Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 12:30 PM   #4921
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Oilers ended up dodging a bullet by missing out on the Jacob Markstrom sweepstakes. They pivoted at that point and ended up with Tyson Barrie, that would not have happened if they had landed Markstrom. The problem for them this year with a flat salary cap is RNH and Barrie are UFA's, will be tough to sign them both.
Barrie is going to cash. You don't make the gamble that he did (which he is winning) and then decide that you don't want the payoff. He will be offered a long term big money deal. If the Oilers are smart, they will dodge that bullet as well. I could see them giving him the Pietrangelo contract though.
Old 03-30-2021, 12:38 PM   #4922
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barrie will get RNH’s money when he leaves. Then they’ll trade a couple seconds for an upcoming UFA to fill his spot.
Old 03-30-2021, 01:11 PM   #4923
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Edmonton firefighters were called to put out a massive, flaming pile of garbage Tuesday morning
https://edmonton.ctvnews.ca/heavy-sm...ntre-1.5367842
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 01:55 PM   #4924
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
Barrie is going to cash. You don't make the gamble that he did (which he is winning) and then decide that you don't want the payoff. He will be offered a long term big money deal. If the Oilers are smart, they will dodge that bullet as well. I could see them giving him the Pietrangelo contract though.
The Oilers are is a tough spot the next 2 summers. They have cap space but they have 3 key guys becoming UFA's in the next 2 years and all 3 are nowhere near what they numbers say the are.

Nuge is putting up numbers that suggest he could command $7.5 to $8. IMO he is no better than Monahan and is really just a $6 mil player. I'm not saying he won't sign for less than $7.5 but I doubt he takes less than $7 and IMO he isn't worth that in a league that will have a flat cap for a couple years

Barrie is putting up numbers that could get him $8.5 +. IMO he also is probably a $6 mil player.

Nurse is putting up numbers that could get him $10 mil. He's on pace for what could be a 30 goal season and 60+ points and a +50 season. IMO he is probably a $7 mil player (Maybe less but he is playing well this year)

I just don't see Edmonton having any forward prospects that have a hope of making an impact on this team in the next 2 years. Nuge will be tough to lose but he also is a huge risk of getting over paid.

Barrie probably signed there to pad his stats so I doubt he even commits to Edmonton.

Nurse contract history doesn't suggest he is 100% wanting to stay in Edmonton his whole career.

They can't afford to give these guys bad contract, can't afford to just lose them and are not in a position to trade them. They also typically don't attract replacement's via UFA and they are already short picks this year to trade for some good players with good contracts

Can't imagine McDavid and Draisaitl would be happy losing these guys for nothing.

They also have the wrong goalie playing well. If Koskinen was playing like Smith maybe they could ignore that position this off season. Their fans think they dodged a bullet not signing Markstrom but he's still way better than Koskinen and Smith is 39. He is a bandaid too. He could get hurt at the wrong time and their season is over quickly. His play could always slip very quickly too

Last edited by Macho0978; 03-30-2021 at 01:56 PM. Reason: typo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Macho0978 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #4925
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Put me in the camp that's glad Barrie is earning an overpriced and overlong extension there, which Edmonton will pay for to keep him. Side benefit is it seals Nuge's departure.

Top heavy team gets even more lopsided.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 02:37 PM   #4926
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

No clue where you guys get your info from. Barrie/Holland haven’t even talked contract ext. RNH is in negotiations and reported in the 6-6.5 range. Don’t think they will be signing Barrie to a massive contract and send Nuge packing.

I like Barrie but am ok if he walks. He bet on himself and it’s paying off. Klefbom had successful surgery and if he’s back softens the blow. Plus I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Bouchard and think he is going to be a player in the mood of Barrie anyways.

Not a terrible problem to have.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:41 PM   #4927
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
No clue where you guys get your info from. Barrie/Holland haven’t even talked contract ext. RNH is in negotiations and reported in the 6-6.5 range. Don’t think they will be signing Barrie to a massive contract and send Nuge packing.

I like Barrie but am ok if he walks. He bet on himself and it’s paying off. Klefbom had successful surgery and if he’s back softens the blow. Plus I’ve liked what I’ve seen from Bouchard and think he is going to be a player in the mood of Barrie anyways.

RNH would be dumb not to test the UFA market and see what offers are available before committing to the Oilers.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kukkudo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2021, 02:45 PM   #4928
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
RNH would be dumb not to test the UFA market and see what offers are available before committing to the Oilers.
Ok.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:50 PM   #4929
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like your line of thinking. Let Barrie walk, assuming RNH is going to stay. Planning for Klefbom back from a year off and rookie Bouchard slotted into #3 is all you need. Then RNH leaves anyway. Holland then takes his spare cash and overpays a post apex UFA forward. Bingo bango bongo, multiple Stanley Cups full of Ron MacLean wine or beer.
Old 03-30-2021, 02:51 PM   #4930
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

We're speculating on a message board.

If Holland can stop himself on Barrie, that will be a win. But he hasn't been the most reliable at this trait, so it's interesting to speculate on, of course.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:12 PM   #4931
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
This may have been asked and answered on previous posts here or on a another forum, but why is James Neal riding in the Taxi? Is he slightly injured or something.

He's only played 17 games or so.... and I know he hasn't been great... but remember last year when he and McDavid were going all around on the video tour, he was one of the "in" four.... and is he OUT now?

I'm so glad he was better last year, just good enough to get us a third round pick, and if he's "OUT" and sucking now, that's just icing.
I think the Oilers should buy him out, which is what the Flames should have done in the first place.

That or offer someone a first rounder to take the last two years but that is probably a non starter...... I think Toronto had to pay a first to dump one year of Marleau.
Old 03-30-2021, 03:13 PM   #4932
pikester
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I think everyone, especially Holland, realizes Barrie purposely signed a below average 1 year deal with Edmonton just to pad his stats to get big money. Unless Barrie absolutely ends up loving being in Edmonton & signs a team friendly 3-5 year deal ( which is unlikely), he walks & the Oilers move on as expected. They’d be further ahead throwing some assets & draft picks at Nashville for Ekholm if they want to get serious about picking up a good, seasoned top 4 defenseman. He has only a $3.75 mil cap hit this year & next; That gives Holland a bit of time to make the numbers work as time for an extension nears.
Old 03-30-2021, 04:27 PM   #4933
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
I think the Oilers should buy him out, which is what the Flames should have done in the first place.

That or offer someone a first rounder to take the last two years but that is probably a non starter...... I think Toronto had to pay a first to dump one year of Marleau.
The Flames did a buy out to sign someone. Brouwer got bought out to sign Neal which was a big mistake. At some point you can’t just keep making that move

Oil probably better off trading a first to get rid of Neal. But they already lost a 3rd and retained salary on lucic. Now trade a first seems like it getting very expensive to get rid of lucic/neal

Also the oilers are potential buyers this deadline and already down a 2nd and 3rd. Trade the 4th for a rental and a first to get rid of Neal. First pick next draft could be a 5th in a year they could lose 2 big ufas

I get Klefbom coming back makes losing Barrie not that bad but how many years lost to shoulder surgery will it take for him to not be that good anymore?
Old 03-30-2021, 04:29 PM   #4934
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikester View Post
I think everyone, especially Holland, realizes Barrie purposely signed a below average 1 year deal with Edmonton just to pad his stats to get big money. Unless Barrie absolutely ends up loving being in Edmonton & signs a team friendly 3-5 year deal ( which is unlikely), he walks & the Oilers move on as expected. They’d be further ahead throwing some assets & draft picks at Nashville for Ekholm if they want to get serious about picking up a good, seasoned top 4 defenseman. He has only a $3.75 mil cap hit this year & next; That gives Holland a bit of time to make the numbers work as time for an extension nears.
Not sure what the oilers would trade. If they did I assume their first isn’t enough. Down picks already and important players being ufas can they trade top prospects or firsts to get him
Old 03-30-2021, 08:24 PM   #4935
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok.
Well, it's true?

It's so Oilers fan to be adverse to any reality that isn't pro-Oilers, best case scenario in your minds.

You assume what you want will happen when you guys have a long and fruitful track record of your management finding ways to #### these things up.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #4936
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where is your info coming from?
I'd be surprised to see RNH sign that cheap, lots of teams need a top 6 centre.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:55 PM   #4937
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
RNH is a 2C. Frankly 6-6.5 is pretty much the top end. It’s Braden Schenn money, which seems more than fair.
Old 03-30-2021, 09:10 PM   #4938
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Except there's always one of two GM's that are willing to blow their brains out. RNH isn't great but he can play center and wing, and is fairly responsible and has some nice offensive skills.

Add to that he might be one of the most in demand free agents out there, and his agent is screaming don't sign crap.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 03-30-2021, 09:12 PM   #4939
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Well, it's true?

It's so Oilers fan to be adverse to any reality that isn't pro-Oilers, best case scenario in your minds.

You assume what you want will happen when you guys have a long and fruitful track record of your management finding ways to #### these things up.
I don’t know how that’s adverse to reality, but I do know it’s been stated that he wants to stay in Edmonton, his wife wants to as well, and they are currently talking extension. You’re the one making up anti-oilers worst case scenarios here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacks View Post
Rishaug

https://twitter.com/tsnryanrishaug/s...980232704?s=21
Old 03-30-2021, 09:34 PM   #4940
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Except there's always one of two GM's that are willing to blow their brains out. RNH isn't great but he can play center and wing, and is fairly responsible and has some nice offensive skills.

Add to that he might be one of the most in demand free agents out there, and his agent is screaming don't sign crap.
Fair enough. Unless the feelers in this weird off season say he’s getting lowball offers from other teams. He’s a guy lots of teams already have. And can’t afford two of.
Closed Thread