Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-31-2019, 08:24 PM   #1521
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yes, the Northland Walmart was one that was converted from a Woolco back in 1994.
Turned into a Walmart soon after the roof collapsed after heavy rain, iirc
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 08:30 PM   #1522
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I pumped gas at the Woodwards gas station at Chinook one summer in the mid 70's. Peddled from Vistaheights on my ten speed.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keratosis For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2019, 10:12 PM   #1523
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I remember when there was a channel that was just typed white text on a red background, it was news stories. There was a blue band at the top that did either sports scores or weather. And a green band at the bottom that did the other.
If there was nothing good on the other 3 channels thats what you watched.
I watched a lot of that channel actually! For some reason, my mom would leave the TV on it before bed every night. I had a paper route, and would wake up, do my papers and then get home and read the news there a lot of days.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 10:20 PM   #1524
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

The old Channel 2, Channel! My grandparents would always play that, so it was a staple. Plus, in our family room it was the only way to get music. So, I remember listening to Christmas carols through the channel while setting up the Christmas tree. A lot less in your face from the stuff you see on cable news these days.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:35 AM   #1525
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Bonus is, that's the channel that played the bluevie movie after midnight on Friday.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 06:42 AM   #1526
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Speaking of channels, remember when the north part of the city had completely different channel numbers than the south?

I believe it was because Shaw and Rogers split the territory. But it wasn’t like Shaw/Telus now - you didn’t have a choice and it was purely north/south.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 06:53 AM   #1527
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Yes, the Northland Walmart was one that was converted from a Woolco back in 1994.

I worked at that store in 1981. lol

Favourite part was when we started selling Budgies. Periodically one would get out and at the end f the night we had to hunt them down.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #1528
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I remember when there was a channel that was just typed white text on a red background, it was news stories. There was a blue band at the top that did either sports scores or weather. And a green band at the bottom that did the other.
Before the internet and 24/7 cable news, that was the most reliable way to get breaking news and weather. My journalism instructor used to moonlight writing those news summaries.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 08:57 AM   #1529
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
OMG. My brain has just been transplanted 30+ years.

Yup, good ol' channel 4, with the time and the weather. Heck, I probably learned how to read by watching that channel.

No weather app, no website. If you wanted to know the weather, check channel 4!
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:05 AM   #1530
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Canmore it was channel 10. I remember after every snow fall we'd gather round y'onder TV, and wait with anticipation for the school closure notices. Exshaw was always the first to go. You'd see Banff cancelled, and get excited, then have your heart broken every time when Canmore was open. I'm sure our principal had some principle about cancelling, I think it happened once in 12 years.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:14 AM   #1531
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
OMG. My brain has just been transplanted 30+ years.

Yup, good ol' channel 4, with the time and the weather. Heck, I probably learned how to read by watching that channel.

No weather app, no website. If you wanted to know the weather, check channel 4!
I used to pretend I was a sports or news broadcaster by reading that channel. It was actually a pretty effective way to practice!
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:15 AM   #1532
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I remember thinking my grandmother was crazy because she'd actually sit and watch that channel. Why the hell didn't she want to watch cartoons instead?

I remember in the late 80s before going out for the day, I'd call that 263-3333 line and get the info. I can still kind of recall the voice, tempo, and order. The time is...9:15. Temperature minus 13. The Calgary weather, flurries today, high near minus 4. Flurries tonight, low near minus 16... Can't remember the last thing she'd say, but that lady gave me a lot of info for a few years.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 09:29 AM   #1533
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I remember thinking my grandmother was crazy because she'd actually sit and watch that channel. Why the hell didn't she want to watch cartoons instead?

I remember in the late 80s before going out for the day, I'd call that 263-3333 line and get the info. I can still kind of recall the voice, tempo, and order.The time is...9:15. Temperature minus 13. The Calgary weather, flurries today, high near minus 4. Flurries tonight, low near minus 16 ... Can't remember the last thing she'd say, but that lady gave me a lot of info for a few years.
Lol -- I just read that in my head in the exact same voice and tempo -- it must be seared into my brain after all these years.

I don't remember what she said after that -- either it was just a click or I just hung up the phone at that point.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #1534
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

remember the exciting Kingo Bingo with Don Wood, I believe as the caller. that was exciting TV
dirk diggler is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirk diggler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 12:58 PM   #1535
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
remember the exciting Kingo Bingo with Don Wood, I believe as the caller. that was exciting TV

troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 01:47 PM   #1536
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

I remember in the late 80s before going out for the day, I'd call that 263-3333 line and get the info. I can still kind of recall the voice, tempo, and order. The time is...9:15. Temperature minus 13. The Calgary weather, flurries today, high near minus 4. Flurries tonight, low near minus 16... Can't remember the last thing she'd say, but that lady gave me a lot of info for a few years.
In Ft McMurray it was 743-1555.

The time is..... 7:45. Temperature -37....
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2019, 02:18 PM   #1537
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

And then we had Talking Yellow Pages. The Yellow Pages had that directory of 4-digit codes where you could listen to things like weather, news, sports scores, horoscopes, and other mundane things. In my pre-internet youth I thought that was so modern and current and on-demand.

And speaking of phone books - it seems unfathomable that every year every single phone subscriber would get two giant books too look up individuals and businesses, but there was obviously no better way at the time.

And the resulting trend of AAA Aardvark business names by small business owners thought they were so clever, and I guess they kind of were because people are too impatient to look past the first few entries.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 02:57 PM   #1538
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

How weird was Kingo Bingo?? I'm sure everyone's grandparents had those weird ink blotter things. haha
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:26 PM   #1539
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
And speaking of phone books - it seems unfathomable that every year every single phone subscriber would get two giant books too look up individuals and businesses, but there was obviously no better way at the time.
I remember when I was a kid, my buddy and I would look up Flames players in the phone book. Sometimes you know you found the right guy if his name is unique (say, P Rautakallio). But we would also be pretty sure we found the right guy if the name only began appearing in the phone book after the player joined the Flames.

I don't remember all the players we found and where they lived but I do remember we found Paul Reinhart's phone number and his residence in Inglewood.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:25 PM   #1540
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

The other channels with text was the Civic channel, channel 15. It was a bit more advanced. It would show city council live and replays, but besides that it would be info related to city services. The screen and any pictures had polygons and was rendered for 5 or so seconds before being able to read it all. I think they also had realtor and real estate advertising on it too. Again, the screen and text took a few seconds to load.

And of course around 1992, Sportsscope Channel 30. When it was just text. Replaced the Calgary Herald Talkoes in getting semi real time sports scores to keep track of Sports select tickets. A few years later turned into Headline Sports, then the Score.

Also, the ethnic channel higher up. From Bollywood movies interrupted by commercials for ethnic grocery stores in Toronto. I would watch it every Wed for Italian soccer league highlights, in Italian. And again, then came commercials. For Italian Realtors and restaurants in Toronto.

Speaking of soccer, PBS on Friday or Saturday nights had German Professional Soccer" which was totally random.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time