Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2020, 06:20 PM   #1761
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Time to bump this thread...

A while ago in this thread I posted some photos my Grandfather took of Calgary years ago. He was an avid photographer and did a wonderful job capturing the changes Calgary underwent over the years.

Here's some more photos, see what you can recognize. Apologies if I already posted some, too lazy to cross-reference.

I also found a couple folders of old Vancouver/BC photos if anyone is interested in seeing those.

Spoiler!

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-06-2020 at 06:29 PM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:23 PM   #1762
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Awesome, though you definitely have posted the last one before...
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 06:25 PM   #1763
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I miss the nightly balloon races during Stampede.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:29 PM   #1764
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #1765
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Spent the weekend in Calgary. The city is looking terrific. Hit all my spots; Lina's, Jimmy's A&A, Peters and Glamorgan Bakery to name a few. Absolutely loved the new library.

Anyways I miss Calgary all the time, and it was really nice to spend time in my hometown for a few days.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2020, 06:42 PM   #1766
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

I previously posted a few photos of the erection of the Calgary Tower. But here is the full set of photos he took.

Spoiler!

I don't know what photos 4 & 5 are. Doesn't look like the CT, but it's in his CT folder.
Old 02-06-2020, 09:52 PM   #1767
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I previously posted a few photos of the erection of the Calgary Tower. But here is the full set of photos he took.

I don't know what photos 4 & 5 are. Doesn't look like the CT, but it's in his CT folder.
very cool, but the erected the Husky Tower and later changed it to the Calgary Tower.
yes, I'm being "that guy".
Old 02-07-2020, 08:23 AM   #1768
RogerWilco
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Time to bump this thread...

A while ago in this thread I posted some photos my Grandfather took of Calgary years ago. He was an avid photographer and did a wonderful job capturing the changes Calgary underwent over the years.

Here's some more photos, see what you can recognize. Apologies if I already posted some, too lazy to cross-reference.

I also found a couple folders of old Vancouver/BC photos if anyone is interested in seeing those.

Spoiler!
Love that last picture, I remember when the skies were full of hot air balloons on the weekends!!
RogerWilco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM   #1769
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
very cool, but the erected the Husky Tower and later changed it to the Calgary Tower.
yes, I'm being "that guy".
You are correct, but only if you call it the Calgary Tower now. So many geriatric, resistant to change Calgarians are like "I still call it the Husky Tower. I can't bring myself to call it the Calgary Tower."

It was the Husky Tower for only 3 years of its life, grandpa. And it has NOT been the Husky Tower for 49 years since.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 08:51 AM   #1770
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would love to be able to visit pre-boom and pre-me Calgary in the 1970s. While I genuinely love Calgary in the present day, Calgary of the early to mid-seventies would have been a fascinating place in hindsight. Dusty old frontier town with a lot of its old buildings intact, right on the cusp of the first oil boom. The decade between say 1974 to 1984 would've been wild to witness first hand, although admittedly kind of depressing because I think we lost some great buildings.

These photos are great, Huntingwhale. I am guessing that many were taken on slides because they've really got a crispness and vividness to them. Thanks for posting them.
Jimmy Stang is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 12:32 PM   #1771
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
I would love to be able to visit pre-boom and pre-me Calgary in the 1970s. While I genuinely love Calgary in the present day, Calgary of the early to mid-seventies would have been a fascinating place in hindsight. Dusty old frontier town with a lot of its old buildings intact, right on the cusp of the first oil boom. The decade between say 1974 to 1984 would've been wild to witness first hand, although admittedly kind of depressing because I think we lost some great buildings.

These photos are great, Huntingwhale. I am guessing that many were taken on slides because they've really got a crispness and vividness to them. Thanks for posting them.
Good eye. They actually originally were all on slides. After he passed away my uncle had a company convert them all to digital format.
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2020, 02:45 PM   #1772
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

The brick smoke stack, the adjacent 9-10 storey high elevator shaft, and the partially demolished old sandstone buildings at the base have me wondering if this was the major renovation/reconstruction of the General Hospital in Bridgeland. It would have been around 1950 - does that fit with the era he took these photos?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 03:37 PM   #1773
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the pictures, my dad always used to tell stories about the Husky () Tower erection. According to him, it was a continuous pour with the slip form being jacked up and narrowed as they went. He said there was a huge line up of concrete trucks lined up on 9th for days.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 06:21 PM   #1774
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
The brick smoke stack, the adjacent 9-10 storey high elevator shaft, and the partially demolished old sandstone buildings at the base have me wondering if this was the major renovation/reconstruction of the General Hospital in Bridgeland. It would have been around 1950 - does that fit with the era he took these photos?
I don't think so. I think it's the smokestack you can see to the east of the Tower in photo 3, behind what is now the Mustard Seed. If you zoom in on the 4th photo, you can see the sign on top of the Stop sign says "10 AV".

I believe the elevator shaft is part of the Palliser Square Parkade. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can see the elevator shaft in the final photo, but it has the parkade built around it, so it doesn't stand out as much.

This photo shows the smokestack still in place with the Tower nearly complete. It's right where the parkade is now.

I'd guess the workers are taking the smokestack down, one brick at a time.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:32 PM   #1775
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I don't think so. I think it's the smokestack you can see to the east of the Tower in photo 3, behind what is now the Mustard Seed. If you zoom in on the 4th photo, you can see the sign on top of the Stop sign says "10 AV".

I believe the elevator shaft is part of the Palliser Square Parkade. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can see the elevator shaft in the final photo, but it has the parkade built around it, so it doesn't stand out as much.

This photo shows the smokestack still in place with the Tower nearly complete. It's right where the parkade is now.

I'd guess the workers are taking the smokestack down, one brick at a time.
I think that's exactly it. Never noticed the smoke stack in photo 3 but that seems to be it.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:38 PM   #1776
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
You are correct, but only if you call it the Calgary Tower now. So many geriatric, resistant to change Calgarians are like "I still call it the Husky Tower. I can't bring myself to call it the Calgary Tower."

It was the Husky Tower for only 3 years of its life, grandpa. And it has NOT been the Husky Tower for 49 years since.
I guess I should have used green text.
Old 02-07-2020, 06:57 PM   #1777
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 02-08-2020, 10:49 AM   #1778
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
I think hes implying that modern concrete workers are a bunch of babies.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 01:44 PM   #1779
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Stumbled onto this site and didn't know where else to put it

https://maps.calgary.ca/CalgaryImagery/

Currently house hunting and I was annoyed at not being able to see some newer houses on Google maps because the satellite imagery is too old. That site has a full satellite map of Calgary from 2019 and almost all years back to the 90's. It even has aerial maps from the 70's, 40's, and 20's. Ended up wasting a good hour just playing with the layers seeing how the city has changed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2020, 01:53 PM   #1780
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really miss being able to travel within our city without seeing trash everywhere.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GrrlGoalie33 For This Useful Post:

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time