Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2019, 04:04 PM   #21
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean if I’m in the office and making comments like this about a co-worker. 110 percent. I get it. However he is a hired sports personality who you hired for exactly that, he’s a personality. You’re just getting JR. I can understand all the people jumping to say that “oh you can’t say that about a co-worker in my office”. Well again you’re not a sports legend who has been controversial his entire life and was brought in for exactly that reason. Then say woah pump the breaks on this because of our social climate at the moment. I’d be shocked to find if Tappen was offended in the lightest considering that’s ultimately what matters the most in all this.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Patek23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 04:06 PM   #22
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its possible that Tappen complained, even though it seems mild and that she'd likely be aware of, if not comfortable with Roenick's sense of humour you never know, he might have stepped over the line somewhere with her.

Part of the dangers of being close, personal friends with your coworkers?

The rest seems innocuous enough. It seems rather ridiculous to hire someone as a candid and outspoken pundit and then turn around and muzzle and condemn them for those same attributes.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 04:12 PM   #23
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Double post.

Last edited by Zarley; 12-23-2019 at 04:43 PM.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:08 PM   #24
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Funny timing for me as I just finished my yearly ethics review. This was more or less an example they used as completely inappropriate conduct. Except it was “the boss or coworker” instead of Ronieck and “in front of everyone” as opposed to “a podcast”

Now the outcome included up to firing, but depending on the parties involved training could be applied.

I am willing to believe the person he wants a 3 some with will hold his fate.

Completely understand NBC here given the climate. Jeremy should be given some training too. Hope it doesn’t cost him, but it would be understandable if it did.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #25
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty much just don't sexualize your coworkers. This is sexual harassment training 1.0. If you don't see the issue with it, that's a problem. Friends or not, they are coworkers. You can't tell other people, even in jest, that you're having sexual relationships with a coworker if you're not. You can't refer to your coworkers "ass and boobs." You can't do what he did, and you certainly can't expect the company to look the other way.

"Hey you know how a coworker admitted to telling people he was sleeping with me when that wasn't the case, and then went on radio and told everyone how awesome it would be to have sexual relationships for me while talking about my ass and boobs and you did nothing? Yeah, should I expect my massive windfall on one of the oversized cheques or will it just be a direct deposit?" Their hands were tied by Roenick and he has no one else to blame. Hell, even Biss thought he was going too far.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:27 PM   #26
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flaming Homer View Post
I mean if I’m in the office and making comments like this about a co-worker. 110 percent. I get it. However he is a hired sports personality who you hired for exactly that, he’s a personality. You’re just getting JR. I can understand all the people jumping to say that “oh you can’t say that about a co-worker in my office”. Well again you’re not a sports legend who has been controversial his entire life and was brought in for exactly that reason. Then say woah pump the breaks on this because of our social climate at the moment. I’d be shocked to find if Tappen was offended in the lightest considering that’s ultimately what matters the most in all this.
Whether you're brought in to toe the company line or walk along the edge of it, the line exists. NBC has a reputation, and likely does not want one of their contracted personalities talking about having a threesome with another of their contracted employees. I can't think of any professional environments where that kind of talk would be appropriate, with the exception of maybe adult entertainment (and that would probably require other layers of context). They didn't hire Roenick to talk about sex in any capacity.

As social norms evolve we will need to continuously be mindful of what we say, how we say it, and to whom we say it. But that isn't a new phenomena, and anyone with a modicum of common sense shouldn't be worried.

This isn't an overreaction or an overcorrection. This seems like a pretty tame and reasonable response given the indiscretion. I also don't think he should be fired, nor do I expect him to be. To me it just seems silly and juvenile (like Spittin Chicklets), but I'm not his employer.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:35 PM   #27
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Many more people know about it because of the suspension
Old 12-23-2019, 05:45 PM   #28
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

What did he say
stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 05:48 PM   #29
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This is all completely avoidable if people just stop sharing their opinions all together.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 05:53 PM   #30
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Many more people know about it because of the suspension
Know what? That NBC won't allow sport personalities to degrade female coworkers by talking about their "ass and boobs" and wanting to have a threesome with them?

This isn't quite the Barbra Streisand effect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
What did he say
He said on his trip to Portugal with her and his wife, they were at a pool with their "ass and boobs everywhere" and how they were blonde bombshells turning heads, so when someone came up to him to figure out what was going on, he insinuated that they were a throuple going to bed tonight with each other every night, to the clear annoyance of Tappen and his wife who yelled at him (which is ironic given the amount of people suggesting she has no problem while Roenick is telling us how much she didn't like him suggesting it to a single random Portuguese person). Then he said it would never happen but it would be great if they did have a threesome. Paraphrased.

The hosts tried to save him a couple times (suggesting it was a family show etc.) and when he finished his story they brought up how great she was in a male dominant industry. Just a little bit more of self-awareness, they probably could have figured out that one of the biggest issues for women like her entering this male-dominated industry is how sexualized they are by everyone.

Then, he went on to talk about Sharp, suggesting that Sharp would have him question things if he made a move.

EDIT: And then, ironically, he talks about how NBC and his bosses keeps a tab on him with what he says bringing up Don Cherry and the coaching incidents lately, and how he gets daily reminders to be careful.

EDIT2: And then - nothing to do with the above - he brought up Keenan choking him when he was 18, but more or less says it was a good thing and helped shape who he would become.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 12-23-2019 at 06:08 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:00 PM   #31
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah not sure how anyone is thinking nbc is overreacting here
Roenick is lucky to still have his job at all
He literally went on air and talked about wanting to have sex with a colleague
In what world is that ok?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #32
Savvy27
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It's bizarre to me that people are so fervently in favor of self-censoring whenever there is a possibility of someone being offended. I listened to the interview and it was slightly risque while obviously being a joke involving friends. If that offended you then you should limit what you listen to, not try and restrict what other people can say or do.

Not everybody agrees that this is positive progress and it is irritating that large corporate HR culture/the sociology brigade is being promoted as if they have figured out the correct morality for everyone to live by.

Maybe I'm off, but I really don't think that this culture change is as persuasive or imminent as proponents think it is. Not saying that a workplace should be like a Mad Men episode, but the pandering to the most sensitive and humourless people in society has to stop eventually.
Savvy27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:14 PM   #33
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why would you be shocked to find Tappen was offended?
Is it not possible that as a professional broadcaster, she wants to be able to go about her business and her career, without people making it about her boobs and ass?
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:16 PM   #34
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvy27 View Post
It's bizarre to me that people are so fervently in favor of self-censoring whenever there is a possibility of someone being offended. I listened to the interview and it was slightly risque while obviously being a joke involving friends. If that offended you then you should limit what you listen to, not try and restrict what other people can say or do.
What if it was Tappin that was offended? Or someone else that works for NBC?
He went on a broadcast and joked about having sex with a colleague.
If people want to listen to stuff that's a little more risque that's cool - JR can tell stories about un-named people all he wants. But as soon as he specified a colleague and named them - he crossed a line.

Last edited by Jiri Hrdina; 12-23-2019 at 06:21 PM.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #35
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

In response to a question of whether she talks about how hard it is being a female in a male dominated industry:

JR:"You know she talks about it all the time.
She wants people to respect her for her knowledge of sports and not just cause she's a pretty face. And I think she really really cares about that, and she wants to make sure she doesn't get pushed around."

It's like he forgot literally 30 seconds ago he was talking about her boobs and ass while talking about how great a threesome with her would be.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:27 PM   #36
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Jiri, out of curiosity, did you listen to the interview in its entirety?
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:29 PM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarley View Post
Jiri, out of curiosity, did you listen to the interview in its entirety?
No just the relevant part
Does that somehow change it?
I can’t imagine how it would
Old 12-23-2019, 06:38 PM   #38
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone have a link to a contextualized clip?
Old 12-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #39
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Does anyone have a link to a contextualized clip?
https://www.barstoolsports.com/bosto...ner-a-ton-more

Here's the podcast, scroll to 34 minutes in.
Old 12-23-2019, 06:41 PM   #40
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

And what if she is offended? Doesn't she know that Roenick is a sports personality who was hired to be controversial? How dare she create cause for a sports 'legend' to pump the brakes.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
edmonton is no good