Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2020, 04:39 AM   #2381
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my 2015 MacBook Pro in for service and to have the hard drive wiped as the latest OS would not install.

Also kept losing my internet connection but they could not find the problem with hardware or software.

Anyone keep losing wifi from a MacBook?

Thanks!
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 04:40 AM   #2382
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:19 AM   #2383
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
As of right now, when you buy a new Apple Watch Series 3, it already has OS 6, so out of the box the Apple Watch doesn't work with her Apple phone. It's preposterous. The hardware works together fine because this watch used to work with this phone. Now, they changed the software on the watch and it prevents it from working with their own phone. It would cost them $0 to make sure they still worked well together, but instead, they would rather I spend $1,000 or so on a new phone for the privilege of using their products together.

Maybe some of you who have been loyal to Apple for years don't see a problem with this. Other ecosystems I have experience with don't do this type of thing. I've had a Pebble smartwatch, a Fossil smartwatch and a Samsung smartwatch. All of the watches I've had will work with any phone, be it iOS or Android. I know it's not a challenge for these companies to allow a friggin' watch to be paired to a phone. It's a nothing. Apple allowed this with my wife's phone, and then they took it away. You can say, 'larf, look at this guy expecting free stuff from Apple' or whatever it is you tell yourself that lets you accept ridiculous stuff like this, but I'm not going to. I know it's an a-hole move on their part and it annoys me.

I would bet there is a real software reason to do it not planned obsolescence. Making backwards compatible software is a significant development challenge so at some point you no longer support it. So while I agree it sucks and Apple has some of the shortest life spans it isnt driven to push you to upgrade. Itís driven likely to reduce programming cost or improve performance on the latest versions.

Itís kind of like the battery where Apple would cripple performance to ensure you maintained battery life. That was a design decision to try to optimize operation of the phone whereas people thought it was planned obsolescence.

I still do not like Apple but I disagree itís vindictive, itís lazy people instead
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:03 AM   #2384
TorqueDog
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Oh yeah and sorry if it seemed I was annoyed by your comments because I wasn't. Just annoyed at Apple. They don't operate how I like companies to operate, but I'm not their customer anymore so it typically doesn't affect me.
I am more than willing to call out Apple when they do sh-tty things, but this is a weird critique. Apple might just be the best in the mobile space for their long product support lifecycles.

iPhone 6 - Device released in September 2014, received x.y iOS updates until 12.4 in July 2019 -- last major/minor release until iOS 13. 5 years of major OS update support across 5 major OS releases, but still receiving iOS 12.4 revisions as recent as March 2020 (12.4.6).

Samsung Galaxy S7 (a flagship Android device) - Device released in March 2016, received its last major update in mid-2018 to Android 8.0 (which went GA in mid-2017). Funny thing is, mid-2018 is when Google released Android 9.0 so the phone was again behind as soon as it got the update. The S7 will not see an update beyond Android 8.1, receiving only security hotfixes. 2 years of major OS update support across 3 major OS releases, technically 1 year if you count that the OS wasn't even current by the time they released it. It last received a security hotfix in February 2020 (I have one as a Wi-Fi only device) but still only received two major OS updates before being put out to pasture.

Google Pixel (1st gen) - Device released in October 2016 on Android 7.1, final major OS update (10.0) delivered in September 2019, final official security hotfix was delivered in December 2019. 3 years of major OS update support across 4 major OS releases.

Google is probably the fairest comparison in that they too own development of the OS and the device. And they don't provide nearly as good product support as Apple.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 11:07 AM   #2385
Sliver
PC LOAD LETTER

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I am more than willing to call out Apple when they do sh-tty things, but this is a weird critique. Apple might just be the best in the mobile space for their long product support lifecycles.

iPhone 6 - Device released in September 2014, received x.y iOS updates until 12.4 in July 2019 -- last major/minor release until iOS 13. 5 years of major OS update support across 5 major OS releases, but still receiving iOS 12.4 revisions as recent as March 2020 (12.4.6).

Samsung Galaxy S7 (a flagship Android device) - Device released in March 2016, received its last major update in mid-2018 to Android 8.0 (which went GA in mid-2017). Funny thing is, mid-2018 is when Google released Android 9.0 so the phone was again behind as soon as it got the update. The S7 will not see an update beyond Android 8.1, receiving only security hotfixes. 2 years of major OS update support across 3 major OS releases, technically 1 year if you count that the OS wasn't even current by the time they released it. It last received a security hotfix in February 2020 (I have one as a Wi-Fi only device) but still only received two major OS updates before being put out to pasture.

Google Pixel (1st gen) - Device released in October 2016 on Android 7.1, final major OS update (10.0) delivered in September 2019, final official security hotfix was delivered in December 2019. 3 years of major OS update support across 4 major OS releases.

Google is probably the fairest comparison in that they too own development of the OS and the device. And they don't provide nearly as good product support as Apple.
I'm pretty sure you didn't understand my gripe. In fact, if this were a Samsung product everything would have still worked. Apple took two products that worked great together and then upgraded one of those products so they couldn't be used together anymore. That's not a very good "update".
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote