Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default All Wheel Drive Vehicle Thread

So my current lease is coming up December next year, but my warranty is up in June. Its an MB ML350 that has had quite a few trips to the dealership in order to have relatively major work done given its age and mileage - generally speaking I am finding its not a great cold weather performer either. Lets just say I am not overly enthusiastic to go back to that manufacturer after my most recent experience.

In my search for a new vehicle I've got only a few requirements. It must have a great all-wheel drive system, no trouble in cold weather, enough space for a family (kid and dogs), and good reports for durability.

Ideally I'm considering a purchase over a lease, and I'd like the vehicle to last for 10 years.

I am considering adding a towing capacity requirement as I'd like to be able to get some toys like a camping trailer or boat within the next 10 years and don't want to have to buy an accompanying vehicle just to do so.

We don't drive a lot - our annual milage is well under the 20,000km/year average, but we do take road trips and we bring a lot of crap with us.

Basically I've read about the two different classes of AWD systems - one class is not engaged at all times and is a feedback based system, the other is engaged all the time and while it spends more fuel it tends to deliver superior handling and safety.

What are people's recommendations and experiences with their AWD vehicles?

Obviously I am drifting towards Subaru right off the bat, but I haven't been in the market for a while and haven't been able to keep up with other manufacturers offerings.
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:37 AM   #2
BlackAce
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Subaru... Subaru... Subaru

I have a Subaru Outback and would marry that car if it could touch me like those street walkers off 3rd Ave errr I mean my wife can

Subaru! Subaru! Subaru! Oi! Oi! Oi!
(oh and I am not a Subaru salesman either)
BlackAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:41 AM   #3
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

we've looking for an AWD as well. I'm considering a subaru, but then took out an Audi Q5 for a spin. Now that was an awesome car. The Q7 is quite big, even has 3rd seating. Those are a couple of more cars you might want to consider.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:43 AM   #4
prarieboy
Late Bloomer

Exp:

We love our Toyota Highlander. It handles well and has lots of power to pass on the highway. I don't know any details about the AWD system but it has Traction control and Vehicle Stability control systems. It's nearly impossible to get the tires to spin off the line or slide in a turn.

There worth a look for sure.
prarieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:51 AM   #5
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Its an MB ML350 that has had quite a few trips to the dealership in order to have relatively major work done given its age and mileage - generally speaking I am finding its not a great cold weather performer either. Lets just say I am not overly enthusiastic to go back to that manufacturer after my most recent experience.
In that case probably stay away from the Audi's and BMW's as well...great looking/driving, fun cars, but only if you like getting buddy buddy with Dieter the mechanic every few months.

It's hard to beat a Subaru went you want a good AWD.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:56 AM   #6
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

I'm on year number 5 of my Ford Escape. Other than basic maintinence such as oil changes and a new set of tires, my Escape has been trouble free. The AWD is great in the winter. Back seat folds down flat creating lots of room for storage. The V6 engine has lots of power for passing and seems to get good gas milage. Not sure what the towing capcity is for this vehicle. Will be buying another Escape when the times comes to trade her in.

Old 11-05-2009, 09:12 AM   #7
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
In that case probably stay away from the Audi's and BMW's as well...great looking/driving, fun cars, but only if you like getting buddy buddy with Dieter the mechanic every few months.

It's hard to beat a Subaru went you want a good AWD.
Ha! Good point. I'm already getting buddy buddy with Dieter the Accountant, so one is enough.

I've actually heard that most european vehicles are made to last for two leasing cycles and then they go to crap. Mine is in its second cycle and the frequency of failures is making me think that this is true. Its probably not true for the higher end stuff, but I'm not playing in that arena.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dion, we did get a chance to test drive the escape going to kelowna a few years back in the middle of a blizzard. We were pretty happy with it, but it was tight with our two dogs and their kennels (broken down), it'd be even tougher with a kiddo now.

The next step up in size would be an explorer, right?
Old 11-05-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
We were pretty happy with it, but it was tight with our two dogs and their kennels (broken down), it'd be even tougher with a kiddo now.
My wife and I have a Toyota Rav4 (which is larger than an Escape for interiror room) it has enough room for stuff and our two dogs who are 60 and 90 pounds and not much else. With a kid on the way and our lease about to expire I'm trying to figure out what to do. Given the stuff you have to pack around with a kid, I think the Rav4 is going to be too small, even if we were to get a cargo carrier to put on the roof. We've had zero problems with the all wheel drive and found that it gets around as well as we could want. The V6 engine has great power and gets reasonably good fuel milage. But the charcoal cannister went and it's a fricken $1400 paint can that I have to buy from Toyota so that turns me off. Also Toyota has had quality issues lately and when they do need repairs, you better have deep pockets.

I think for our next vehichle we'll have to look for something bigger, and I might even consider a domestic given the better warranty that they are putting on their vehichles and that they are a fair bit cheaper. If it does last for 8-10 years no vehichle is worth much at that point compared to the original price. Of course I might also have to give in and settle for the dreaded mini van with all wheel drive. Fact is if Interior room is a priority for you, you can't match the van no matter how uncool you think it is.
Old 11-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #10
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Dion, we did get a chance to test drive the escape going to kelowna a few years back in the middle of a blizzard. We were pretty happy with it, but it was tight with our two dogs and their kennels (broken down), it'd be even tougher with a kiddo now.

The next step up in size would be an explorer, right?
The Explorer would be the next step up
Old 11-05-2009, 11:10 AM   #11
La Flames Fan
THE Chuck Storm

Exp:

I just got an AWD Toyota Venza...awesome vehicle so far, can't say enough. What I liked as well was the amount of stuff that came standard, yes I upgraded to the Premium package, but that was for the leather heated seats. Automatic rear cargo door, just a whole schwack of stuff.

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObje...0.9?index.html
Old 11-05-2009, 11:29 AM   #12
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

AWD systems are NOT created equally. This is a great little video that shows the difference with respect to the AWD systems in a Toyota RAV4 and a CRV (and a volvo too I think) with the Subaru system.

Bottom line - the Toyota and the Honda systems can't send enough power to the rears. I would put the Quattro system up there with of course, Subaru.

Thing is - sounds like you want some mega room to haul around stuff. Not sure an SUV/CUV is going to give you enough room. You may want to consider a roof to box to give you extra room. Otherwise you may want to look at an AWD Sienna Minivan. Loads of room, good vehicle. (you're a father, your ego is strong enough! ;-)) Actually most people I know that go to a minivan swear by it afterwards.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:52 AM   #13
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is what I'd buy if I had an extra 30k lying around.

If I had an extra 50-60k, I'd also get one of these.

I'd probably still have to keep the Toyota though during times when then Rover broke down....
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #14
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Had a Subaru Legacy wagon for a couple of years now-LOVE IT!
Lots of get up and go, smooth ride and very decent mileage. Heated seats and winter tires make it a vomfortable and unstoppable winter vehicle.
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:28 PM   #15
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would say that you really need to look at what you are hoping to do with the vehicle especially since you want it for 8-10 years. Buy it for what you want to do with it, not for what you are doing now.

You said that you want to get into towing a trailer and boat etc. A lot of imports may have an issue with this as you will need to have at least a V6 and the towing capacity of at least 3500lbs. (no honda CRV)

If you start looking at trailers you need to consider what type of trailer as most of the hardwall trailers you would want at least 4500-6000lbs of towing to be able to tow a fully loaded trailer and vehicle, not to say you couldn't do it with a 3500lbs capacity but you are much safer to go with larger capacity. If your looking at a small ultralight or tent trailer then 3500lbs might be enough, I do this every summer with my Outlander but I am not entirely sure I'd brave a trip deep through the mountains.(although you might be pushing the space/wieght factor if you have a dog or two and kids, and all their stuff).

I don't know anything about pulling a boat so I can't comment on that but a big ski boat can be a lot more than 3500lbs.

what does that leave....

the big GM crossovers (enclave, outback, traverse, acadia)(4500lbs tow)

These ones below can range anyware from 3500 - 11000lbs for towing

GM/ford/dodge full size trucks.... associated SUVs - not Explorer - can't pull anything - uhaul used to not even let you pull their trailers with them.

big nissan/toyota trucks( Titan/tundra)/SUVs(sequioa, armada)

I am not too sure about the higher end stuff like a MB or a BMW Audi etc. but if you are looking for towing capability then from what I have seen you might want to look more domestic.

Last edited by socktape; 11-05-2009 at 01:31 PM.
socktape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:33 PM   #16
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the explorer unhaul issue was due to roll over risks in the late 90's.. I've towed a 4000lbs ski boat through the mountains behind a 04' explorer a few times with no problems.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 01:46 PM   #17
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I think the explorer unhaul issue was due to roll over risks in the late 90's.. I've towed a 4000lbs ski boat through the mountains behind a 04' explorer a few times with no problems.
You're right, 2010 XLT V8 AWD has a max tow capacity of 7130lbs with the towing package.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #18
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
I had a 94 Explorer, and with those models, you could get them with two types of differentials, one giving a higher trailering capacity, which is what we had. It was also 4x4, manual transmission, and those models had that extra low 4x4 gear.

If you are looking for space, Explorer is a perfect size. I now drive a Hyundai Sante Fe 3.3 GLS AWD and it is very roomy inside too. Bigger than an Escape or Toyota Rav4.

I looked at the Rav4's and that new model is ugly, plus it is about the only model out there in that size classification with a back door rear mount spare tire. Never liked the Subaru as the model for this year only has a 4 speed transmission and takes high octane gas, making it pricier to drive.

The Honda CRV is very underpowerd compared to most models in that size classification.

Last edited by redforever; 11-05-2009 at 05:14 PM.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:06 PM   #19
socktape
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
The Honda CRV is very underpowerd compared to most models in that size classification.
The CRV only has a 4cylinder engine so you wouldn't be able to pull much of a trailer with it at all.

We have a Mitsubishi outlander which is great in the city and will pull our tent trailer just fine. That being said, we're pretty packed in there with camping gear, bike stuff and kids stuff with 2 small children. not sure if we could do it quite the same with a dog in there as well.

While great for in the city as I am sure any of the rav4, escapes and the like may not be what you are looking for if you want to get in to the bigger toys. If I were to do it over again I would propably get something a bit larger
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #20
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I'm going to chime in not with anything of too much value, but mostly because I love car threads here and wish there were more.

I have an 07 Sienna and I pull a 3500 tent trailer with it. It pulls awesome - I even had it to Shuswap and back this summer, in addition to shorter distances. These vehicles have 266 hp or something and will smoke most SUVs. Bang for buck, you pay about 25% more for a comparably equipped SUV over a minivan (according to my research). I believe margins are smaller for minivans because they are less sexy.

Before I bought the Sienna, I was looking at Toyota 4Runners and Ford Expeditions. I didn't like the quality of the Expedition and with two kids I knew I wasn't going to be offroading the 4Runner like I would have in my 20s. The additional cost for an SUV just didn't seem worth it, and the minivan is way more comfortable for adults, kids, animals and anything else you may want to bring with you. Plus I press a button and the doors open themselves. How pimp is that?!

Also, minivans are more fuel efficient than typical SUVs, which is an important consideration. My minivan is FWD, but they are availble in AWD. With winter tires, stability control and traction control, however, I think AWD is unnecessary and you pay more for it upfront, in maintenance, in fuel economy and in performance.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awd , brand new car , price is right