Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-28-2021, 01:06 PM   #1821
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I think there's a balance. If you can make good trades, you can do anything in this league, no matter what assets you're bringing in or sending out.

I have no picks for the next two years. I also have — in my opinion — the single best group of defensemen in the entire league. That, to me, holds far more value, especially given how the vast majority of them are RFA-aged and cost-controlled.

If you're trading 1sts for Tobi Rieder or Duncan Keith, then yeah, you're gonna have a hard time. But there's also ways to do it where you can come out ahead.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 05-28-2021 at 01:08 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 01:13 PM   #1822
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
To be fair to Ravi. He took over a low asset team in Calgary and gathering picks is a way to increase franchise value.
Not sure what o said that wasn't fair. Wasn't picking on Ravi at all...if anything I was saying I don't see what's wrong with what he is doing. Seems like a long term approach which frankly more franchises would benefit from.

We have this conversation every couple years though. Everyone plays the game for different reasons and that's fine.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:16 PM   #1823
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I think there's a balance. If you can make good trades, you can do anything in this league, no matter what assets you're bringing in or sending out.

I have no picks for the next two years. I also have — in my opinion — the single best group of defensemen in the entire league. That, to me, holds far more value, especially given how the vast majority of them are RFA-aged and cost-controlled.

If you're trading 1sts for Tobi Rieder or Duncan Keith, then yeah, you're gonna have a hard time. But there's also ways to do it where you can come out ahead.
While I don't agree with your humble opion of your D you're right on trading. You can move value throughout your system pretty easily in this league. The reality is some gms are just a lot better at it then others, over time. That's life though, isn't it.
Old 05-28-2021, 01:18 PM   #1824
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurdFerguson View Post
Not sure what o said that wasn't fair. Wasn't picking on Ravi at all...if anything I was saying I don't see what's wrong with what he is doing. Seems like a long term approach which frankly more franchises would benefit from.

We have this conversation every couple years though. Everyone plays the game for different reasons and that's fine.
I was more adding to your point with my post.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 01:22 PM   #1825
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:

Where do we report tampering and do I get a 2024 1st round pic from NYI as compensation?

Swayze11 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 01:50 PM   #1826
Cambam8
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Just want to chime in, I joined the league last offseason and took over a pretty bad team made a complete roster overhaul, made the playoffs in the ultra competitive west, traded 2 owed 1sts in this draft which I have long settled up, acquired the 8th ov this draft in the offseason which I have since flipped. My personal approach is always to be moving parts, I'm not one to have prospects sitting in the echl for years, i try to compete each season. If a guy doesn't produce I'll move on and pick up an asset along the way. I don't have high end draft guys sitting there, I prefer to get guys more seasoned ready to make the jump. I was in the CPHL many moons ago , took over another bad team....1st major trade was me sending Marc Denis for Tuukka Rask and a 2nd....I was fired. Anyone looking at that now, the other guy should have been canned. I'm very active in the trade department, fulfilling my trade obligations will never be a problem. Let's move on from this and focus on someone trading me a bunch of 1sts next year. Thank you.
Cambam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Cambam8 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 02:21 PM   #1827
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just to clarify, I’m not saying that Calgary or Nashville specifically did anything wrong. What Calgary is doing to get the picks is commendable, and I’m definitely jealous. Nor do I think that Nashville will not be able to tie up the deal.

I’ve only been a GM in the league since last offseason as well, and it is is my first time being part of something like this. I’m just concerned that there appears to be decent turnover in GMs. Will absolutely suck for a new GM to be saddled with these conditions, especially if the previous GM is condition heavy in their moves and decides to move on before resolving the conditions.

Just raising a discussion point is all. I’m good with either way.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 02:22 PM   #1828
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I personally would never leave the Islanders without first fulfilling all of my outstanding conditions.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 07:48 PM   #1829
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I also have — in my opinion — the single best group of defensemen in the entire league. .
Quote:
I also have — in my opinion — the single best group of defensemen in the entire league. .
Quote:
Quote:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hanna Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #1830
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Parayko — all-around beast
Brodie — rock-solid top-pairing guy
Pelech — rock-solid top-pairing guy
Slavin — rock-solid top-pairing guy
Klefbom — rock-solid top-pairing guy, when healthy
Zub — easily a top-four guy as a rookie
Roy — top-four guy who looked like a top-pairing guy in 2019–20
Forsling — top-four guy who filled in admirably up top in Ekblad's absence

I stand by it.

Old 05-28-2021, 08:26 PM   #1831
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
I think a bigger issue is trading of 2023 picks. I think you should only be able to deal for the next years picks or IOUs in the next season. Limiting it to only the round is a good thing as well.

There are so many asset poor teams here whose only desired assets (to acquire good players) are picks two years from now. It just drives them deeper into the hole.

When i joined Columbus my team was last place, i had very few prospects and I had zero 2021/2022 picks. The team was so over-leveraged with not much to show for it.

It will be at least 3 seasons before I would be able to make enough trades and signings to even have a sniff of the playoffs (short of magic sim chemistry).

Honestly, it is a real issue with the league when 5 teams hold the majority of the picks and top prospects.

Years ago I saw you put together an assessment of assets in a sim league. Would love to see one for this league right now. Columbus has had a rough go as a Franchise.
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 05-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #1832
BagoPucks
First Line Centre

Exp:

A little late but I have no doubt in NSH's ability to find the 1st in the deal that triggered the conversation. However, should the league try to protect teams futures? I think it is a nice thought but it is really hard to find the fine line. I think it is a game and people want to have fun and we all have a different expectation of what is fun. I think a more important item to consider is turn over, it isn't surprising to see the most "asset" rich franchises have stable GMs. Practice makes better and if we can somehow manage the learning curve, rhythm ot the league and reasonable franchise expectations it can go ways in protecting franchise assets
BagoPucks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BagoPucks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 11:00 AM   #1833
Flickered Flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Big Save Dave to the Flames for a 2022 5th.

Tried moving him for several weeks, for a wide variety of assets and finally decided to take this offer as it appeared nothing better was going to come. Just opened up a bit more cap space.
Flickered Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 01:43 PM   #1834
Cambam8
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Nashville has reacquired OEL from PHX for Vatrano, 3rd,5th. Our defense is set, maybe bring back Dumoulin or Karlsson depending on the rerates. Thanks to Flambers for the talks and good luck!
Cambam8 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cambam8 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2021, 04:10 PM   #1835
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The LA Kings have picked up Juuso Parssinen from Washington for a 2022 4th. Juuso is known as the Finnish Finnish Flash*.

*to local law enforcement

Last edited by Harry Lime; 06-01-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Harry Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harry Lime For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 09:17 PM   #1836
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 4th Overall pick has been moved

To Vancouver Canucks

To TBL
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to agulati For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2021, 11:07 PM   #1837
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

TBL continue to add picks

To Colorado Avalanche

To TBL
Old 06-13-2021, 01:02 PM   #1838
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Picks 8, 18, 46 and 67 to Minnesota for Nils Hoglander, Marat Khusnutdinov and Gabriel Vilardi
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 11:48 PM   #1839
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Wow. Cheese, what are you doing???

Old 06-15-2021, 08:12 AM   #1840
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

You might get someone better than Hoglander at #8, but Hoglander looks like a sure thing to play and get top six minutes in Vancouver. Vilardi should be of more value than #18 and Khusnutdinov for #46 and #67 is maybe a wash. So sure things for what's in the magic box.

Value of picks have gone crazy in the last month. I think that this is a good trade, but more risk is with Minnesota.