Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-28-2019, 11:03 AM   #1481
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouw N Arrow View Post
What's the name of that incredible cookie place in Chinook mall??
Cookies by George?

Quote:
New York Fries still a thing? A guy in Gilbert who used to run a franchise opened up a Poutine shop near my house.

Made me so happy

yip

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 11:04 AM   #1482
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.cookiesbygeorge.com

I remember when they first opened up in Chinook, they actually sold your cookie by weight. Reverse Almond Chocolate Chunk FTW.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:10 PM   #1483
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

I remember when they first opened up in Chinook, they actually sold your cookie by weight. Reverse Almond Chocolate Chunk FTW.
Oh hellll yeah
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 PM   #1484
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

NYF has a burger spinoff that's pretty good - South Street Burgers.
Old 01-28-2019, 01:46 PM   #1485
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Haha, glad to hear I'm not the only one who played Ball Hockey in Zellers before it was torn down. I remember that parking lot being an absolute wasteland every day walking back from school the final 3 years of it's life. Straight out of a Zombie flick

I'm pretty young, so there's not much I miss about "Old Calgary", but the Farmer's Market at Currie barracks is definitely one of them. The guy who sold Elk jerky there probably retired off my hockey team.

I grew up on Hunterburn Hill, directly adjacent to Nose Hill park, so I also remember when I was young how much Wildlife would come down all the time, my mother basically gave up on growing any flowers until I got older and helped take care of the garden. You'd hear the fawns at 3am picking at the Dahlia's every summer, my Cat use to chase them off quite frequently , they generally just got a scare, any daring rabbits would be found strewn about the lawn. Nose Hill feels a lot less wild these days :/
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 01:58 PM   #1486
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

The one big one for me and its been mentioned a bunch of times already was Wizards castle @ North Hill mall, as well as the theatre/bowling alley and the daycare attached to the bowling alley (downstairs, bowling was upstairs) that I attended as a kid!

I still remember getting a haircut at the old school barber shop across from Wizards castle in the old chairs where it was all old guys cutting hair. Then getting a dollar worth of quarters to go play a few games from the parents, it was a blast
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #1487
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

That arcade had some tough SFII players frequenting it.
Old 01-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #1488
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Hillhurst Flea Market Lebanese food/meat pie vendor.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:22 PM   #1489
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
H
I'm pretty young, so there's not much I miss about "Old Calgary", but the Farmer's Market at Currie barracks is definitely one of them.
The idea that the Currie Barracks Farmer's Market might be considered old Calgary makes me feel ancient.

I'll just add: I miss when Curry Barracks was an actual barracks, and Crowchild was lined with those trim little houses that the soldiers and their families lived in.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 01-28-2019, 03:44 PM   #1490
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bs&Cs View Post
When it comes to animal welfare, I appreciate the steps that Calgary Zoo has taken in the areas of conservation and their off site activities with whooping cranes, burrowing owls etc are admirable but they still has massive issues with zoo layout, ie cougars, bears and wolves in eyeshot of moose and deer, ditto for lions and zebras. These issues were raised during the last renovations and not addressed, so I'm not sure how much better off most of the animals are off now besides maybe a modest upgrade in living space and a few extra woodchips. I remember the abject misery that that last polar bear seemed to be in before it died. I don't object to animals being moved on if thats whats deemed appropriate

By the end of that store's existence, it was the saddest place in town.
For some reason I vividly remember an exhibit that had a glass case with all the confiscated items from delinquent kids that tortured the animals. Had like slingshot, blow darts, and some other nasty stuff. Would have been 1980's time frame. The display was there to tell you to please not shoot the animals with this stuff.

Kind of sad to think that used to happen enough they had to show the confiscated weapons. Hopefully people would slap any kid up the head doing that these days.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 09:41 PM   #1491
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
The one big one for me and its been mentioned a bunch of times already was Wizards castle @ North Hill mall, as well as the theatre/bowling alley and the daycare attached to the bowling alley (downstairs, bowling was upstairs) that I attended as a kid!

I still remember getting a haircut at the old school barber shop across from Wizards castle in the old chairs where it was all old guys cutting hair. Then getting a dollar worth of quarters to go play a few games from the parents, it was a blast
I went to Branton Jr. High, we used to head to North Hill and hit the arcade at lunchtime.

You were 100% guaranteed to be late getting back, but it was worth it about once every month or so.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #1492
Inglewood Jack
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post

what about Cookie Corral at Sunridge Mall? between that and Wizard's Castle, that stretched my allowance to the limit. they also had some almond-based cookie that tastes far better in my memory than it probably ever did in real life.
Inglewood Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 10:33 PM   #1493
Roast Beef
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I do miss that old Zellers/IGA building near Diefenbaker, I spent a ton of time there in the late 80's early 90's when I was in Jr High/High School. It just doesn't look the same with the Superstore there.

I miss arcade games being pretty much everywhere. I remember when you could always find an arcade game or two in convenience stores, grocery stores, etc. Going to the Mac's on 64th and Center, getting a slush and playing some Final Fight with friends was always a blast.
Roast Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:32 AM   #1494
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quite an interesting article that describes everything from the beginnings of Electric Avenue to how it was policed

Quote:
Electric Avenue kind of snuck up on everyone, even those who were right in the middle of it all, like Al Thompson. A helicopter pilot from Winnipeg, Thompson moved to Calgary in 1981 and turned to bartending when the bust economy at the time dried up work opportunities in the air. He found work with the Claudio’s Group, owners of an eponymous restaurant on the south side of 11th Avenue between 5th and 6th streets, a strip that was primarily comprised of low-density office developments. Claudio’s eventually placed “Big Al,” as he became known, behind the bar at Bandito’s, its Mexican-themed restaurant and bar across the street.

Thompson recalls something of a snowball effect. “All of a sudden, across the road, the Manhattan Club went up,” he says. “Next door was Coconut Joe’s, then we had the King’s Horse open up across the street. Three Cheers was a couple of doors down and then we had the Keg at the corner.”

“It was ridiculous after we beat the Oilers. I remember a guy hanging off the roof of Bandito’s burning a Wayne Gretzky effigy,” says Jason Stang, who was hired to DJ at The Rave, a predecessor to Coconut Joe’s, when he was only 16. But, for all the drunken revelry that evening, Stang also recalls things seemed (relatively) under control. “The police got smart, shut down the block, dumped everybody’s booze and nothing too bad happened. It was contained chaos,” he says.

“I was bartending the night the Flames won the Stanley Cup,” says Jon Truch, owner/proprietor of 17th Avenue hot-dog joint Tubby Dog, who was also in high school when he began working as a busboy on the Avenue. “It was crazy. People were just throwing money around. They’d say, ‘Give me a beer!’ and you’d ask, ‘What kind?’ and they’d say, ‘I don’t care,’ and they’d throw you a $20 bill.”
Quote:
“A normal night was really busy because of the concentration of bars,” says Steve Chapman, a former Calgary Police Service officer who spent time on the Electric Avenue beat. “There was a lot of movement. I could have balanced the city budget just by writing people up on jaywalking.”

For the most part, the officers working the Avenue during the late ’80s took a less-antagonistic approach. “You’d get people carrying open liquor, which, for the most part, you ignored, because it wasn’t worth it — unless the guy was an idiot, in which case you poured it out and sent him on his way,” says Chapman.
Quote:
In the ’80s, the violence mostly took the form of fistfights. The high concentration of bars, mixed with the density of drunken patrons, made nightly altercations ubiquitous on the Avenue. Fistfighting was the strip’s official sport, and dustups were just as likely to involve door staff.

“There were actually a lot of wrestlers [working as bouncers] back when Stampede Wrestling was going on,” says Truch. “They were nice guys, but they had attitude, and, if people pushed them the wrong way, there were no constraints. If they wanted to hit someone, they hit someone.”

Pro wrestlers were also regular patrons on the Avenue. Truch recalls a night at Bandito’s when a visit from Stampede Wrestling legend Makhan Singh played out like a scene from the ring — someone tossed a pitcher of water at another intended target and hit Singh by mistake, resulting in an impromptu main event between the wrestler and Bandito’s manager, “Big Jim,” a football-playing farm boy bold enough (and burly enough) to take on a wrestling legend.
https://www.avenuecalgary.com/June-2...tying-History/
Old 01-29-2019, 08:09 AM   #1495
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I remember when Chinook had a small bakery behind the escalators to the theater. They sold doughnut holes covered in powdered sugar, a doz. in a little plastic bag.

Don't recall the cookie place though.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:12 AM   #1496
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Remember Chinook had the beauty of a store, Woolworths. very SAAN like. chinook has changed so much, not even recognizable anymore
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 09:18 AM   #1497
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember Woodwards at the south end. It had both a clothing/department store section and a grocery store. You could put your bagged groceries into a large plastic bin and it went through an underground roller chute and you could pick them up at the little station at the far end of the parking lot.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 09:30 AM   #1498
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is very-likely a self-fata, but every time I drive east into Calgary, I contemplate skinning up Pigeon Mountain.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...lost-ski-hills
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2019, 10:04 AM   #1499
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I remember Woodwards at the south end. It had both a clothing/department store section and a grocery store. You could put your bagged groceries into a large plastic bin and it went through an underground roller chute and you could pick them up at the little station at the far end of the parking lot.
Woodwards at Chinook also had a candy counter where you could buy bulk candy by the weight.

I went to Milton Williams for junior high, and once a week my parents would give me $5 to buy lunch at the Chinook food court. Being an adolescent, I'd usually spend $1 on a bag of onion rings at A&W, and then $4 on bulk chocolate rosebuds and blue whales at Woodwards.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 10:21 AM   #1500
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
yep remember it well but Woolworths was further down the mall. not far from the old escalator that went up to Easy Street if I recall. lot smaller that Woodwards
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a ringa ding dong dandy , a simpler time