Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2020, 03:23 PM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Flames Flames opt not to sign 2016 pick Linus Lindstrom & 2018 pick Milos Roman

https://twitter.com/user/status/1267566905507770368

Both prospects showed little growth in their games the last few years and the organization decided to move on it looks like.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-01-2020 at 03:25 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 03:39 PM   #2
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

No surprises. Lindstrom showed a little bit of growth coming out of last season, but it was too little to late. I am sure that he will make a good career out of the SHL.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:58 PM   #3
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised by Roman. I thought he was touted as a high hockey IQ, defensively capable forward. I'm guessing he is young enough to re-enter the draft?
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:11 PM   #4
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Surprised by Roman. I thought he was touted as a high hockey IQ, defensively capable forward. I'm guessing he is young enough to re-enter the draft?
while I think those descriptors are true his offense actually slipped back year to year, and he was at 19 not dramatically outscoring his draft year numbers- I could see maybe a camp invite somewhere as opposed to someone deploying a draft pick?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:05 PM   #5
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who’s gonna be in Stockton next yr?:

Kirkland-Gawdin-Phillips
Philp-Ruzicka-Tuulola
Zavgorodny-Pettersen-Pospisil
Lomberg-Quine-Robinson

Mackey-Yelesin
Lerby-Moro
Poolman-Wilson

Zagidulin
Parsons
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:24 PM   #6
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Who’s gonna be in Stockton next yr?:

Kirkland-Gawdin-Phillips
Philp-Ruzicka-Tuulola
Zavgorodny-Pettersen-Pospisil
Lomberg-Quine-Robinson

Mackey-Yelesin
Lerby-Moro
Poolman-Wilson

Zagidulin
Parsons
That is awful, our pipeline is barren. At least the parent club is young because that roster is the island of misfit toys. The only 4 players I think have a chance are Phillips, Zavgorodny and Mackey, and Poolman. And I wouldn't rate their chances as good. This honestly reminds me of the Sutter years in terms of having no prospects. Like I said, at least the parent club is young there is still time to figure this out.

BT has got to stop making trades involving picks unless they are coming our way. We can't even blame the scouts really, it's all on the GM for a lack of picks, specifically rounds 1-3. Losing two former 4ths sucks considering that's usually one of our earlier picks.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:26 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You don't think Gawdin, Pettersen, Pospisil and Ruzicka have a chance?

Anyway that's basically the same team that was one of the top teams in the AHL this year.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 05:38 PM   #8
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You don't think Gawdin, Pettersen, Pospisil and Ruzicka have a chance?

Anyway that's basically the same team that was one of the top teams in the AHL this year.
I dont think they are anything special, maybe they can become depth so that millions of dollars dont need to be wasted on 4th liners anymore. Well, except Pettersen, he's pure boom/bust. Would be okay with him more if the system was more flush. The fact that these guys are some of our best prospects worries me tbh. I feel most teams outside of Edmonton have these types of players in spades plus guys with actual potential to be impact players.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
That is awful, our pipeline is barren. At least the parent club is young because that roster is the island of misfit toys. The only 4 players I think have a chance are Phillips, Zavgorodny and Mackey, and Poolman. And I wouldn't rate their chances as good. This honestly reminds me of the Sutter years in terms of having no prospects. Like I said, at least the parent club is young there is still time to figure this out.

BT has got to stop making trades involving picks unless they are coming our way. We can't even blame the scouts really, it's all on the GM for a lack of picks, specifically rounds 1-3. Losing two former 4ths sucks considering that's usually one of our earlier picks.

Now we are back to "What constitutes success?"
What makes Zav, MacKey, & Poolman (none of whom have played a professional hockey game) better in your eyes than Ruzicka, or Yelesin (who with Gadwin got an NHL call up)?

Are Roman and Linus failures to be used as stats on bad drafting, or just guys who didn't pan out in the great NHL crap shoot?

Though not success, in their cases I think it is just guys who couldn't take it to the next level to warrant a special contract/team slot.
A team can only have so many contracts and only have so many players at each level.

You could consider MacKey & Poolman as the 4th round replacements as they only cost the team money, not picks, to acquire. Two guys who were not progressing out, two guys who seem to be progressing in.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:08 PM   #10
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Well we also have Valimaki, Pelletier and Kylington who are at different stages of the pipeline.

Two of those guys are our top prospects and we also should have a good 1st round pick this year.

I do agree though things aren’t as good as I’d like but the fact we have found good players in late rounds/college signings helps bridge things a little.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 06:09 PM   #11
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

"A" Prospects
Pelletier
Petterson
Wolf

"B" Prospects
Zavgorodny
Phillips
Mackey
Zagidulin
Parsons

"C" Prospects
Nikolayev
Poolman
Yelesin
Rusicka
Gillies

I would rate an "A" prospect as having significant value, a "B" prospect as NHL upside, and "C" prospect as only having value to the organization an not much in trade. This is a better group of prospects than Calgary has had in the lifetime of the organization, and about average in the NHL.

As mentioned, not bad considering that a few prospects have graduated recently. (I would put Valimaki and Kylington in this group)
Old 06-01-2020, 06:59 PM   #12
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
Now we are back to "What constitutes success?"
What makes Zav, MacKey, & Poolman (none of whom have played a professional hockey game) better in your eyes than Ruzicka, or Yelesin (who with Gadwin got an NHL call up)?

Are Roman and Linus failures to be used as stats on bad drafting, or just guys who didn't pan out in the great NHL crap shoot?

Though not success, in their cases I think it is just guys who couldn't take it to the next level to warrant a special contract/team slot.
A team can only have so many contracts and only have so many players at each level.

You could consider MacKey & Poolman as the 4th round replacements as they only cost the team money, not picks, to acquire. Two guys who were not progressing out, two guys who seem to be progressing in.
3 of the 4 I mentioned have yet to play but their potential seems high enough, like nhl level player potential, so I guess that's why I mentioned them. We will see I guess. Phillips seems like a wild card, dont want to write him off yet.

Ruzicka and Yelesin seem like high floor, low ceiling guys to me, maybe bottom of the roster depth for a few years? Need guys like that to step into limited roles to prevent spending too much on the bottom 6. If they make it as depth, that will be a success. We need more than that though. Those are the types of guys other teams have as well. We need to stay ahead of the curve and have a better stable of prospects in order to be successful.

I liked the Pelletier pick, and valimaki. All I'm saying is we need more ammo for the gun for our prospects to produce prospects like that. I realize they are 1st rounders but you can find similar level prospects in the 2nd and 3rd round sometimes. Dube was an excellent pick for example. We need more of those level picks, not less. You'll never find guys like dube if you trade the picks all the time. The gustafsson and Forbort trades pissed me off. Just more of the same from this GM. The lack of quality picks is starting to show imo, is all I'm trying to say.

I realize our team is mostly homegrown and guys like lindholm and hanifin were acquired via Hamilton who was acquired via picks. That was the one good draft pick trade BT has made and it was because he got a u23 former 1st round dman back. Not middling depth. The system is hurting, but the team is young so all is not lost. Need to stop trading those picks though unless it's for a thoroughbred like Hamilton.
Old 06-01-2020, 07:17 PM   #13
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
"A" Prospects
Pelletier
Petterson
Wolf

"B" Prospects
Zavgorodny
Phillips
Mackey
Zagidulin
Parsons

"C" Prospects
Nikolayev
Poolman
Yelesin
Rusicka
Gillies

I would rate an "A" prospect as having significant value, a "B" prospect as NHL upside, and "C" prospect as only having value to the organization an not much in trade. This is a better group of prospects than Calgary has had in the lifetime of the organization, and about average in the NHL.

As mentioned, not bad considering that a few prospects have graduated recently. (I would put Valimaki and Kylington in this group)
You think Pettersen is "A"? I don't know, I mean I hope so but I dont see him as that

A

Pelletier

B

Most of the system. I agree with your definition but would expand, I would define B as prospects with some potential but with warts. Long shots to become impact players but a chance at becoming solid depth players. Wolf is an interesting one, I would have to label him as a B for now though. Memories of Leland Irving haunt me. The russian goalie is older and his sv% in the AHL wasn't great if I recall. I'm not sure he is a B. I thought of Parsons as a B when he was drafted but his development has been rocky this far. He seems like a long shot. Pettersen seems like a reasonable B here.

C

What is a C prospect though? I see your definition but I see it as more indicative of fringe 4th liner/7th dman type/backup potential. Disposable replacement level guys. I look at nikolayev as better than that, probably a B or close to. The other guys you might be right about.

This is not the best level of prospects the team has had though, not even close. The 80s and very early 90s destroyed this system. It was bursting at the seams. I think it is below average league wide right now, and about on par with most years as far as the franchise is concerned. Since around 92 or 93, it's been bad. Never has it improved to even average in that whole length of time imo, despite some nice players being produced. I dont consider early 1sts like Monahan, bennett and tkachuk to be indicative of a good system, more a benefit of sucking. The real challange is finding guys beyond the top 5/10.

I realize our team right now is as good as its been since the 2006 and mostly comprised of our own picks. However I would only describe the current team as average.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 06-01-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:07 PM   #14
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know Wolf had a great year but I can’t see him being an A prospect yet.
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:26 PM   #15
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
You think Pettersen is "A"? I don't know, I mean I hope so but I dont see him as that...
Pettersen was the undisputed top forward on one of the top teams in the NCAA in his second college season. He was one of the three youngest players in Denver, and has just signed his first NHL contract.

Take a look at the (short) list of college players who earn NHL deals after two years, and that will tell you everything you need to know about just how good a prospect this kid is.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 08:36 PM   #16
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wolf's 3 years with Everett :

20GP 2.25GAA .928SV
61GP 1.69GAA .936SV
46GP 1.88GAA .935SV

He picked up right where Carter Hart left off, and Hart is one of the best young goalies in the game. Everett is among the best junior cities for developing a goalie.

As for Pettersen, he has gotten better every year he has played, and I don't think that he has peaked yet. He has some of that Husileus ability to see the ice.

As for the others, you never really know, anyone could break out and be a surprise, just as easily as a sure thing could be a bust.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #17
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Roman try for an AHL deal with some team.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:11 PM   #18
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Wolf's 3 years with Everett :

20GP 2.25GAA .928SV
61GP 1.69GAA .936SV
46GP 1.88GAA .935SV

He picked up right where Carter Hart left off, and Hart is one of the best young goalies in the game. Everett is among the best junior cities for developing a goalie.

As for Pettersen, he has gotten better every year he has played, and I don't think that he has peaked yet. He has some of that Husileus ability to see the ice.

As for the others, you never really know, anyone could break out and be a surprise, just as easily as a sure thing could be a bust.

Wolf could be the second coming of Patrick Roy but I still won’t trust another goalie prospect for the Flames until he is putting up great numbers in at least the AHL.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2020, 11:25 PM   #19
boogerz
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm surprised they didn't take a flyer on Roman. Sure he was disappointing for a good part of the season (not that the rest of the Vancouver Giants were much better), but he ended with 23 points in his last 19 games. He's arguably as good or better than Posposil and Tuulola, and if we're considering Roman to be similar to Klimchuk with respect to style and overall skill level... they gave Klimchuk a long leash until he busted.
boogerz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 11:26 PM   #20
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Klimchuk was a first-rounder.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote