit"?
Old 10-17-2018, 09:59 AM   #1633
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
If by days of yore you mean the 30s-40s, maybe that's correct on checking. They didn't wear helmets, players were smaller and slower and there were no slapshots. But there was a ton of stickwork, fighting, and other dirty plays. Look at Lindsay and Richard.
Sure. But we're not talking about stick work. We are talking about the bodycheck. I'd like to know what it was originally intended for. Intimidation? Retribution? Change of momentum? Or to simply separate player from puck.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:02 AM   #1634
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
But then in what situations is a hit allowed? How do you define a "big hit"?
And that is EXACTLY the crux.

Big, strong player separates small weak player from puck, and it results in a massive collision. With the size difference small player is injured.

I don't know how (or if) you can regulate that or prove intent.

But it's still a discussion, and there is nothing wrong with that.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:04 AM   #1635
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe you can try and explain what you mean differently because I'm not sure what you mean?

You wanted him to hit him but less hard?
Yeah, let up so Bennett takes most of the impact, flips upside down and throws his own head into the ice. Or dodge him and runs into the glass full speed.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:07 AM   #1636
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah, let up so Bennett takes most of the impact, flips upside down and throws his own head into the ice. Or dodge him and runs into the glass full speed.
You are still totally missing the point.

Players (not just Bennett) in this situation wouldn't even be looking to hit anyone, because the game has evolved away from the big hit mentality. They wouldn't be lining guys up in the first place.

Should you want to totally (or more so) remove head injuries, that's where the game is going.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:09 AM   #1637
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I’m not missing any points here.

I don’t think the “big hit mentality” is the main cause. The game is faster than it has ever been which has resulted in hits being significantly more violent.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 10:11 AM   #1638
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And that is EXACTLY the crux.

Big, strong player separates small weak player from puck, and it results in a massive collision. With the size difference small player is injured.

I don't know how (or if) you can regulate that or prove intent.

But it's still a discussion, and there is nothing wrong with that.
See but you are saying you aren't for or against removing big hits. I was asking Strange Brew his thoughts as he said there is a difference between bailing out and following through.

In my mind you can't take a hit like this out of the game unless you take out all hitting. Basically the only way to remove hits like this is say you can't hit anyone travelling a different direction than you, and you are left with players being rubbed out along the boards.
Old 10-17-2018, 11:41 AM   #1639
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll wade back in as it seems like folks objected to me bowing out which wasn't my intent.

I think the Sam check is an important part of the conversation as it really pushes to think about what checking is now and what it should be. And the ramifications of evolving the game.

For me, a lot of what I want to do is simply provoke that conversation. How far should the sport re-define the concept of body checking with what we now know about concussions. A hit like this, is not illegal at all, so it provides an important example to debate. The stuff that is way over the line is easier, as the debate is more about how to eliminate that stuff. The stuff that is in the squishy middle is hard.

My view is that concepts like "finishing your check" need to be removed. That the entire sense that intimidation and violence is part of the game, is what needs to shift.

How you go about doing that though is very hard. What would this check have looked like if Sam had just intended to do enough to take the puck? I don't know for sure, but those are the questions I'm interested in posing and discussing.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:50 AM   #1640
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I'll wade back in as it seems like folks objected to me bowing out which wasn't my intent.

I think the Sam check is an important part of the conversation as it really pushes to think about what checking is now and what it should be. And the ramifications of evolving the game.

For me, a lot of what I want to do is simply provoke that conversation. How far should the sport re-define the concept of body checking with what we now know about concussions. A hit like this, is not illegal at all, so it provides an important example to debate. The stuff that is way over the line is easier, as the debate is more about how to eliminate that stuff. The stuff that is in the squishy middle is hard.

My view is that concepts like "finishing your check" need to be removed. That the entire sense that intimidation and violence is part of the game, is what needs to shift.

How you go about doing that though is very hard. What would this check have looked like if Sam had just intended to do enough to take the puck? I don't know for sure, but those are the questions I'm interested in posing and discussing.

Anyone who thinks the Sam Bennett on Compher hit needs to be removed from hockey needs to find a new sport to watch...
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Boy Wonder For This Useful Post: