Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-16-2024, 10:06 PM   #2741
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Something just doesn't sound right with what you are doing, because the impact gun shouldn't have any bearing on damaging wheel nuts. Shops use more powerful air impact tools all the time. Perhaps your socket is worn? An impact gun is also less likely to break bolts. The clicking and clacking on loosening is normal, even if it makes you feel like it is doing damage. When you put them on, you just go until the first impact noise and then switch tools, or use a torque bar and don't worry about it.
The sockets were new. Maybe they were bad quality and not quite the right size/snugness? But I'm using them fine with the breaker bar. I'd also often run into issues where the lug nut often comes off and it'd be stuck inside the socket with that impact wrench. Easy enough to tap the socket on the ground to loosen it, but occasionally I'd need to push something through the other side to knock it out. Certainly annoying, but I was concerned it was the start of a bigger issue.

Or... could it be a SAE vs metric size difference that was only noticeable when the torque was high enough? The sockets are fine when using the breaker bar. It's only when I used those sockets with the electric impact wrench that they'd get stuck inside the socket and a wear on the hexagon edges would occasionally be noticed.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 06:23 AM   #2742
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Were you using actual impact sockets? Or just regular ones? The black vs chrome makes a difference.
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2024, 07:03 AM   #2743
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
The sockets were new. Maybe they were bad quality and not quite the right size/snugness? But I'm using them fine with the breaker bar. I'd also often run into issues where the lug nut often comes off and it'd be stuck inside the socket with that impact wrench. Easy enough to tap the socket on the ground to loosen it, but occasionally I'd need to push something through the other side to knock it out. Certainly annoying, but I was concerned it was the start of a bigger issue.

Or... could it be a SAE vs metric size difference that was only noticeable when the torque was high enough? The sockets are fine when using the breaker bar. It's only when I used those sockets with the electric impact wrench that they'd get stuck inside the socket and a wear on the hexagon edges would occasionally be noticed.
If the nut sticks in the socket, just manually thread it back on the wheel stud a turn and pull. Is it 19mm? Do the lug nuts possibly have those crappy chrome caps that swell?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:02 AM   #2744
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
My neighbourhood guy changes tires (on rims) for $20. I give him $30. It’s not worth my time, plus I’m old.

Edit: typed wrong price; charges $20, not $25.
$20 is a good price, Urban X charges $50, but they can get you in pretty much the next day if you can leave the vehicle with them.

To my amazement, Discount Tire does changeovers for FREE.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:09 AM   #2745
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

I thought most places did them free if you purchased from them originally? I just stopped because it was inconvenient. I think Country Tire and UrbanX did that?
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 10:53 AM   #2746
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Were you using actual impact sockets? Or just regular ones? The black vs chrome makes a difference.
Don't ever use regular sockets in an impact. They might shatter.
Old 04-17-2024, 10:53 AM   #2747
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I thought most places did them free if you purchased from them originally? I just stopped because it was inconvenient. I think Country Tire and UrbanX did that?
UrbanX does for sure, as does Costco.
Old 04-17-2024, 01:31 PM   #2748
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazam View Post
UrbanX does for sure, as does Costco.
Really? I didn't know Costco did this. Maybe I knew this but gave up trying due to the difficulty of making a timely appointment to have them changed.
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 01:34 PM   #2749
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

I used to use Urban X. Then I tried to book something (several calls) with them a year or two ago and they never called back.

Not sure why but I just stopped going there after that.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 02:19 PM   #2750
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
Really? I didn't know Costco did this. Maybe I knew this but gave up trying due to the difficulty of making a timely appointment to have them changed.
They sure do as long as you bought from them.
Old 04-17-2024, 02:32 PM   #2751
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
I used to use Urban X. Then I tried to book something (several calls) with them a year or two ago and they never called back.

Not sure why but I just stopped going there after that.

They seemed to be bad as far as communication goes. They seemed a bit overrated after dealing with them. Like, they weren’t bad, but the whole tire buying experience wasn’t as orgasmic as some people made it out to be. Pretty standard place. Not disappointed, but not blown away in any sense.

One note, when we did get our tires swapped, they did say the south and north locations weren’t the same, so they swapped the tires for free at the time, but it sounded like that wasn’t something they’d do if you bought your tires from the south location and tried to get then swapped later in the north.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2024, 04:03 PM   #2752
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
They seemed to be bad as far as communication goes. They seemed a bit overrated after dealing with them. Like, they weren’t bad, but the whole tire buying experience wasn’t as orgasmic as some people made it out to be. Pretty standard place. Not disappointed, but not blown away in any sense.

One note, when we did get our tires swapped, they did say the south and north locations weren’t the same, so they swapped the tires for free at the time, but it sounded like that wasn’t something they’d do if you bought your tires from the south location and tried to get then swapped later in the north.
They just don't screw you over on price. And they won't oversell you either.

Some places charge a TPMS fee. Like you have a choice these days.

Also they're really quick. It took Costco all day to rotate my tires. Despite me making an appointment. It was hardly worth the free cost. UrbanX north rotated my tires in 20 minutes.
Old 04-18-2024, 02:38 AM   #2753
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Hmm maybe that's it. Not black, it is socket set for tire swap, so I assumed it'd be OK?

https://a.co/d/96HQVMR

It's this set.

https://a.co/d/7ANpW6O

I was thinking to buy something like this as a spare set.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote