Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 04-02-2017, 01:51 PM   #4981
Southside
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boniman View Post
Agreed. But we don't need a thread dedicated to Calgary because we are jealous of their averageness. I'd rather suck for 10 years and have a powerful team than 'do ok' like Calgary does every year.
Wait. What? So Oilers. You play to win. Nope, "I'd rather suck for 10 years...". Thanks for coming out! Loser.
The Following User Says Thank You to Southside For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 02:06 PM   #4982
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

It appears the Oilers finally making the playoffs has opened some kind of third dimensional hole that has released a wave of trolls across the internet.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #4983
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
It appears the Oilers finally making the playoffs has opened some kind of third dimensional hole that has released a wave of trolls across the internet.
Bound to happen. It was mentioned in the Bible. Somewhere in Revelations I think.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 04-02-2017, 02:10 PM   #4984
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
oilers don't have a powerhouse team. They have one powerhouse player and a pretty good goalie. After that it's still mostly over rated crap.

To be fair, the have one powerhouse line, directly as a result of a powerhouse player. But Maroon and Draisaitl are quickly making Charelli's cap situation much more difficult. I think if you really zero in on that one line and can limit them somewhat, they are definitely beatable. The 3M line is elite defensively, I think they would do a good job shutting down McD and his cronies. This is not the same team in mindset/confidence/systems play that played the Oilers earlier this year. They have a great top line but little secondary scoring, terrible defensive depth and a solid goalie who's being overworked. They are beatable by pretty much any Western team the will face in the first round.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:17 PM   #4985
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. But we don't need a thread dedicated to Calgary because we are jealous of their averageness. I'd rather suck for 10 years and have a powerful team than 'do ok' like Calgary does every year.
Powerful team? LOL what is everyone smoking in mulletville? Win 3 cups in 5 years like the Blackhawks and then maybe you can call the Oilers a powerhouse. Flames weren't gifted any picks they actually had to draft players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Canuck-Hater For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #4986
tsquared1967
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
To be fair, the have one powerhouse line, directly as a result of a powerhouse player. But Maroon and Draisaitl are quickly making Charelli's cap situation much more difficult. I think if you really zero in on that one line and can limit them somewhat, they are definitely beatable. The 3M line is elite defensively, I think they would do a good job shutting down McD and his cronies. This is not the same team in mindset/confidence/systems play that played the Oilers earlier this year. They have a great top line but little secondary scoring, terrible defensive depth and a solid goalie who's being overworked. They are beatable by pretty much any Western team the will face in the first round.
Cap will take a hit this summer when Draisaitl get $6.5 million AAV. Then McDavid will cost $10.5 million AAV after next year. They will need someone to step up and take a contract (Eberle or Nugent-Hopkins to be traded).
Old 04-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #4987
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterJoji View Post
They have a great top line but little secondary scoring, terrible defensive depth and a solid goalie who's being overworked. They are beatable by pretty much any Western team the will face in the first round.
Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if McDoofus still gets special treatment from the officials once the playoffs start. Pretty sure that any team facing them in round 1 is probably thinking about how to possibly counter that, knowing that they might very likely get ridiculous phantom calls going against them in the late stages of a game, particularly when the Oilers are trailing.

The officiating is the only thing that would worry me about playing Edmonton. That top line is definitely good, but if you can shadow Mcdavid and limit his chances, you'll probably win that series in 6 games or less.
The Following User Says Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #4988
AlbertaOiler72
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
The oilers have been really easy to laugh at for a long time now.

10 years and no playoffs?
29 years between 42 or more wins in a season?
4 1st overalls in 6 years?
Eakins, MacTavish and Lowe?
Tier 2 fans?
The debacle of monumental proportions?

You could go on forever. This is the 4th version of this thread FFS, and the first one lay dormant for over half a decade.

That's as funny as it gets in the sports world. Funny and pathetic.
member when the Oilers sucked? I member

but thats in the past

no one cares that the Pens were awful and picked top 2 in 4 straight drafts
no one cares that the Hawks stunk under Dollar Bill Wirtz and missed the playoffs in 9 of 10 years
Quote:
That ties directly to the fact that until this season they hadn't won more than half their games in any single season since 87/88

29 years

It's really quite unbelievable when you think about it. That any sports franchise could be so utterly pathetic.
the Oilers have won 2 Cups since 88...you have an odd definition of "pathetic"

Last edited by AlbertaOiler72; 04-02-2017 at 02:35 PM.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:31 PM   #4989
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
Agreed. It'll be interesting to see if McDoofus still gets special treatment from the officials once the playoffs start. Pretty sure that any team facing them in round 1 is probably thinking about how to possibly counter that, knowing that they might very likely get ridiculous phantom calls going against them in the late stages of a game, particularly when the Oilers are trailing.

The officiating is the only thing that would worry me about playing Edmonton. That top line is definitely good, but if you can shadow Mcdavid and limit his chances, you'll probably win that series in 6 games or less.
Not sure how much you can limit McDavid's line. To beat them, your 4 lines combined just have to outscore his.
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 02:37 PM   #4990
Fozzie_DeBear
Wucka Wocka Wacka

Exp:

Quote:
Hahhahahah

Your powerhouse team and the ok team have the same number of wins...dumbass.

"It was a debacle of monumental proportions." -MacT
Old 04-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #4991
JiriHrdina
I believe in the Pony Power

Exp:

Quote:
I always find it amusing when people talk about not needing a thread like this.
This thread, and previous iterations of it, was allowed in part because it helped to concentrate more of this type of talk into one place. Prior to these threads, the Oiler/Flames bickering would end up de-railing countless threads. This put more of it in a single place.

More than that though, I would wager that everyone participating (except for ironically a lot of Oiler fans) understand what this thread is - a place to have a little fun at the expense of our #1 rival.

We have a lot of regular Oiler fans who choose to be regular participants. Then we have ones like you - who only come and participate when it suits their needs. When their team is winning. And then the contribution amounts to "boy you guys sure are pathetic needing a thread like this".

What's more sad? Having a thread like this, or someone choosing to spend their time to post in a forum, that they otherwise don't, just to say something like that?

But it is a rivalry, and if that is how you choose to express yourself as part of the rivalry - fill your boots

Just don't look down your nose at other fans and pretend that somehow you are above the fray.

You ain't.

And in fact your selective participation in that fray only proves that you don't have the stones to be a part of it when things ain't going your way.

Smuggy smug smug.
Old 04-02-2017, 02:55 PM   #4992
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertaOiler72 View Post

but thats in the past

no one cares that the Hawks stunk under Dollar Bill Wirtz and missed the playoffs in 9 of 10 years

Member when the draft rules were altered because they Oilers marginalized players.

I member.

Member when you were pathetic enough to come to a Flames website to repeatedly act like a self evident loser?

I member.
The Following User Says Thank You to Boreal For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 03:01 PM   #4993
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiriHrdina View Post
I always find it amusing when people talk about not needing a thread like this.
This thread, and previous iterations of it, was allowed in part because it helped to concentrate more of this type of talk into one place. Prior to these threads, the Oiler/Flames bickering would end up de-railing countless threads. This put more of it in a single place.

More than that though, I would wager that everyone participating (except for ironically a lot of Oiler fans) understand what this thread is - a place to have a little fun at the expense of our #1 rival.

We have a lot of regular Oiler fans who choose to be regular participants. Then we have ones like you - who only come and participate when it suits their needs. When their team is winning. And then the contribution amounts to "boy you guys sure are pathetic needing a thread like this".

What's more sad? Having a thread like this, or someone choosing to spend their time to post in a forum, that they otherwise don't, just to say something like that?

But it is a rivalry, and if that is how you choose to express yourself as part of the rivalry - fill your boots

Just don't look down your nose at other fans and pretend that somehow you are above the fray.

You ain't.

And in fact your selective participation in that fray only proves that you don't have the stones to be a part of it when things ain't going your way.

Smuggy smug smug.
Well said, but I'd like to emphasize this thread is about celebrating Edmonton's "No Goodness" on so many levels. It's not really necessary to be discussing or comparing the Flames' performance here - we have the whole rest of this website to do that.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:28 PM   #4994
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

but thats in the past
So does that mean you'll finally shut up about the glorious 80's? That's in the past too.

Quote:

Big big difference. Well most importantly, no other teams fan base has the false air of superiority that you guys seem to exude. The lack of self-awareness in amazing. But also, both those teams, especially the 'Hawks, were well built beyond their top 5 picks. Keith, Seabrook, Ladd, Campbell, Versteeg, Saad, Hjarmalsson, Niemi/Crawford, Sharp are all much better than Eberle, Letestu, Pouliot, Kassian, Nurse, Caggulia, Hendricks, Russell etc.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:32 PM   #4995
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

only thing worse than seeing the media fellatio McDavid is Oiler fans being smug about being in the lottery, what, 8 years in a row?!

The pathetic BOT and the NHL were too stupid to substantially alter the draft rules after the Oilers won 3 #1s, hence we are left with this.

i guarantee that no one in the eastern conference was happy about the Penguins tanking year after year either..Like, Philly fans were throwing parades following the Penguins drafting of Crosby...smh

but since the NHL is too Gdamn stupid to prevent it, we are stuck with incompetent organizations that rely on NHL Welfare cheques to turn them around.

case in point
Old 04-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #4996
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
oilers don't have a powerhouse team. They have one powerhouse player and a pretty good goalie. After that it's still mostly over rated crap.
It would be interesting to see what exactly would unfold for McDavid and "his team" if Talbot went down with a groin injury.

I'm guessing a slurry of no-goal calls against the opposition until McSaviour scores them out of the hole.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:29 PM   #4997
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I deeply enjoyed the Last few years of Oilier futility. Nothing can take that away from me. The last ten years will be something I will always look back on fondly.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 04:34 PM   #4998
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saXon View Post
It would be interesting to see what exactly would unfold for McDavid and "his team" if Talbot went down with a groin injury.

I'm guessing a slurry of no-goal calls against the opposition until McSaviour scores them out of the hole.
Well, if you took away any playoff team's starting goalie, the team would suffer. There are only 2 of them. However if you took away another teams best skater, you have 17 other players to try and make-up for it. Take away McDavid and that team is lottery bound. Take away Johnny (already happened this year) or Gio (the year prior) and the team still stayed afloat because of DEPTH. This is why the M.O. for whoever they face will be to shadow McPrincess and hit him at every opportunity.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 PM   #4999
BigRed
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

"Powerful team."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #5000
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

but thats in the past

Do us and yourself a favour and stop equating the Oilers decade with the black hawks or penguins. If they were in the record books for awfulness, then guess what, we would remember, and I'd point that out often. Just so happens, the oilers are! Another reason to stop comparing yourselves to them is that the oilers are not yet relevant as contenders and it is a bad look to think this is simply a given.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread