Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2020, 05:22 AM   #2561
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Probably by biggest nerd shame is that I've never been able to finish reading the Foundation series. I've read lots of other Asimov stuff but for some reason I've never been able to get into it. Maybe this will motivate me or give the books a framework to fit into my brain.

I love Asimov and the Foundation series. Just brilliant SciFi. "The Mule" especially is some of the most enjoyment I have ever gotten out of a book.

My affinity for the source material definitely has me excited for this adaptation (even on Apple) but I am a little skeptical. Like this thing covers a millennium with stories decades or centuries apart. From the looks of the acting appearances the first season covers the first story "The Psychohistorians" but this is about 60 pages of source material. How does that make a whole season? Are they using some of the prequels, compressing events of the books, or relying on flash backs/forwards to tell the story? There is a lot than can go wrong.

While were at it with the Asimov adaptations I think it's time for another go at "I, Robot". Needs to be an actual mystery story nothing like the Will Smith CGI action fest.

Last edited by FireGilbert; 06-24-2020 at 05:47 AM.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #2562
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
That's actually bizarrely interesting. That makes the Bale movies standalone, and the Burton movies the first events chronologically post Wonder Woman. In fact, WW84 will butt right into the events of Batman.

And if Flashpoint retcons events (the alternate timeline would happen mid 1990s), but keeps Burton whole, then that eliminates BvS and JL, but keeps MoS because those events were set in motion long before Burton, and would follow the same timeline regardless of Flashpoint. Aquaman might follow the same logical path.

So maintaining the timeline would be Wonder Woman, WW84, Batman, Batman Returns, Flash, Man of Steel and Aquaman.

Gone would be Green Lantern, BvS and JL.

Half gone would be Shazam, which could be explained during Black Adam.

That would actually be a strong lineup. It is possible that someone not dumb is working at WB?
I think the idea is still that the Burton movies occur in their own universe, but then the Flash visits that part of the multiverse and pulls the Keaton Batman out and brings him into his universe....or maybe Keaton Batman tracks down the Flash and enters the main DCEU on his own accord.

It sounds like they are getting rid of the Affleck Batman, so, yes, BvS and JL would be retconed out. Green Lantern was never part of the universe, although I've seen some more rumours stating that Reynold's GL may appear in the Snidercut. So they may actually be retconing GL into the DCEU.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:52 PM   #2563
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Christ. I fear if you start doing too much of that and then only only hard core comic fans are going to care.

Is your average movie fan trying to figure out how the various continuities fit together? Give me a good story that stands on its own for two hours and don’t worry too much about shoehorning in the movies that happened before. If you want to build a connected universe, do it by looking forward and not back IMO.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:42 PM   #2564
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

You’re not wrong. As excited as I am to see Keaton as Batman again, I think they should have gone the Batman Beyond route with it. Show us something we haven’t seen on the big screen before. Keaton training a new Batman in a Blade Runneresque world of superheroes.

That said, the TV Crisis series was a lot of fun with the cameos and explaining the multiverse.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 01:45 PM   #2565
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Christ. I fear if you start doing too much of that and then only only hard core comic fans are going to care.

Is your average movie fan trying to figure out how the various continuities fit together? Give me a good story that stands on its own for two hours and don’t worry too much about shoehorning in the movies that happened before. If you want to build a connected universe, do it by looking forward and not back IMO.
Flashpoint is a great story, even though it deals with a lot of crazy time travel/multiple dimensions. It actual wraps itself a pretty well reasoned package.

I imagine it'll be very difficult to pull off as a live action film though.

Marvel is going the same way too. Dr. Strange is introducing a multiverse. They've already introduced the time travel/multiple timelines concept, and at least some of their TV shows will be set in alternate timelines. On top of that the Scarlet Witch and other cosmic beings will be using powers to alternate the main reality, to introduce characters like the mutants.
Old 06-26-2020, 03:37 PM   #2566
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've watched most of the DC Animated Universe movies the past few weeks. It surprised the hell out of me how many I'd not seen (probably 2/3). I only have Wonder Woman and Apokolips to go.

Batman Hush stood out as the best one. Most of the Batman movies were easier to watch, in fact.

One of the reasons I bailed from the dc animated movies was because they lacked the interconnectivity the DCAU had. Some of the stand alone movies were quite good, but the story arcs really elevated my enjoyment. In this series (what are we calling it, the DCEAU?, Apokolips-series?) it's neat to go back to characters already introduced on a whim, and allows more complex stories to develop over time. Here, I'm referring more about Damien, Grayson, and Deathstroke. I kind of wish they'd delved a little more into Hawkman and GL here, though

Suicide Squad Hell to Pay was the only one It would have been less painful watching 90 minutes of Peppa Pig with my niece (..WITH MY NIECE!)
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2020, 06:25 PM   #2567
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

The batman ninja movie was one of the worst things I've ever seen. I couldn't finish it.
Old 07-03-2020, 05:45 AM   #2568
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Second Old Guard trailer. Movie hits Netlfix next Friday, July 10

Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:24 PM   #2569
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today is the 20th anniversary of the first X-Men film released in theatres. You could argue this is the most important comic book film of all time as it kinda kicked off the rebirth of CBM's after Batman and Robin almost killed them. I know since it's release, there have been better X-Men films but this one still holds up for me.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nadal Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 04:54 PM   #2570
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Today is the 20th anniversary of the first X-Men film released in theatres. You could argue this is the most important comic book film of all time as it kinda kicked off the rebirth of CBM's after Batman and Robin almost killed them. I know since it's release, there have been better X-Men films but this one still holds up for me.
I'd argue that Blade actually brought comic book movies back to form, but yes X-men definitely played a huge role in righting the course.
Old 07-14-2020, 05:30 PM   #2571
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I'd argue that Blade actually brought comic book movies back to form, but yes X-men definitely played a huge role in righting the course.
That was only a year later. There was still a very sour taste in everyone's mouths from Batman and Robin when Blade was released.

X-Men did it with A-List superheroes as well.

Blade, and more-so the Matrix, definitely set the tone for superhero movies needing to be dark and moody.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:06 PM   #2572
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That was only a year later. There was still a very sour taste in everyone's mouths from Batman and Robin when Blade was released.

X-Men did it with A-List superheroes as well.

Blade, and more-so the Matrix, definitely set the tone for superhero movies needing to be dark and moody.
I’ll never forget the hysteria over the black leather look of the Xmen costumes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2020, 07:43 PM   #2573
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I’ll never forget the hysteria over the black leather look of the Xmen costumes.
Old 07-27-2020, 02:14 PM   #2574
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tenet releasing in Canada and international at the end of August and then in only select cities in the USA labor day weekend. Interesting strategy, let's see if it works out for them.
Old 07-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #2575
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huge announcement from AMC theaters as they reached a deal with Universal to allow Universal to release movies to On Demand after only 17 days in theater. Previously it was a 90 day window. This is going to change the entire industry.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:02 PM   #2576
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Huge announcement from AMC theaters as they reached a deal with Universal to allow Universal to release movies to On Demand after only 17 days in theater. Previously it was a 90 day window. This is going to change the entire industry.
At $19.99 for on demand movies, I'm going to keep going to the theatres when I can. I can definitely see how this is more desirable for anyone with a family of 4+ though.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 05:32 AM   #2577
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
At $19.99 for on demand movies, I'm going to keep going to the theatres when I can. I can definitely see how this is more desirable for anyone with a family of 4+ though.
You’d only need two people watching to be cheaper than just the tickets. Plus your snacks at home cost 80% less, convenience of being able to pause and resume, not having to worry about Covid... I’d be doing it every time.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #2578
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
You’d only need two people watching to be cheaper than just the tickets. Plus your snacks at home cost 80% less, convenience of being able to pause and resume, not having to worry about Covid... I’d be doing it every time.
I get that the at home experience is still cheaper. The movie theater experience is just that much better. I'd rather pay $45 at the theater than $30ish (tax and home snacks are not free) at home.

I do find that the certain movies, that are both non visual and mediocre otherwise, are not much better in the theaters. However, I'm also in no rush to see those movies, and will wait for Netflix.
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 09:37 AM   #2579
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Family of 4 will drop ~$100 on one movie. $20 for a non-"experience" movie is well worth it.

Theatre experience can be a bit of a crap shoot. Most of the time people are pretty respectful but you get the odd jerk. If you can't sit through a movie without having to pee, you get the aisle seat. Don't pick the middle and ruin it for everyone in your row.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #2580
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Family of 4 will drop ~$100 on one movie. $20 for a non-"experience" movie is well worth it.

Theatre experience can be a bit of a crap shoot. Most of the time people are pretty respectful but you get the odd jerk. If you can't sit through a movie without having to pee, you get the aisle seat. Don't pick the middle and ruin it for everyone in your row.
If you can’t survive 90 minutes without checking your phone do us all a favour and eat a bullet. I’ll watch films at home first before going to a theatre 10 times out of 10. I’m all for the death of the theatre experience.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote