Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-08-2020, 01:55 PM   #41
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
Just trying to think back, have the Flames ever drafted an impact player from the QMJHL?
Pretty shallow well for sure.

Lombardi?....Gauthier?

Stepon Mytoe....way back in the day.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-08-2020 at 03:48 PM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:02 PM   #42
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Notes on 2020 draft

Teams with multiple 1st rd picks: OTT (3), NJD (3), NYR (2), MIN (2), ANA (2)

Teams with multiple 2nd rd picks: OTT (4), LAK (3), MTL (3), DET (3), NSH (2), CAR (2), SJS (2)

Most picks in first 3 rd’s: OTT (9), LAK (6), MTL (6), DET (6), NSH (5), CAR (5)
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:37 PM   #43
scobel
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Notes on 2020 draft

Teams with multiple 2nd rd picks: OTT (4), LAK (3), MTL (3), DET (3), NSH (2), CAR (2), SJS (2)

Most picks in first 3 rd’s: OTT (9), LAK (6), MTL (6), DET (6), NSH (5), CAR (5)
Wow how big of draft is this for Senators . This could really set them up for the future...... That future might be in a different location but I am sure there new fans will be happy.
scobel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 08:06 PM   #44
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Notes on 2020 draft

At first glance I thought it said the Senators have 9 third round picks and wondered how the hell they got one third of the leagues picks
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2020, 11:35 PM   #45
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Jack Quinn looks like a real strong player that gets overshadowed by Rossi’s brilliance. He could be a major jumpstart to to our top six quickly. He is a fantastic skater and goal scorer. 52 in 62 games his draft year.

Sanderson loooks like good value. Big, great skater, great dman , and physical.

Seth Jarvis looks like his speed would compliment our top six so well. Him and tkachuk and or Benny and or Johnny and mommy. Phew major speed and skill and grit coming at you.

Dawson Mercer looks fantastic as well. Really strong player with top six potential. Plays Center too but deadly shooter.

All of these wingerss are rh. They all bring something different but this could be a huge draft for immediate team comp need as well as future value. BPA meets team needs potential. Same with bourque.

Maverick bourque is a strong goal scoring project. He has a nose for the net unlike many players. But its commitment to a 200 foot game is leaving something to be desired.
Old 04-09-2020, 04:41 AM   #46
flam12345
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
super excited to see where Marco Rossi lands, hopefully with a good franchise. He's already told Austrian media that, if he doesn't make the NHL out of camp, he'd prefer playing men's hockey in Europe for a year instead of going back to the OHL. Makes sense for sure - after scoring 2.14 points a game, what else is there to prove?

also have Thimo Nickl at 74 and Senna Peeters at 101 in the NA skater list. Might be 3 Austrians this year after not having a single player drafted since 2006!

I sure hope so..... Do you think that baumgartner has a chance at getting drafted? Sure. He is undersized and one year older. But 27 points in 37 games in the NLA is not that bad.
flam12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 08:31 AM   #47
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Lidstrom View Post
Jack Quinn looks like a real strong player that gets overshadowed by Rossi’s brilliance. He could be a major jumpstart to to our top six quickly. He is a fantastic skater and goal scorer. 52 in 62 games his draft year.

Sanderson loooks like good value. Big, great skater, great dman , and physical.

Seth Jarvis looks like his speed would compliment our top six so well. Him and tkachuk and or Benny and or Johnny and mommy. Phew major speed and skill and grit coming at you.

Dawson Mercer looks fantastic as well. Really strong player with top six potential. Plays Center too but deadly shooter.

All of these wingerss are rh. They all bring something different but this could be a huge draft for immediate team comp need as well as future value. BPA meets team needs potential. Same with bourque.

Maverick bourque is a strong goal scoring project. He has a nose for the net unlike many players. But its commitment to a 200 foot game is leaving something to be desired.
IMO Jack Quinn and Seth Jarvis both have huge potential to bust. Zary is a much more complete player than Jarvis, drives more offense on his own on the Blazers, and is ranked around the same spot. Holloway is also ranked around the same and is much superior. Quinn is interesting... but without Rossi he does not look half as good. I think he's the MA Pouliot of this draft.

I am really hoping that if the season is cancelled there is the opportunity to move up through a full lottery or something. There are some incredible talents in the top 10 but I feel like 10-40 is relatively hit or miss with plenty of movement available. Someone could fall to the flames around 16, but in most of the mocks I have seen we are just as likely to be able to draft the same player with our pick in round 2 (Chromiak is an example...)
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 12:09 PM   #48
Ziggy Lidstrom
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
IMO Jack Quinn and Seth Jarvis both have huge potential to bust. Zary is a much more complete player than Jarvis, drives more offense on his own on the Blazers, and is ranked around the same spot. Holloway is also ranked around the same and is much superior. Quinn is interesting... but without Rossi he does not look half as good. I think he's the MA Pouliot of this draft.

I am really hoping that if the season is cancelled there is the opportunity to move up through a full lottery or something. There are some incredible talents in the top 10 but I feel like 10-40 is relatively hit or miss with plenty of movement available. Someone could fall to the flames around 16, but in most of the mocks I have seen we are just as likely to be able to draft the same player with our pick in round 2 (Chromiak is an example...)
I watched a lot of scouting reports on these guys. Zarylooks like he benefits from playing on a high octane team. He may be a more complete player but I don’t think he sniffs top six at all. Jarvis is fast gritty and is the straw that stirs the drink in that team. His stickhandling his play making scream top six guy.

Quinn doesn’t play on Rossi’s line. His offence doesn’t get a boost from Rossi. All opinions though.
Old 04-09-2020, 09:58 PM   #49
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Idk, I'm no scout, but I've seen Zary play and I would be extatic if he or Mercer fell to us.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:13 PM   #50
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't see this posted:
https://www.tsn.ca/bill-daly-june-nh...-pts-1.1469120

"Daly told Bruce Garrioch of The Ottawa Sun that a June draft would likely use points percentage to determine the selection order, which would keep the top 11 odds in the lottery unchanged from the standings on the day the league paused on March 12."

Of note:
"Vancouver Canucks' selection - currently owned by the New Jersey Devils - would drop out of the lottery to No. 17, behind the Calgary Flames."

So the Flames would be 16th, but also in the lottery.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:20 PM   #51
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Win the lottery and then win the Cup. Can’t beat that!
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #52
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, points percentage is the fairest way to determine selection order.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:56 PM   #53
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I'm fine with whatever method they come up with provided Edmonton is arbitrarily and unjustly treated.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2020, 09:26 PM   #54
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Aren’t only the top 15 picks lottery selections with 8 East teams and 7 West teams missing the playoffs?

Typical Flames to be just good enough to miss the lottery by percentage points.
Old 04-26-2020, 09:49 PM   #55
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's true, only the bottom 15 teams are in the lottery, and following year it goes to 16 with the addition of Seattle. So, classic Calgary position.
Old 04-27-2020, 05:12 AM   #56
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

It doesn't matter, they'll trade their first rounder anyway.
Old 04-27-2020, 07:55 AM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's going to be interesting to see how the NHL draft plays out. Not sure if enough will change over the next 1.5 months for them to consider doing it any differently from the NFL. Will it be Gary in his basement announcing the picks or maybe a small room at NHL head office with Bettman, Daly and three others announcing the picks?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 08:57 AM   #58
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Win the lottery and then win the Cup. Can’t beat that!

That would be great if it was Calgary, but what happens if it is another team? Everybody would be crying foul. I just don't see how they can have draft in June, if they do complete season in july/august? A bubble team that is not in the lottery now could easily fall when we come back. Have to think they would be pissed. Imagine a team looking from the outside now picks at 14, then makes playoffs and wins Stanley cup. That's a huge jump from 14th pick to 31st pick. There is also the trade asspect of draft. It would be taken out completely.

For me its cancel season and have draft in June, or somehow finish season and have draft after.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:15 AM   #59
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

15 teams in the lottery ... Calgary at 16 is a playoff team, not a lottery team.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 09:23 AM   #60
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
15 teams in the lottery ... Calgary at 16 is a playoff team, not a lottery team.
That's the most Flames thing ever.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good