Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2020, 09:08 AM   #21
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sempuki View Post
After taxes and fees, the number gets a lot smaller. And that has to last you until retirement, if you don't have other marketable skills.

Still, it's a good quality of life for most people. He should take it and run.
I hate to focus on this in this thread, as this is horrible news for Ferly and it’s not about the money, it’s just sad he may not get to continue his career, that’s devastating.

But the whole argument that comes up for players that there money has to last until retirement drives me nuts. One they’ve got 20 working years left to do something else and develop more marketable skills should they want more money, just like the rest of us have too. Two, even for a guy like Ferly, he’s Shoukd be set money wise if he doesn’t want to work.

He’s earned just under $10M so far in his career and us owed about $8M more on his current contract that’s insured no doubt. We all pay taxes. He will have earned the equivalent of someone who works a 40 year career and earns 450K a year each year.......All if it up front before he’s 35. He should be very much set for life if he wants to be.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 10:43 AM   #22
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
After taxes and fees, the number gets a lot smaller. And that has to last you until retirement, if you don't have other marketable skills.

So he ends up with 9 million after tax over his career. Assuming half is wasted he has 4.5 million left. At a 4% SWR he can take 180k per year out forever with relatively low risk.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:44 AM   #23
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I first started going to the U of C the Flames would have their prospects play a game at the Father David Bauer Arena. If you've never seen a game there it is quite an intimate, old-school college rink. Fans would sit on one side, while most media and team personnel were on the other. Flames scratches would gather to watch the game in the far corner away from from the main entrance. Ferland was scratched the first time I attended.

The concession was closed the first time, so if you wanted a snack or drink you had to go all the way around the rink near the corner where the Flames scratches were to access the vending machines. As I wandered over I saw the Flames players standing in their suits, watching the game, joking around. All except one. Ferland was talking to a few kids who had wandered over. It was charming in how he introduced himself as "I'm Micheal, what's your names?", never talked about being a player or a big deal, and just chatted hockey and school with them.

I don't remember what happened that game, but that always stuck with me. That's the kind of person he was starting out, and I always felt good hearing those stories throughout his career. I am fully in the boat rooting for Ferland to get healthy and be as happy as he's made others in his life.

Best wishes, Micheal.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:59 AM   #24
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Feel like we really saw concussion issues start that one playoffs. Bieksa the plastic tough guy jumped him in the corner and landed a shot flush before he even had his gloves off rather than squaring off. Ferland stood in but then rigth away I the next round against Anaheim I remember him lining someone up for a hit and getting elbowed hard in the face and heading to the bench looking concussed. Two super hard shots to the head in 3 games.

Glad he got his payday. Hope he has a great life outside of hockey.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #25
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Feel like we really saw concussion issues start that one playoffs. Bieksa the plastic tough guy jumped him in the corner and landed a shot flush before he even had his gloves off rather than squaring off. Ferland stood in but then rigth away I the next round against Anaheim I remember him lining someone up for a hit and getting elbowed hard in the face and heading to the bench looking concussed. Two super hard shots to the head in 3 games.

It was an elbow from Nate Thompson that started it that season.

Ferland tried to run around in the Anaheim series like he had in the Canucks series and the Ducks were just a significantly tougher and dirtier team.

100s of sub-concussive impacts over his career. 64 fights in the last 10 years.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:45 AM   #26
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

If he retires he forfeits all that money doesnt he? Best to just go on ltir no?
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:10 PM   #27
Zoller
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
If he retires he forfeits all that money doesnt he? Best to just go on ltir no?
No way he actually retires. It's either LTIR or he plays.

Great thing about concussions is it's easy to just say you're still feeling symptoms. If he doesn't want to ever play another game he doesn't have to.

I'm not saying that's what he's doing. I'm just saying maybe he should look after that brain of his. I'm sure he knows the risks better than anyone though.

I'm glad he got his money.
Zoller is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zoller For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 12:13 PM   #28
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Always liked Ferland, he is the type of player I really enjoy watching play.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 12:18 PM   #29
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post

Yeah the Ducks weren't the Canucks and we're ready for him trying the same stiff. He tried for that hit his second shift of game 1, and that was that for his running around, and then was out for half an hour of real time.

Guaranteed he has other episodes with the Flames, before and after, and undoubtedly some in the WHL, just not official.

As of course has been proven, once you have a few, the next one's come much easier.

Very surprised anyone have him that kind of deal, these signs were pretty obvious in his time in Carolina.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 01:30 PM   #30
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Yeah Volchenkov was suspended in 2014 for his dirty elbow giving Ferland his first official concussion I believe.

It was Ferly's 1st NHL game too.

Last edited by AC; 02-15-2020 at 01:32 PM.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2020, 02:18 PM   #31
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Still works out to over $4M. You would have to make $200K per year for 40 years to take home that much money. I think he will be alright, can pretty well work any job he wants if he wants for the rest of his life.
Beatle17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:24 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Michael Ferland overcame some formidable obstacles to make it to The Show. It's a shame if it ends this way, but hopefully he'll still have the support he needs going forward.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #33
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yeah Volchenkov was suspended in 2014 for his dirty elbow giving Ferland his first official concussion I believe.

It was Ferly's 1st NHL game too.
So ####ing dirty
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 02:32 PM   #34
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nevermind, beaten by AC

I've always like Furland, hope he get better soon.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:17 PM   #35
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's officially shut down for the rest of the season...

Old 02-17-2020, 07:23 PM   #36
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 02-17-2020, 07:29 PM   #37
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

I love Ferly. Always have.

Guy needs to hang em up and become an indiginous role model through speaking engagements or appearances. That’s as important as him being a top 6 NHLer. Probably more.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 07:34 PM   #38
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

its a tough break for sure... was pulling for Ferly to be able to make a recovery, but at this point, he's going to have to start thinking about his future...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 09:38 AM   #39
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ferland is still trying to return next year.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237761233354240002
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2020, 10:23 AM   #40
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Ferland is still trying to return next year.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1237761233354240002
Jeez, I would expect the guy is getting medical advice on this, but how could this be worth it? Unless he has been very irresponsible in managing his money, the added income from a return seems like it should pale in comparison to what he's risking. It's not like he's Crosby and can make a big contribution without mixing it up and taking more shots to the head.

I loved Ferland when he played with the Flames. I hope this all has a happy ending for him despite it seeming pretty risky and perhaps irresponsible.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote