Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2018, 05:26 PM   #1181
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

The world is a better place when Chris Jones loses
CofR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #1182
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
Yeah, the ref couldn’t see it, that’s fair. But you can’t hit the QB in the head in the pocket or out of the pocket with the crown of your helmet, still RTP, UR, whatever. An ejection should be the call. Suspend him for next week.

Riders lost because Bridge missed three wide open touchdown throws and because Harris put the Bombers on his back in the fourth Quarter. Congrats Winnipeg. Well played, well deserved.
agreed it was a penalty much like the high hit that Sask. levelled on Reilly in that last play of the edmonton game and there was no call.
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #1183
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

What an embarrassment for the CFL…..again. That's a clear high, helmet to helmet hit. 15 yards, 1st down.

What a stupid look for the league - A nearly knocked out QB, laying motionless on the field while the refs just stand in a circle together collectively wondering what happened to the guy literally holding the ball.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #1184
zarrell
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Suspend him for next week, that has no place in football
Easy. He hit him in the chest and followed through into the face mask. Yes it's a penalty but that's football.

zarrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #1185
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Looking forward to a good day of football. Hopefully the refs don’t directly effect the outcome of the two games.
Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

Hold on I need to catch my breath.

Hahahahahahhhhahahahahahahahaha.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:28 PM   #1186
Hey Connor, It's Mess
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think Nichols will #### the bed next week and the Stamps will cruise to an easy win. Bombers really aren't that good.
Hey Connor, It's Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #1187
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Riders are like Canuck fans, always looking for the flags. tough break, the refs almost gave it to them
Old 11-11-2018, 05:29 PM   #1188
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
agreed it was a penalty much like the high hit that Sask. levelled on Reilly in that last play of the edmonton game and there was no call.
Sure, high hits should be punished hard. I’m a big believer in QBs get way too much protection and there should be 75% less roughing the passer penalties but hits in the head like that should be ejections
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:30 PM   #1189
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What an embarrassment for the CFL…..again. That's a clear high, helmet to helmet hit. 15 yards, 1st down.

What a stupid look for the league - A nearly knocked out QB, laying motionless on the field while the refs just stand in a circle together collectively wondering what happened to the guy literally holding the ball.

Whether people believe me or not, these type of hits and the league not taking it seriously is really why youth football is going to die out in this country.

The CFL is doing a terrible job of winning the public relations battle when it comes to concussion prevention.

I turned to my buddy who's also a coach after that hit and said at the same time. That's 10 more players that aren't trying out next year.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #1190
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, high hits should be punished hard. I’m a big believer in QBs get way too much protection and there should be 75% less roughing the passer penalties but hits in the head like that should be ejections
do you recall the high hit on Reilly and the command center saying it was ok? just curious if you thought that was a penalty? i certainly did. and yes clear obvious hits to the head should be automatic ejections. agreed.

Last edited by dirk diggler; 11-11-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #1191
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
do you recall the high hit on Reilly and the command center saying it was ok? just curious if you thought that was a penalty? i certainly did. and yes hits to the head should be automatic ejections. agreed.

K a couple of things.

First of all, how do you deal with head hits where the ball carrier ducks into the play? Running backs and receivers are taught to get pad level low when going into traffic.

How about if the hit starts at chest level and then carries through into the head?

You can't just make a blanket statement like that, I'm all for head safety, I'm especially all for safe tackling, safe contact. But at the same time, then do you eject players that put themselves into jeopardy?

Old 11-11-2018, 05:34 PM   #1192
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol such a satisfying feeling knowing the Riders are out

Good win Bombers!
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scorch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:35 PM   #1193
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1061776424980307969

The Stamps and Bombers will meet in the postseason for the first time since the 2001 Grey Cup; the first time in a West Division playoff game since 1982; and the first time in the Western Final since 1965.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #1194
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
do you recall the high hit on Reilly and the command center saying it was ok? just curious if you thought that was a penalty? i certainly did. and yes hits to the head should be automatic ejections. agreed.
On Jefferson pick 6, yeah that’s probably a penalty. I’m biased and I don’t think they are quite the same type of hit as today’s looked more like the crown of the helmet than that one.

I’m not saying I’m any way that is why the Riders lost. Just the CFL needs to take headshots more seriously
Old 11-11-2018, 05:42 PM   #1195
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
On Jefferson pick 6, yeah that’s probably a penalty. I’m biased and I don’t think they are quite the same type of hit as today’s looked more like the crown of the helmet than that one.

I’m not saying I’m any way that is why the Riders lost. Just the CFL needs to take headshots more seriously
all leagues need to take these hits more seriously, no question.
The Following User Says Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 05:43 PM   #1196
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
K a couple of things.

First of all, how do you deal with head hits where the ball carrier ducks into the play? Running backs and receivers are taught to get pad level low when going into traffic.

How about if the hit starts at chest level and then carries through into the head?

You can't just make a blanket statement like that, I'm all for head safety, I'm especially all for safe tackling, safe contact. But at the same time, then do you eject players that put themselves into jeopardy?
I think they need to go to a NCAA targeting type rule where they’re automatically reviewed.

I’d also change the rules so ball carriers cannot lower their helmet and lead with the crown of the helmet into contact. Rules have to go both ways.

My crazy idea I’ve brought up a few times is to take it one step further and fine QBs for leading their receiver into dangerous hits. That’s the only way to truly eliminate some of those collisions (not just head hits), don’t throw the ball an hang your receiver out to dry.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:48 PM   #1197
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
K a couple of things.

you are correct, much like in hockey where a guy turns last second and gets boarded. not much the defensive player can do. i guess i meant to say, clear obvious head shots need to be subject to ejection. This one on Bridge was clear.
Old 11-11-2018, 05:49 PM   #1198
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, I'd be fine with what the NCAA does in terms of targeting.

If you do the second one, you're going to force running backs to run high through traffic which leads to different serious injury issues. It would also be impossible to enforce in traffic.

The third one is weird, every hit with a QB throwing into a limited window would be a penalty then. You would actually be punishing QB's for taking risks and throwing into small windows, especially on timing routes where QB's are throwing to a spot and not a player.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 06:16 PM   #1199
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bombers win! I am over the moon
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2018, 06:19 PM   #1200
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Hahahahahahahahahahhahahahahaha.

Hold on I need to catch my breath.

Hahahahahahhhhahahahahahahahaha.
Yep garbage all around. Terrible day of football.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote