Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-10-2009, 10:18 AM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Interior Designers/Renovators

Has anyone worked with a local interior designer in the past?

We're moving into a 1950's era bungalow that needs some updating work in the kitchen and bathroom upstairs as a minimum, but would like an experienced eye to assist in the initial design and consequent project management to help keep the costs reasonable and quality up.

I'm a big time DIY guy, but will be under severe time constraints in the next year and just won't be able to take on another big project on my own and expect good results.

Any references and/or tales of experiences with this industry would be great!
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 AM   #2
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just curious but why don't you just go with a contractor with your own design or are you considering changing layout/structure as well? Most kitchen/bathroom contractors will have designers also.

If you're forking out what appears to be a significant amount of cash for a bathroom and kitchen reno then I can't recommend enough investing in Mike Holmes "Make it Right" book.

Full of tips on choosing a contractor with red flags that you should walk away from, what to include in a contract, schedule of work, payment structure, etc.

Only thing I would really suggest is that if you find a contractor that you trust make sure that is him doing the work and he's not subbing out.
Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spend time and find a good contractor, or even a reputable renovations company. A lot of them have in house designers or a design firm they usually deal with.
Ducay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:40 AM   #4
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks for the tips on the book.

Basically, I'd like to introduce a designer because we're both hopeless with design and there is a chance that we will change the layout/structure.

I'm also assuming that working through these people, we might be able to get a bit of a discount on furnishing/material as busy tradespeople get preferred rates/volume discounts with their suppliers.

I'll grab that book for sure, though!
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 10:59 AM   #5
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

PM CagedGreat. I think he is in his final year to get his B.I.D.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 12:22 PM   #6
Gundo
First Line Centre

Exp:

My friend has her own Interior Design company PM me if your interested and Ill give you her info.
Gundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:09 PM   #7
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Have an idea of what YOU want before you get into the renovating. Yeah, a lot of contractors have their own interior designers, but a lot of them have THEIR OWN ideas of how things should look when completed. Go through some show homes where the builder uses the same designer, they all look the same, pretty generic in a lot of cases.

The trick is to find one who is open to suggestions and ideas that you want to incorporate. Those type of designers are worth their weight in gold. They can save a lot of legwork and running around on your behalf. And some of the stuff they can access, the general public cant.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:26 PM   #8
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGeeWhy View Post
Basically, I'd like to introduce a designer because we're both hopeless with design and there is a chance that we will change the layout/structure
Depending on the extent of what you are doing you might require more than a designer. I don't work much with houses so you'll want to double check my information. But if I recall correctly, if you are ripping down walls you'll need a building permit. Depending on the extent you may need to hire a Architect or a Architectural Technologist. If you are touching the structure (beams, load bearing walls, etc) you'll probably need an engineers drawing. I have no idea what Interior Designers are allowed to do in that sense, but it's something you should look at.

I would take a look through the cities site regarding building permits.
http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....ng+Permits.htm
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:20 PM   #9
mots
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We've dealt with Paul Lavoie ( http://www.paullavoieinteriordesign.com/), which has been great.

A couple other top calgary designers are Corea Sortopa design or Douglas Crickland.

If you are dealing with someone that is good at what they do, you tell them what you like and would like to see, and they will put it together.

And the reason most show homes look the same, is because most home builders take on a very safe approach to design in order to appeal to the greatest range of audience.
mots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:26 PM   #10
CGYTransplant
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They won't help with Interior design (curtains, carpeting, etc), but I reno-ed my kitchen (NEVER. AGAIN. It's been a year and a half, and I still can't see Pizza without gagging, I ate so much of it during the reno) with Eiffel Developments in late 2007. They have a designer on staff who will help with layouts/moving walls etc, and they provide all the trades, permits and inspections. If I needed help picking things (hardware, faucets, etc), my customer service rep could accompany me to the suppliers to help with choices.
CGYTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
home renovation , interior design