Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-15-2013, 11:11 AM   #101
JohnnyNipshank
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I have a RBC Platinum Avion and have accumulated 100,000+ points. I plan on redeeming them towards flights at a later date. On my Statement this month i saw a note saying I could receive 1.5 Avios for every 1 rbc reward point. Has anyone done this yet or should i just stick with the RBC points?
Old 07-15-2013, 11:49 AM   #102
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNipshank View Post
I have a RBC Platinum Avion and have accumulated 100,000+ points. I plan on redeeming them towards flights at a later date. On my Statement this month i saw a note saying I could receive 1.5 Avios for every 1 rbc reward point. Has anyone done this yet or should i just stick with the RBC points?
It depends what you're going to use them for. If you want a Business/First class ticket to europe and are willing to pay the high fuel surcharges BA charges, then switching to avios can be a great deal at the 1.5x multiplier. If you're planning to use them for economy class flights I wouldn't do it.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM   #103
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
The american express gold card is a very good one. Now it offers 20k bonus points and first year free.

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IeDQ0bCQ%3D%3D

another one is the Amex SPG card. It offers 21k bonus points for signing up now:

https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...IWHxcJDw%3D%3D

I have both cards, and I love the insurances come with the card.
Amex has a points to travel credit promotion: AMEX MR Promo 1000pts = 12,50$ in credit (25% bonus) (end august 31st). If anyone has Amex points, it is good time to change it to credit. It can be applied to any purchases, not only for travel.

Last edited by caff; 07-16-2013 at 09:44 AM.
caff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #104
Daliwan
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
Amex has a points to travel credit promotion: AMEX MR Promo 1000pts = 12,50$ in credit (25% bonus) (end august 31st). If anyone has Amex points, it is good time to change it to credit. It can be applied to any purchases, not only for travel.
I did not notice this. I always transfer my points to other programs but this is a very good deal. I will try to redeem some points for credit.
Daliwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 02:16 PM   #105
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Aeroplan change is awesome for me. All my AMEX corporate reward points get changed to Aeroplan when I accrue enough to do the swap, and I already have ~60,000 Aeroplan points from my CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite.

When I get enough, I'll definitely be taking a nice vacation somewhere tropical.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #106
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The Aeroplan change is awesome for me. All my AMEX corporate reward points get changed to Aeroplan when I accrue enough to do the swap, and I already have ~60,000 Aeroplan points from my CIBC Aerogold Visa Infinite.

When I get enough, I'll definitely be taking a nice vacation somewhere tropical.
Good for you. This is a smart and easy way to get free trips.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:47 AM   #107
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daliwan View Post
I did not notice this. I always transfer my points to other programs but this is a very good deal. I will try to redeem some points for credit.
Yeah, that is the best way to use your points. You can also transfer to SPG points if you need hotels.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #108
MissAvery16
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What's the difference between the Platinum Avion and Infinite Avion with RBC? They look the same..am I missing something here..

Platinum:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...num-avion.html

Infinite:

http://www.rbcroyalbank.com/credit-c...ite-avion.html
MissAvery16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:10 PM   #109
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyNipshank View Post
Avios are actually a great program for short-haul North American flights as you can use them with Alaska Air, American Airlines and a few other of their partner airlines. I get short-haul flights for as low as 9000 points each way and taxes are WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than Avion and Aaeroplan.

I switched about 100,000 Avion points to BA Avios for that very reason. They usually do this promo 2-3 times a year.

Jason
Hi-Psi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #110
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAvery16 View Post
What's the difference between the Platinum Avion and Infinite Avion with RBC? They look the same..am I missing something here..

Platinum:

Infinite:

Haven't you heard? Black is the new platinum.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM   #111
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissAvery16 View Post

Platinum:

Infinite:

Using the handy card comparison tool it would look like the only difference is the infinite card has a minimum household income of 60k associated with it.

If you get the platinum card then clearly you will be judged by those in the know...

seriously though, the pamphlet the branch game me a while back had a much more complete comparison chart...has to be something meaningful different. go to a branch and ask.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:05 PM   #112
Maccalus
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Using the handy card comparison tool it would look like the only difference is the infinite card has a minimum household income of 60k associated with it.

If you get the platinum card then clearly you will be judged by those in the know...

seriously though, the pamphlet the branch game me a while back had a much more complete comparison chart...has to be something meaningful different. go to a branch and ask.
Well 2 differences I can see right of the bat are the 25% more points when booking travel and the premium insurance package(more extensive) on the infinite card.
Maccalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #113
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Good to know we can use BA Avois for short haul flight to the US. I transferred lots of Amex points to BA Avois when they have 1:1.5 transfer promotion in March.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #114
caff
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hi-Psi View Post
Avios are actually a great program for short-haul North American flights as you can use them with Alaska Air, American Airlines and a few other of their partner airlines. I get short-haul flights for as low as 9000 points each way and taxes are WAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than Avion and Aaeroplan.

I switched about 100,000 Avion points to BA Avios for that very reason. They usually do this promo 2-3 times a year.

Jason
I tried to book a flight YYC to LAX using Avios but could't find any available flight for the next 6 months. So how do you book the short haul flights using BA Avios? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:19 AM   #115
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by caff View Post
I tried to book a flight YYC to LAX using Avios but could't find any available flight for the next 6 months. So how do you book the short haul flights using BA Avios? Thanks.
I find the best way to find short haul flights with BA is to go to the American Airlines website and search the American Advantage(points) flights. They are worth the same as BA points and you can book their flights through BA.

That should give you options for pretty much all of the US

Jason
Old 07-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #116
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I just saw this while on Amazon.ca, they have a card that says if you use it abroad it won't charge foreign currency transaction fees. Was wondering if this would actually be worth it or not? i'm unsure how much this transaction fee is?

Details on their page here.

Thoughts?
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:37 PM   #117
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Usually you get charged 2.5% just for the conversion plus roughly a couple percent off the actual conversion rate. Usually it's about 5% more converting from US to Canadian on most major CC's.

Personally I wouldn't go with it as there are a ton of great CC's out there that provide way better incentives and decent rewards points.
Old 07-31-2013, 08:10 PM   #118
CarlW
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Usually you get charged 2.5% just for the conversion plus roughly a couple percent off the actual conversion rate. Usually it's about 5% more converting from US to Canadian on most major CC's.

Personally I wouldn't go with it as there are a ton of great CC's out there that provide way better incentives and decent rewards points.
I was thinking of getting it just for the express purpose of usage when abroad in Asia, USA, etc. so that I wouldn't get dinged that conversion fee.
CarlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:05 PM   #119
Hi-Psi
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You get dinged the conversion fee when you pay the credit card off with your CAD funds anyway...
Old 08-05-2013, 02:01 PM   #120
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You get dinged the conversion fee when you pay the credit card off with your CAD funds anyway...
It's a Canadian card. All transactions are charged to it in Canadian funds.

Tags
credit card , credit cards , rewards points