Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Leagues and Games > Calgarypuck Hockey League
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2020, 06:59 PM   #361
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

We won’t process any deals for any pending ufas. They must be signed by the team, with enough cap, and then they can be dealt
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #362
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yup the issue I can see with trading pending UFAs is if a trade is processed.... and then it turns out the team with the UFA player can't afford to sign him after all. That opens up a big cascade of negative possibilities

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #363
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

74 OV Jake Muzzin
71 OV Vladislav Namestnikov LW/C/RW
71 OV Cam Atkinson RW

Buffalo needs cap help.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 07:10 PM   #364
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now we're back to teams getting anything they can get for their UFA's rather then letting them walk for nothing and stripping the UFA batches

Opens the door for side deals so teams can have assets sitting on other teams while bidding on RFA.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:35 PM   #365
Goffie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams must have cap space to sign UFAs. They sign them and then. They are able to trade them. They can’t be traded if the team that owns that doesn’t have the cap space. To sign them first.

The rule was made to prevent cash strapped stacked teams from gaining assets for players they can’t afford to keep. It forces those teams to either ship out RFAs to make room to sign the UFAs or letting the UFAs walk for free.

Goffie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goffie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 07:43 PM   #366
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup exactly
Teams have signed ufas and traded them in past seasons.
Old 06-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #367
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

So who do you think are these teams that will be trading for these UFA's that can't be traded, but will be traded, but just not processed.

No one is saying OV can't be signed and then all of a sudden traded, but this blatant month before the time. it opens a huge door that will now be exploited by the rich. Try and consider the larger picture for the league
Old 06-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #368
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Yup exactly
Teams have signed ufas and traded them in past seasons.
Yes but advertising MONTH before hand, thats what I'm talking about. can you not look at the bigger picture
Old 06-07-2020, 08:04 PM   #369
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is how I see it:

I get the rules for this but see ways of exposing it.
The grey area is when you have no intentions of signing a UFA but list him as available anyway.

For example:

My only UFA was Holtby, so let's use him as the example.

I should not have been allowed to post Holtby on the block if I had not intention in signing him. If I did post him on the block but didn't get offers I wanted, I could have then been able to decide to not sign him to a UFA grid and let him go into the batches. If I got a sweet offer for him, I would then sign and flip him after he was signed.

I know there was a rule made or discussed before I came into the league saying you could not trade UFA rights but I think the above example is a way to circumvent that rule.

A quick fix, for this issue at least:

If you've not released a pending UFA and instead posted that UFA on the trade block, saying he was available after being re-signed, that shows intent to resign him and you should be forced to then resign him.
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JonDuke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 08:05 PM   #370
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll jump in. If UFA's aren't getting processed until at least after July 3rd, then I am not doing a side deal for a UFA whether to trade for or trade out.

Doing a side deal now means I can't do anything with those assets I've agreed to move and I have to just wait.

If some GMs want to have discussions in advance, and come post-July 3rd those teams still have the assets and want to make the trade, then I think it's fine.

But personally I don't think it is the best use of time...too much could change.

Last edited by simmer2; 06-07-2020 at 08:11 PM.
simmer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #371
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanna Sniper View Post
So who do you think are these teams that will be trading for these UFA's that can't be traded, but will be traded, but just not processed.

No one is saying OV can't be signed and then all of a sudden traded, but this blatant month before the time. it opens a huge door that will now be exploited by the rich. Try and consider the larger picture for the league
They can’t be submitted at all. Any will be rejected
Old 06-07-2020, 08:17 PM   #372
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If we can sign a player if we have the cap space, the signing won’t be processed? And if that signing is processed, why can’t the player be traded?

I honestly think this really ####s up everything for the Lightning. I’m getting heavily screwed by a contract I didn’t sign (Byfuglien) and honestly makes this season a wash, and I can’t get assets for people who I possess either.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2020, 08:20 PM   #373
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let me clarify
Any trade involving a pending ufa will be rejected
Once the player is resigned, meaning the team with his rights has the cap space to do so, that player can be traded after they are re-signed
But teams must submit all their ufas at once and have enough space to sign any they want to. You can’t sign a guy, trade him then use that new cap to sign another.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:39 PM   #374
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

To clarify further, the intent of the rule was to prevent teams with pending UFAs, that they couldn't afford to re-sign, from trading those rights for whatever they could get. Moreover, the idea was that GMs would now have to make tough decisions, such as trading other players for less return (which is what Cap did in his case) so they had space to sign their UFAs, or not signing guys.
And the system has worked pretty well in that regard. Anything we do has to be enforceable. We can say that pending UFAs cannot be put on the block, but we can't control what GMs discuss between each other.
I have no personal skin in this game. I have no pending UFAs and rarely do, so my view is, as it always is, the larger picture for the league.

So to re-cap
- Teams must have cap to re-sign their pending UFAs, or let them go
- We will require them to be submitted in batches, meaning you have to decide at one time which UFAs you are signing and which you aren't. You must have cap for all that you are signing
- Any trade submitted to the league, prior to UFA re-signing, involving a pending UFA will be rejected.
- What a team chooses to do with their player once they are re-signed is up to them
Old 06-07-2020, 08:40 PM   #375
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know that’s not what I’m saying, right?
Old 06-07-2020, 08:46 PM   #376
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You know that’s not what I’m saying, right?
I understand your point. Hopefully my post clarifies things. Nothing has changed in terms of the rule or how we are applying it. The concept of sign and trade has been out there for years and GMs have been posting on their trade blocks in past off-seasons saying the same thing

"Originally Posted by Goffie View Post
Pens block
Rinne - sign and trade
Lucic - sign and trade"

"Kyle Brodziak
Brad Boyes
Mark Fayne
Jack Johnson (sign and trade or trade and sign)"

"Sign and trade:
Jonathan Quick
Jason Spezza"

These were posted in May of that off-season. Though worth noting the Jack Johnson was an RFA so less applicable I guess.
Old 06-07-2020, 08:50 PM   #377
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here was an earlier thread about it to. It comes up every year and we say the same thing. Trades involving pending UFAs will be rejected until they are re-signed by their teams.

"Originally Posted by JonDuke View Post
Couple of questions:
Are roster/salary rules out the window from now until rollover?

If I sign a UFA (not in database) right now, for 3 years, does this 2016-17 count as the first year or should I wait until after rollover if I want the full 3?
Is the cheese rule in effect right now?

What's the deal with sign and trade being so popular this year? I know it's not that same as trading a players rights, but it basically is the same thing.
Roster/Salary cap are all off during the off-season until just before the regular season is ready to start.

If you sign a UFA now 2016/2017 will indeed count as the first year. You can wait but you risk someone else signing that player

The Cheese rule is always active but there's no point in trading 2016/2017 cap. As always, you can't exceed cheese for 2017/2018 either.

I dono't know why there is all this talk about sign and trades but there hasn't actually been an attempted deal yet. Any sign and trades would be rejected though until that UFA has been signed by their current team."
Old 06-07-2020, 08:54 PM   #378
Hanna Sniper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I understand your point.
So repeating the same thing to me was just ignoring it and a show for others then?

if you don't see an issue with me advertising Kuemper on the block, trading Bumface to the Flyers for 3.5M so I can "wink wink" sign Kuemper and then trade once it's processed trade him to Flyers

This is what the league is backing and wants

I guess, since we have always had shady deals then why stop it. Last thing we want to do is follow the rules
Old 06-07-2020, 09:06 PM   #379
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

...but they are following the rules. They are required to have enough cap to sign their UFA. After that, they are totally free to do whatever they want with that player.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #380
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So repeating the same thing to me was just ignoring it and a show for others then?

if you don't see an issue with me advertising Kuemper on the block, trading Bumface to the Flyers for 3.5M so I can "wink wink" sign Kuemper and then trade once it's processed trade him to Flyers

This is what the league is backing and wants

I guess, since we have always had shady deals then why stop it. Last thing we want to do is follow the rules
Doug I don’t know why you have an issue with me. I am just explaining how the league is applying the rule which hasn’t changed. It has nothing to do with you. I’m just making sure it’s clear to all.

And I don’t know what shady deals you are referring to.

But I’ve had enough of having my integrity questioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post: