Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-13-2020, 12:41 PM   #601
Flames Fan, Ph.D.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Ah, TSN 1260 in Edmonton is celebrating Connor McDavid's birthday and McDavid isn't present. That's not odd at all.
Flames Fan, Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Fan, Ph.D. For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 12:52 PM   #602
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I guess the Calder parade is off on Bear, they've actually turned on him pretty hard.

It still blows my mind that they actually thought this. Like, who pushed this narrative? What had Bear done to make that even kind of a thing? How did I miss it? Like, even before a game is played this season, even at his position, you have two players in Hughes and Makar who are just clearly better. Then you factor in the other Hughes and Kaako. Then after games get played players like Olafsson(well, you know before..) and Kubalik who are playing real well. How do you get this thought into your brain?

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 12:53 PM   #603
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love that the part of the media that is calling Tkachuk a "Chicken" is completely overlooking the fact that Tkachuk is the one that went looking for it.

This isn't Tkachuk running around targeting Yamamoto, RHH, or McDavid and then turtling when he has to answer for it.

He went out and decided to deck Kassian twice.

Then when Kassian tried to kill him, what did he do when Kassian came out of the box, he crushed him again with a clean hit.

I don't know but I don't think that's "chicken" at all. IMO that takes more balls then being 6'3" and trying to punch a guy who's not even trying to fight back.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #604
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Fan, Ph.D. View Post
I have 2 questions. Question number 1 - Do I really want to know what this is?
And 2 - What is this?
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Alpha_Q For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 12:55 PM   #605
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
It still blows my mind that they actually thought this. Like, who pushed this narrative? What had Bear done to make that even kind of a thing? How did I miss it? Like, even before a game is played this season, even at his position, you have two players in Hughes and Makar who are just clearly better. Then you factor in the other Hughes and Kaako. Then after games get played players like Olafsson(well, you know before..) and Kubalik who are playing real well. How do you get this thought into your brain?
This is Edmonton. They have never had a Calder winner, so they really don't know what one looks like.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 12:58 PM   #606
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
And 2 - What is this?
The movie One Hour Photo and that's Robin Williams. Basically he's a creepy stalker, much like Edmonton media with Connor.
Old 01-13-2020, 01:00 PM   #607
vicarious
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpha_Q View Post
And 2 - What is this?

It's from "one hour photo" starring Robin Williams. Not sure about the relevance here though.
vicarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #608
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, the words "rent free" has never seemed so fitting.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #609
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I love that the part of the media that is calling Tkachuk a "Chicken" is completely overlooking the fact that Tkachuk is the one that went looking for it.

This isn't Tkachuk running around targeting Yamamoto, RHH, or McDavid and then turtling when he has to answer for it.

He went out and decided to deck Kassian twice.

Then when Kassian tried to kill him, what did he do when Kassian came out of the box, he crushed him again with a clean hit.

I don't know but I don't think that's "chicken" at all. IMO that takes more balls then being 6'3" and trying to punch a guy who's not even trying to fight back.
Yah it's actually hilarious. He targeted their biggest guy (cleanly), hoping to get the reaction he got. He literally signed up for a plan that would result in Kassian throwing punches on him to which he wouldn't respond.

Fighting back actually requires less guts both physically and emotionally from Tkachuk because it would hurt less than what happened to him, and he wouldn't have to be dealing with the comments that he turtled. He did the least "chicken" thing he could do, he took a punch of punches and didn't defend himself to get the team a PP.

Oilers nation needs to stop pretending that this is a case where Kassian attempted to square off against Tkachuk and he declined (not that he should have to oblige in that scenario either because again, he's literally done nothing to the Oilers but lay some legal checks on their toughest player). Kassian just jumped him like a mad man, which is exactly what Tkachuk was hoping would happen.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:11 PM   #610
Alpha_Q
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicarious View Post
It's from "one hour photo" starring Robin Williams. Not sure about the relevance here though.
I thought it was an honest-to-God McStalkerWall.
Alpha_Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:16 PM   #611
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I love Tkachuk’s last hit on Kassian. After all the craziness he hammers him again later in the game. Just so Tkachuk. Kassian didn’t intimidate him for a second. That’s got to drive him nuts.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:18 PM   #612
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

There is a Ken M in the comment section of the Athletics post game article. I actually think that this is a genuine Ken M sighting because this guy is hilarious.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:19 PM   #613
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I mean...I'd be pretty excited to play with Tkachuk, but....like, not that excited.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 01:32 PM   #614
Barnet Flame
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post

As typically (c)oiler-fan inane as this comment is, there is a part of me that wants to see this come to fruition. No loud music, no yahoos or awwoooos, just fart noises.

We’d be the envy of the league for being so avante-garde.

That comment made chuckle.

I’d like us to combine cow fart noises, with those old Enron flames after each goal.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #615
brocoli
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So, I know that I'm a little late to this, but as an Oilers fan I will say that I have no issue with the hits that Tkachuk did. They were clean hits. I will also say that he did his job in getting Kassian out of the game. I also have no issue with Kassian going after him after being dropped twice hard. Smart by Tkachuk and Kassian had enough and went after him.

This was an entertaining game but Calgary was better. They were the more dangerous team, had the better goal tending when it mattered and kept the Oil shots to the less dangerous areas.
brocoli is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to brocoli For This Useful Post:
Old 01-13-2020, 02:33 PM   #616
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
So, I know that I'm a little late to this, but as an Oilers fan I will say that I have no issue with the hits that Tkachuk did. They were clean hits. I will also say that he did his job in getting Kassian out of the game. I also have no issue with Kassian going after him after being dropped twice hard. Smart by Tkachuk and Kassian had enough and went after him.

This was an entertaining game but Calgary was better. They were the more dangerous team, had the better goal tending when it mattered and kept the Oil shots to the less dangerous areas.
I completely agree with you perspective, only thing I'd say if I were a fan of your team, I'd have a problem with the timing of Kassian going after Tkachuk. He can't do that defending himself in a 3-3 game. If the game was a blow out, go for it, but you can't do that in a tie game defending yourself (when you are a tough guy), you have to pick your spots better.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 02:52 PM   #617
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm shocked at the number of Bertuzzi apologists coming out this weekend, do we need another career ended to remind us that punching someone in the back of the ####ing head isn't okay?
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:02 PM   #618
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

The BoA is back!!!
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:19 PM   #619
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by brocoli View Post
...This was an entertaining game but Calgary was better. They were the more dangerous team, had the better goal tending when it mattered and kept the Oil shots to the less dangerous areas.
Speaking of the game, it really felt like the Flames's depth is what won it for them. The current top-six experiment is an interesting one, and it further demonstrates just how deplorably bad the whole roster is. McHobo is now manning a line with Kavemen Kassian, and James the Real Heel Neal. It's essentially McDippsy-Doodle and two other guys who skate around and hope at best that he might bounce something off of their body in an opportune position near the net. One NHL player, and two effectively useless components.

The Oilers second line was their best line in the game. I was surprised by Yamamoto and thought he was the best player on the line, but this only served to demonstrate further the litany of problems with the Oilers. Draisaitl looks competent playing with other skilled players, but unless he is with McHobeo, then he NEEDS two more decent NHLers to function competently. And even then, his performance was completely underwhelming.

The obsession in Edmonton has been to create offence from two lines this year, and this latests iteration has failed for the same reasons it always will: the ONLY way to do it is to rob Peter to pay Paul. Either the Oilers keep McDreamy and the German together on a superfine at the expense of the rest of the roster, or they run with NHL players on line two at the expense of McDaiper, who can turn in some terrific individual performances, but still can only rarely will his team to victory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 03:22 PM   #620
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I completely agree with you perspective, only thing I'd say if I were a fan of your team, I'd have a problem with the timing of Kassian going after Tkachuk. He can't do that defending himself in a 3-3 game. If the game was a blow out, go for it, but you can't do that in a tie game defending yourself (when you are a tough guy), you have to pick your spots better.
I also would have a huge problem with the exaggeration of his response. Facewash him. Get into his face. Give him a jab or two. Attacking him like a starving animal was definitely NOT the right response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote