Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2021, 11:02 AM   #14441
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dammit. Can Heiskenan? Kiril K?
Not sure about anyone else, my knowledge starts and stops with Makar on this one.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:11 AM   #14442
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty sure Kaprizov is ineligible, which is why threatening to go KHL was his only leverage
Old 06-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #14443
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Pretty sure Kaprizov is ineligible, which is why threatening to go KHL was his only leverage
Old 06-28-2021, 11:22 AM   #14444
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dammit. Can Heiskenan? Kiril K?
I think that chances that Calgary offers sheets anyone is slim and none, but even less chance of them accepting one from Calgary.

It's not like Calgary has much cap space to play around with, nor is Calgary a particularly sought after destination.

I know we all throw around offer sheets like they actually happen all of the time, but the number that gets accepted are few and far between. And then the other team matches, albeit often reluctantly.
Old 06-28-2021, 11:28 AM   #14445
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The Flames have no business offer sheeting anyone.

An offer sheet sending multiple firsts, as a team that's had among the fewest draft picks in the league the last 5 years, with one of the league's worst prospect pools, would be an unmitigated disaster.

Like, Brooklyn Nets bad when they sent all those picks for KG and Paul Pierce, which set their franchise back years.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to howard_the_duck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 11:40 AM   #14446
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
I think that chances that Calgary offers sheets anyone is slim and none, but even less chance of them accepting one from Calgary.

It's not like Calgary has much cap space to play around with, nor is Calgary a particularly sought after destination.

I know we all throw around offer sheets like they actually happen all of the time, but the number that gets accepted are few and far between. And then the other team matches, albeit often reluctantly.
Oh, I know. Makar would have been one RFA worth trying given this is his home town (though I think home town is way overrated as a factor around here).
Old 06-28-2021, 11:53 AM   #14447
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's anyone worth offer sheeting, it's Point when he goes RFA next year.
Would much rather give up 10+ mill and 4 1st round picks for him than Pettersson.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 12:16 PM   #14448
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
The Flames have no business offer sheeting anyone.

An offer sheet sending multiple firsts, as a team that's had among the fewest draft picks in the league the last 5 years, with one of the league's worst prospect pools, would be an unmitigated disaster.

Like, Brooklyn Nets bad when they sent all those picks for KG and Paul Pierce, which set their franchise back years.
The Nets analogy is pretty terrible. Offer sheets are for young players who can be part of a team for the long term. Pettersson is 22, Hughes is 21 those could be core pieces for a long time.

The Nets traded a ton of futures and pick swaps to get players well past their prime with only 1-2 years left in the league. It would be like the Flames spending a boatload of futures on Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci. 2 great players part of a top team but clearly near the end of their careers.

On a side note I wonder if pick swaps will ever catch on in the NHL like they have in the NBA. I believe the CBA in basketball limits the amount of consecutive 1st round picks a team can trade so a popular think these days is giving the team swap rights for their pick. For instance say the Flames and Jackets did an Anderson for Monahan and pick swap in 21. Flames would then obviously take the option of swapping 12th overall for 5th overall but if the Flames finished worse they would not be obligated to make the swap
Old 06-28-2021, 12:17 PM   #14449
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

One could offer 10.9M and it's only two 1sts (+2nd+3rd)

$8,726,189 - $10,907,735
2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator
Old 06-28-2021, 12:36 PM   #14450
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
One could offer 10.9M and it's only two 1sts (+2nd+3rd)

$8,726,189 - $10,907,735
2 First Round Picks
1 Second Round Pick
1 Third Round Pick

https://www.capfriendly.com/offer-sheet-calculator
I've read about 2-3 pages of "offer sheeting" $10,000,000 to various and sundry players. We don't and won't have $10,000,000. Go look at cap geek again and remember the club needs at least 22 -23 paid contracts.

Maybe the dumbest string in here in a while. Offer sheet? With what? Buttons?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GS Skier For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 12:45 PM   #14451
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Skier View Post
I've read about 2-3 pages of "offer sheeting" $10,000,000 to various and sundry players. We don't and won't have $10,000,000. Go look at cap geek again and remember the club needs at least 22 -23 paid contracts.

I think the general idea if a player is added with an offersheet, then you trade a Monahan to recoup picks/prospects. Capfriendly currently has us with 14M space. So 10M in, 6.4M out. Still still 10Mish to sign players to fill out the roster.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:50 PM   #14452
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Offer sheets are always a stupid conversation. We all know they aren't realistic, based on history. But it's almost July, so what do you expect.

But with Tkachuk, Gio and Gaudreau up after next year, Lucic and Monahan soon as well, it's possible to open up a lot of cap if the Flames go crazy (which they won't).
Old 06-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #14453
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cap geek? 2015 just called…
Old 06-28-2021, 12:53 PM   #14454
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think the general idea if a player is added with an offersheet, then you trade a Monahan to recoup picks/prospects. Capfriendly currently has us with 14M space. So 10M in, 6.4M out. Still still 10Mish to sign players to fill out the roster.
There is also the chance Gio goes to Seattle and his 6.75M comes off the books.

I can’t see how Monahan goes out as a cap dump unless the return is something like a 3rd. He doesn’t have value for another team to absorb his full cap hit and give up assets.

I think we are looking at a similar aged winger or Dman in return for Monahan I think it could be a swap of disappointing players needing a change of scenery.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:56 PM   #14455
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
There is also the chance Gio goes to Seattle and his 6.75M comes off the books.

I can’t see how Monahan goes out as a cap dump unless the return is something like a 3rd. He doesn’t have value for another team to absorb his full cap hit and give up assets.

I think we are looking at a similar aged winger or Dman in return for Monahan I think it could be a swap of disappointing players needing a change of scenery.
I think you are completely undervaluing him if you think he is only worth a 3rd.
Old 06-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #14456
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

31 thoughts
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...t-allegations/

Summary:
Simmonds will be back in TOR

Firm denials that Tkachuk wants out of Calgary, unlike when Seth Jones wanting out of Columbus leaked
Flames refused to include Tkachuk in PLD trade talks

Flyers are definitely working on acquiring Seth Jones

Eichel talks have quieted down for now but may pick up again when they hire a coach

Has heard Arvidsson is available

Speculates that Kraken might take Giordano in the expansion draft and flip him while retaining salary

offer sheet compensation:

Thinks Devils would move 4th OA for a a good young dman

Both Foegele and Canes appear to want a change.

Can't find anyone who doesn't believe Ovechkin's next contract is "in the drawer" until after the expansion draft

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-28-2021 at 01:09 PM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:00 PM   #14457
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
I think you are completely undervaluing him if you think he is only worth a 3rd.
I think you are completely overlooking the economics of the league and ignoring the horrible play and injuries of Monahan in recent years if you think he can have his entire cap moved out without taking salary back while also getting amazing value.

Monahan can be moved in a hockey trade but what teams are lining up to shell out assets to take him on when they could sign Nuge for a smaller cap hit with no assets going the other way?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:05 PM   #14458
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://apple.news/A6bf1yNgqTW-YslRv_W2LzQ

Wild and Jackets out on Eichel (story from Apple news via THN)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #14459
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
https://apple.news/A6bf1yNgqTW-YslRv_W2LzQ

Wild and Jackets out on Eichel (story from Apple news via THN)
I bet that when teams look at the medical reports, which they all do, they just say not worth the risk.
Old 06-28-2021, 01:15 PM   #14460
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
31 thoughts
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article...t-allegations/

Summary:

Speculates that Kraken might take Giordano in the expansion draft and flip him while retaining salary
You left out the best part at the end of that bit

"Either player makes sense for someone like Edmonton."

Gio as an Oiler. Chaos.
Closed Thread