Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who should start game one?
Rittich 130 40.25%
Talbot 193 59.75%
Voters: 323. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-30-2020, 10:21 PM   #201
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's a tiny sample size, but Rittich has never lost to the Jets in regulation. 2𢠣 in three starts.
I think Rittich could be a game-breaker in these playoffs. He has been so dominant on the road for the most part, and the entire playoffs are away from home, I feel like he could have a fantastic run.
Jetfire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 10:51 PM   #202
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's a tiny sample size, but Rittich has never lost to the Jets in regulation. 2𢠣 in three starts.
I know we've been talking about Johnny's playoff game lately, but his stats vs WPG are also great historically:

9 goals and 10 assists for 19 points in 15 games.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 06:40 AM   #203
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I just hope Johnny shows up this time around. This should be a fun series to watch.
Old 05-31-2020, 10:03 AM   #204
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

With how much time off the players have had, I think depth will be very emphasized in this series. Winnipeg has the clear edge on forward depth and goalies, but that defense is atrocious. Calgary could rub out a 4/5 game series with that defensive depth. And our defensive depth outshined anything else in this series. If Ward utilizes his men right on D, we have a great shot at winning and also winning any OT’s that come our way. We just need to be really disciplined when it comes to taking penalties.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 10:59 AM   #205
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Gaudreau has never come across as a player that doesn't care to me. If anything I think he lets his frustrations get to him too much. That much has been really visible the last several years.

I'd put him at the polar opposite end of the spectrum from Dougie Hamilton when it comes to caring about the outcome of hockey games.

To add to that, Monahan is usually playing through several significant injuries towards the end of the season. He should be healed up and ready to go this series.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 11:12 AM   #206
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Absolutely. I don't think Gaudreau has what it takes to perform in the playoffs the way he needs to. I just don't think it's a matter of caring like was suggested.

Maybe it can still come, but so far he hasn't looked particularly playoff capable. His idol was Danny Briere, so you'd hope he can find a way to rise to the intensity of the playoffs and perform like Briere did.

I think this is one of the reasons the Flames didn't play him as much on the top line last season. I believe they have a game plan. Putting him in places where he may not be the focus should be the key.
Old 05-31-2020, 01:08 PM   #207
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I think this is one of the reasons the Flames didn't play him as much on the top line last season. I believe they have a game plan. Putting him in places where he may not be the focus should be the key.
I thought Gaudreau and the Flames played their best hockey when he was moved around the line up during a game, spending a bunch of time on the third line double shifted with Lucic. I believe that was right after Ward took over.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 02:08 PM   #208
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

All beating around the bush aside, hopefully Johnny has the girlfriend honeymoon phase out of the way, got a little disenchanted with relationship life over the quarantine months and has built up a hunger for hockey again.

Tournaments have been your bread and butter at every level Johnny boy, it's time to show them what you've got.

I want that BC Eagles, USA world cup guy to show up.

Last edited by djsFlames; 05-31-2020 at 02:11 PM.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 02:51 PM   #209
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I genuinely think the real x-factor of this series will be Milan Lucic. If he comes through and pots a couple goals and throws a ton of hits, I think the Flames take it. If he's Neal-esque, I think it'll be a lot harder for the Flames to win.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 03:17 PM   #210
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I thought Gaudreau and the Flames played their best hockey when he was moved around the line up during a game, spending a bunch of time on the third line double shifted with Lucic. I believe that was right after Ward took over.
Agreed. Harder for opposing teams to have a game plan built around Gaudreau when he is used everywhere. Suddenly there is Monahan and Gaudreau when teams least expect it! Also he should have a bit more energy and stamina if teams can't key in. Might not be built for the top line but can be dangerous against 2nd, 3rd liners! Deeper in the lineup, I think that's where the games are going to be won!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2020, 04:05 PM   #211
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Agreed. Harder for opposing teams to have a game plan built around Gaudreau when he is used everywhere. Suddenly there is Monahan and Gaudreau when teams least expect it! Also he should have a bit more energy and stamina if teams can't key in. Might not be built for the top line but can be dangerous against 2nd, 3rd liners! Deeper in the lineup, I think that's where the games are going to be won!
It's almost like the Oilers figured this one out with Mc25minutes and just got carried away with the strategy to where there was no cap on when he couldn't be out there.

Firmly planting your top talent on one line feels like dinosaur thinking nowadays.
Old 05-31-2020, 04:19 PM   #212
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I'm gonna go ahead and assume Gio has been training like a beast since the season was cancelled, and he'll come into playoffs with the crazy ripped physique he brings to the golf charity event in the summer every year. Can't sustain that kind of training for a full season, but this break is gonna be HUGE for the vets.

Plus the bars have been shut down for COVID, so Johnny and the boys are probably well-rested too I feel like the stars have aligned for the Flames somehow.

Flames are gonna rally, let's goooo
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:13 PM   #213
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure if discussed already but the Flames D is going to be pretty deep if they get the season going again.

They added some guys because of injuries at the end....who is going to be the odd man out now that everyone will likely be healthy by the time they get started?

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Forbort - Andersson
Gustafsson - Stone
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 04:21 PM   #214
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I genuinely think the real x-factor of this series will be Milan Lucic. If he comes through and pots a couple goals and throws a ton of hits, I think the Flames take it. If he's Neal-esque, I think it'll be a lot harder for the Flames to win.
All I want for Christmas is a Lucic double OT winner in game 7 against the oilers.
Fire of the Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire of the Phoenix For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 04:22 PM   #215
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Not sure if discussed already but the Flames D is going to be pretty deep if they get the season going again.

They added some guys because of injuries at the end....who is going to be the odd man out now that everyone will likely be healthy by the time they get started?

Giordano - Brodie
Hanifin - Hamonic
Forbort - Andersson
Gustafsson - Stone
+Kylington, Valimaki

Would be lovely if they could make a run and take advantage of having all those NHLers able to step in on the blue line.

If you make it three rounds deep it starts to become a huge advantage to possess. Big if, though.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:26 PM   #216
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
All I want for Christmas is a Lucic double OT winner in game 7 against the oilers.
My heart couldn't handle such a thing. I'd prefer Lucic scoring the GWG in every game of a 4 game sweep.
Old 06-07-2020, 04:30 PM   #217
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
That'd be beautiful.

I probably wouldn't stop smiling until the next series started.

Even in my sleep.
Old 06-09-2020, 11:18 AM   #218
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

A lot of pundits are picking the Jets.

Craig Custance did a poll of one anonymous NHL executive, one anonymous NHL coach, and one anonymous NHL scout. All three picked the Jets to win, although they said the series would be close. They gave the edge to Winnipeg because of Hellebuyck.

I抦 hoping these writers get the Flames fired up. They are definitely not favoured by the so-called experts.

The Flames will need to be at their best to beat Winnipeg. The Jets have a world-class goalie and firepower at forward.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #219
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would rather the Flames be "underdogs"

Reality is they played a better team last year as the #1 seed. Avs were no 8th seed, they were only there because of injury and goal tending issues that had been fixed by playoff time
Old 06-09-2020, 03:01 PM   #220
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
#### that.

All I want for Christmas is Lucic to get 3-5 goals in a 4-game sweep of the Oilers.
IamNotKenKing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post: