Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #241
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I have faith in Glen, while I may not agree with some of his ice time decisions he is an NHL coach and I am not so who am I to question it? I think he is a brilliant guy and he will turn this around.
GG supporters keep saying he's brilliant, but I don't see where the evidence of that is. What am I missing?

I see a career NHL head coach with a record of slightly better than .500. And no playoff success. Not sure that counts as brilliant.

And every single person who watches the Flames knows he overplays his favourite players. You don't have to be an NHL coach to know Stajan should not be getting over 13 minutes of ice a night.
Infinit47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Infinit47 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #242
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Should have had a goal or two in the first if they shot the puck and hit the net
Old 10-27-2017, 10:10 PM   #243
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Worst thing is that the team is boring now.

Took a non-hockey fan to the Carolina game and felt like I had to apologize for wasting his time.

Tonight was about the same.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #244
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinit47 View Post
GG supporters keep saying he's brilliant, but I don't see where the evidence of that is. What am I missing?

I see a career NHL head coach with a record of slightly better than .500. And no playoff success. Not sure that counts as brilliant.

And every single person who watches the Flames knows he overplays his favourite players. You don't have to be an NHL coach to know Stajan should not be getting over 13 minutes of ice a night.
pretty sure he is just trying to get you guys goin'
Old 10-27-2017, 10:11 PM   #245
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #246
Spinach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
So if we fire GG do I get unblocked by lots of people?
There are over 6 billion human beings in the world. While it's possible a infinitesimal percentage of that population may care about a stranger's internet habits, it's unlikely "lots" of them will do as you suggest.
Spinach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:13 PM   #247
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You go google GG on talking hockey and systems or even listen to him address the problems with this group right now and if you know anything about hockey you can tell he is a real smart hockey coach. Four coaches who think highly of GG are Torts, Babcock, Hitchcock, and Quenneville. I think they know a little about coaching hockey.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #248
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Coaching seems like the biggest problem with this team right now. Playing well below the sum of their parts.
A lack of confidence on offence is the biggest problem right now. Players over passing and not shooting when they have a legitimate shot on goal. I can't remember the number of times cursed when they had a shot but instead tried to make the prefect play.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:14 PM   #249
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
I'll say it yet again-we were arguably the best team in the league in the second half of last season, and we for sure were the best for a stretch of almost 2 months. That certainly is not due to Elliott playing well.
And we were hot garbage half the season, amazing for a quarter and so so for a quarter. That's how you seek into the playoffs.

We have been plain bad this year.

For people who support GG, he gets all the credit for wins, and none for losses.

Reminds me of Shelbyville. "Undisciplined kids, that's why we beat their football team nearly half the time".

People just focus on that one hot streak and ignore everything else.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:15 PM   #250
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

dash_pinched is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to dash_pinched For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #251
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
You have absolutely no idea if this is true.
I feel like I do, actually, even if it's not concrete. I have a pretty decent idea of what Darryl Sutter's coaching style resembles and it stopped working in L.A. once the team started to resemble the Flames a bit more, with more skill guys and speed present instead of the Dwight Kings and Jordan Nolans and Robyn Regehrs of the Cup-winning teams. Sutter tried to adjust to a more speed-based system which didn't work and rendered guys like Gaborik and Kopitar and Brown almost useless. He's even worse at adjusting than Gulutzan is.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #252
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
A lack of confidence on offence is the biggest problem right now. Players over passing and not shooting when they have a legitimate shot on goal. I can't remember the number of times cursed when they had a shot but instead tried to make the prefect play.
I dont remember Sutter's flames team lacking confidence except when he was instilling an identity in early-2003.

When a whole team lacks confidence its a coaching issue. GG has had over one season to instill an identity and build team confidence. He has failed.
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:16 PM   #253
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Darryl Sutter held the Kings back for two years after they missed the playoffs in 2015. He's an absolutely terrible coach who runs a system completely incompatible with the Flames' style.
What is the Flames style? As for Sutter he has a shelf life no doubt, but his upside is rather good don't you think?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #254
Infinit47
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You go google GG on talking hockey and systems or even listen to him address the problems with this group right now and if you know anything about hockey you can tell he is a real smart hockey coach. Four coaches who think highly of GG are Torts, Babcock, Hitchcock, and Quenneville. I think they know a little about coaching hockey.
Talking a good game means nothing. And you think when an interviewer asked those coaches about GG they are going to trash him in public? It's a Platitude. Not a single one of them thought highly enough of him to give him an assistant coaching job after he was fired in Dallas.
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #255
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
Oh man, we're really pushing back to the classics now. Is Gaudreauvertime somewhere around here?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:17 PM   #256
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Throw Kevin Lowe in there.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #257
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Talking a good game means nothing. And you think when an interviewer asked those coaches about GG they are going to trash him in public? It's a Platitude. Not a single one of them thought highly enough of him to give him an assistant coaching job after he was fired in Dallas.
Ummm GG was assistant to Torts in Vancouver.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #258
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Jesus Christ. Talk about a ####ing knee-jerk reaction. It's been eleven games and this is hardly the most surprising start to a season in the NHL. The way I've seen it, while I agree that specialty teams need to be improved, that's Dave Cameron's responsibility and his track record is the opposite of pristine. In terms of an actual system, well, we saw from December to March last year what Gulutzan's system can look like when it's implemented properly.

From where I sit, the Flames are already well ahead of their development curve when compared to last year and are in a much better position moving forward. If I was to make a change, I'd change around some of the forwards on the roster and maybe consider an external addition, but again, that's not on Gulutzan, it's Treliving's job.

Also, for the record, Gulutzan is hardly "inexperienced". He has over five years of NHL coaching experience.
I think with this post....you are showing that you're still a kid and lack the depth of hockey knowledge required to recognize the signs of Gulutzan's failure.

This guy is to the Flames as Mike Johnston was to Crosby and the Penguins. Please rid the team of this plague.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:19 PM   #259
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hey Scorpion,

If the flames had gotten average goaltending to start the season, what would their record be today?

I count 3-7 -> they deserved wins in the Anahiem, Winnepeg and Vancouver games
GullFoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #260
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

Pray to the hockey gods that AV gets fired by the Rags. Considering where we got to from mid December to end of season last year...it is shocking that this team is literally struggling with the same issues....