Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2020, 02:49 PM   #121
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cSpooge View Post
speaking of that... don't forget to do your attestation for CERB for the 2nd period this week when it's your day.

Do I do that through my EI report or somewhere else? I did my latest ei report on Friday of last week.

Edit I went to my revenue canada through my services canada account and it had this

ur records indicate that you have already applied for Employment Insurance (EI) or the Canada Emergency Response Benefit (CERB) through Service Canada. Please complete your reports with Service Canada to continue receiving your benefits. You are unable to apply for CERB through the CRA.

So I assume I just keep filling in my EI reports to continue with Cerb.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 04-13-2020 at 02:52 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:53 PM   #122
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Do I do that through my EI report or somewhere else? I did my latest ei report on Friday of last week.

you either do it through you MSCA or CRA My Account. I know for the CRA version, it adds the next period to the drop down, not 100% sure about MSCA but I assume it's the same thing.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2020, 02:56 PM   #123
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

yeah did my EI report through MSCA for last week, the next time I can do a report is April 25th, so I assume I'm ok. Thanks for the info?

Old 04-13-2020, 02:57 PM   #124
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
yeah did my EI report through MSCA for last week, the next time I can do a report is April 25th, so I assume I'm ok. Thanks for the info?

yeah if you covered until the 25th you're good.
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cSpooge For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 10:54 AM   #125
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Anyone have any good news to share. This is getting outright depressing.

A couple of things.

I had an interview yesterday, it was a 10 minute pre interview to the interview stage because they had so many applicants. Now its not a position that I'm all fired up about, I could do it, and do it well, but I don't have much interest in the field, so I'm torn, but on the other hand its good practice, and its an opportunity.

I was applying for one position today, and they wanted answers to essay questions.

What would you do in your first 90 days? What would be the measure of success in this position? Why would this be a good match. Realistically its dumb, part of interviewing is to see if there is a personality match, how a person handles pressures and questions. Having people write essays to me is just lazy recruiting.

Fewer and fewer positions to apply for and a lot are more then 30 days old, which makes me assume that companies are just sitting on applicants til things get clearer.

I guess I just have to keep the faith that things will work out.

Old 04-15-2020, 12:02 PM   #126
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A couple of things.

I had an interview yesterday, it was a 10 minute pre interview to the interview stage because they had so many applicants. Now its not a position that I'm all fired up about, I could do it, and do it well, but I don't have much interest in the field, so I'm torn, but on the other hand its good practice, and its an opportunity.

I was applying for one position today, and they wanted answers to essay questions.

What would you do in your first 90 days? What would be the measure of success in this position? Why would this be a good match. Realistically its dumb, part of interviewing is to see if there is a personality match, how a person handles pressures and questions. Having people write essays to me is just lazy recruiting.

Fewer and fewer positions to apply for and a lot are more then 30 days old, which makes me assume that companies are just sitting on applicants til things get clearer.

beyond stupid. ugh, sorry to hear that. I doubt recruiters are even reading much of any essay.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #127
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well, I got asked if I am available for an interview next week, so that made my day today

Also, if you’re interested in working with startups, check out AngelList (https://angel.co), there seem to be some interesting postings on there (all remote work)
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 03:35 PM   #128
jmac98
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
A very good friend of mine was laid off appx 4 years ago after 19 years on the job in an office setting. His role was offshored. He did receive a nice severance so took extended time off to gather himself and figure out a new direction. After 6+ months he began applying for jobs but of course the city was in a down turn and competition was high. He was still set up fine and could afford to be picky, eg, was really hoping to find a new path and not go back to his previous area of expertise. Start a new, so to speak.

After a few weeks/months he took to construction with a friend to help pay the bills until something came to fruition.

Months turned to a couple years and in that time he started throwing things out there including his direct field, trying to get anything to stick. Then covid happened wherein a downturn coupled with the pandemic made competition reach an all time high and outlooks seem bleak. He applied daily to everything and anything. It all looked grim to be sure.

But the world is a funny place.

He starts his new job this Friday at the one preferred company/position he sought out over these past 3 years in a brand new field. He would have taken anything, yet ended up getting hired at the one company and new career he sought after so many months of reflection upon losing his job of nearly 20 years. And he did so at a time the world around him was getting laid off.

It can happen, folks. Keep the faith and keep your chin up.

Last edited by jmac98; 04-15-2020 at 03:37 PM.
jmac98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jmac98 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2020, 03:59 PM   #129
davidus_49
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I recently got let go from my position. I have 1-year experience in Construction Management, 1-year in Building Envelope and 7-months in Structural Design. I have begun restoring my Network list and reaching out to people to learn from their experiences.
davidus_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to davidus_49 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:33 PM   #130
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

This came my way today...sharing it here in case there is anything for anyone else who is looking for a job

https://www.connectingyyc.com/current-jobs
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ah123 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2020, 07:42 PM   #131
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

A couple of things.

I wouldn't get to discouraged Captain, this is a horrible environment to be looking for work and for those doing the hiring, but I believe that once we turn that corner, Alberta will play a key role in the turnaround of our economy and country and with it will come opportunity.
keep the faith.
And if that doesn't happen, can't you go back to that sweet cereal gig?
Old 04-16-2020, 08:44 PM   #132
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yeah, I'm just having a really hard time of it right now, its downright depressing. The last time I was out of work, it was pretty responsive, this time, I'm not getting a lot of traction. Its not about some time pressure to get to work financially, its time pressure to get back to work, because I want to work, and I don't want to face a long period of time without work.

Right now I feel like I'm nowhere you know, I get it, its hyper competitive for any positions that are hiring, and they're going to be able to look at exact fits, and probably budget fits.

I was reviewing my resume and my cover letters today and they looked fine to me.

Over the last couple of days there haven't been a lot of new postings and a lot of the postings are old like 30 days plus, and I know better, I know that most hiring is on hold.

Just right now, to be honest, I almost feel useless and un wanted you know, and I should know better, its only been slightly less then a month.

Its funny, I talked to some contacts at my old company (The one I got laid off from), and they're really struggling, and I know it sounds petty but the people that they kept over me haven't done anything and part of me was saying, F you, you kept the wrong people.

Anyways, I think my ego is getting in the way, tomorrows the start of the long weekend for me, I'm going to do some chores around the house and not think about this stuff, and stay away from the search for a few days.

Old 04-17-2020, 09:10 AM   #133
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well that's a first, absolutely no new roles in my 15 searches on Indeed.

I've never seen that before.

Old 04-18-2020, 01:45 PM   #134
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

for good news. I am in the Global Logistics field. I was laid off mid March but I knew it was temporary. I have been called back for next week .

Those of you laid off due to Covid, won’t your company need you when they resume operations?
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Poster For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2020, 02:26 PM   #135
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^

It won't be as simple as "covid's over everyone come back to work". This is the beginning of a deep recession that will have record numbers of people out of work.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 03:50 PM   #136
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

No chance in my case. The company had stupidly over stretched itself before Covid happened, and while Covid definitely had a lot to do with half of the employee base being shytecanned, its unlikely they'll invite any of us back.

Old 04-18-2020, 05:32 PM   #137
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was laid off to reasons unrelated to Covid, I was in the coal industry. So no my job won't be coming back when the virus is gone.

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:29 PM   #138
Poster
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Sorry to hear that guys. I wasn’t trying to rub it in, Captain asked if anyone had good news
Poster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:22 AM   #139
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey guys.
Posted in the COVID thread but thought to post here too as it's my turn for a COVID related job loss.

couple of questions if anyone can answer. which is better, to go through service Canada or the CRA? or does it matter?

also, I understand you get CURB or EI but not both.

do I have it correct that I should apply for CURB, and my EI claim will automatically processed through my CURB claim?

then I will get $500 per week, and after those monies are exhausted, then I would get an EI payment? (which is a maximun of $573)

thanks in advance for the clarification.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:44 AM   #140
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

You apply for CERB...then, after that program is done, you apply for EI.