Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #161
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Aho is 0.814 points per game and Tkachuck is 0.76, so 4 points over 80 games. Certainly other metrics like primary points per 60 would come into play but I see no reason to go over 7.25 a year for 4 years. If Marner gets 12.5 over 5...good for him. If someone wants to pay Tkachuck in that stratosphere, I would elect to let him walk.
Tkaxhuk is doing that from the second line as part of a defensive unit.

Aho, rantanen and marner all play 20 minutes a game. Tkachuk plays 17:30

I think he's on the same tier, he just isn't utilized the same way.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:33 AM   #162
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

For some reason I had it in my head that his UFA eligibility was 5 years away - if I'm wrong about that I retract what I said.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 11:34 AM   #163
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

7 or 27 rule. He has 3 years, just needs 4 years to reach UFA.

It's more of a case that the Flames never going to offer him a 4 year deal.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 01:57 PM   #164
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
For some reason I had it in my head that his UFA eligibility was 5 years away - if I'm wrong about that I retract what I said.
My post also should have noted a 5 year term as opposed to 4 as well. If its 4 years than your direct comparable is Meier at 6 for 4 years. So Tkachuck is worth more for sure. How much...i think close to a million but you know the numbers and metrics used to determine this better than I do.

If someone wants to pay Tkachuck more than Aho...It does start to border on the match or no match decision.
If its more than 10.57 AAV...let him go. Tkachuck is really good player. But I do not view him as a franchise altering type of talent.

I would think at that price point the Leafs too would consider letting Marner go.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 07-05-2019 at 02:04 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2019, 02:48 PM   #165
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The wrinkle on the Meier contract based on how capfriendly has it is that the final year of the contract is 10m.

Meier will be an rfa at the end of his deal, but he will have to be qualified at 10 million.

The tkachuk comparison to that deal would be 3 years to bring him to RFA status with a final year salary of 10 million which is something I can't see the flames even entertaining.

Imo the flames are looking for 5 years minimum and would really like to get the full 8 to avoid any kind of free agency hic ups going forward.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:35 AM   #166
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Listening to NHL radio today, they felt Kadri picked Denver because he would definitely play on the 2nd line. The feeling was, in Calgary, he was going to be 3C behind Monahan and Backlund. Treliving and Peters both talked to Kadri but couldn’t convince him to waive.

That’s going to be a good hockey team in a few years in Denver.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2019, 04:48 AM   #167
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsJunky View Post
Listening to NHL radio today, they felt Kadri picked Denver because he would definitely play on the 2nd line. The feeling was, in Calgary, he was going to be 3C behind Monahan and Backlund. Treliving and Peters both talked to Kadri but couldn’t convince him to waive.

That’s going to be a good hockey team in a few years in Denver.

I thought that Colorado was not on his NT list, so he had no choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 04:52 AM   #168
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I should have said rather than pick Denver he chose not to waive for Calgary.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:15 AM   #169
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So the Leafs preferred the Flames package and would have sent him to Calgary but since he did not waive they took their 2nd best offer? Is that the scenario they were discussing on NHL radio?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:08 AM   #170
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
But I recall hearing the day the trade was made that Kadri was unwilling to waive his NTC for any team, and was most determined to remain in TO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 09:20 AM   #171
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I wonder what else other than Brodie was in the package. I would guess Jankowski. The Avalanche paid a pretty good price to get Kadri, so I wonder if the Flames were retaining salary on Brodie too.
Old 07-09-2019, 10:57 AM   #172
theg69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
I wonder what else other than Brodie was in the package. I would guess Jankowski. The Avalanche paid a pretty good price to get Kadri, so I wonder if the Flames were retaining salary on Brodie too.
There was speculation on twitter that the rumoured deal was Brodie and Jankowski for Kadri and Brown. There might have been a third team to flip Brown to for a cap dump afterwards involved.

https://twitter.com/RyanNPike/status...44417265639425
theg69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:52 AM   #173
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing it was probably another prospect like Kylington or a 2nd round pick involved, which is just not being reported.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 12:38 PM   #174
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theg69 View Post
There was speculation on twitter that the rumoured deal was Brodie and Jankowski for Kadri and Brown. There might have been a third team to flip Brown to for a cap dump afterwards involved.

https://twitter.com/RyanNPike/status...44417265639425
There's also speculation that Kadri nixed the deal because he misunderstood the situation. Kadri supposedly just had a kid and likely didn't want to move and it's speculation that he refused to waive because he thought it'd be unlikely for the Leafs to find a landing spot for him otherwise. It's speculation he waived to avoid being traded and didn't really consider who was on the list at all. He misread the situation as not waiving = stay in Toronto. He didn't realize not waiving = there's still options for TO to trade him without consulting his opinion.

He doesn't have a full NTC, so the Avs who weren't on his list were able to acquire him no problemo without consulting Kadri.

I think if he could do a do-over with what he knows now, he thinks longer and harder about waiving the NTC. Avs aren't a horrible landing spot for him though.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 01:37 PM   #175
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
I'm guessing it was probably another prospect like Kylington or a 2nd round pick involved, which is just not being reported.
The deal (from good sources) was Mark Jankowski and TJ Brodie for Connor Brown and Nazem Kadri, and a 3rd team was involved for the Flames to flip Brown to.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:40 AM   #176
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Avs trade Barrie (50% retained), Kerfoot, 6th to Leafs for Kadri, Rosen, 3rd

This should not come as a surprise, but $8.0 m for Tyson Barrie still seems like an awful lot.

Report: Leafs' Barrie eyes $8M on next deal

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 09:13 AM   #177
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
This should not come as a surprise, but $8.0 m for Tyson Barrie still seems like an awful lot.

Report: Leafs' Barrie eyes $8M on next deal

As per cap friendly, assuming Marner gets $10M AAV, leafs would have about $16M in cap space, with basically all forwards locked in, and only Rielly under contract on D (other than their ELC guys like Liljegren, Sandin, who they probably are hoping they can pencil in).

So essentially, one way or another, the leafs D could be completely rebuilt by the start of next year.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:13 PM   #178
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
As per cap friendly, assuming Marner gets $10M AAV, leafs would have about $16M in cap space, with basically all forwards locked in, and only Rielly under contract on D (other than their ELC guys like Liljegren, Sandin, who they probably are hoping they can pencil in).

So essentially, one way or another, the leafs D could be completely rebuilt by the start of next year.
Marner wants more than $10MM I think.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:21 PM   #179
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
There's also speculation that Kadri nixed the deal because he misunderstood the situation. Kadri supposedly just had a kid and likely didn't want to move and it's speculation that he refused to waive because he thought it'd be unlikely for the Leafs to find a landing spot for him otherwise. It's speculation he waived to avoid being traded and didn't really consider who was on the list at all. He misread the situation as not waiving = stay in Toronto. He didn't realize not waiving = there's still options for TO to trade him without consulting his opinion.

He doesn't have a full NTC, so the Avs who weren't on his list were able to acquire him no problemo without consulting Kadri.

I think if he could do a do-over with what he knows now, he thinks longer and harder about waiving the NTC. Avs aren't a horrible landing spot for him though.
I'm not sure if there is any evidence that would suggest he would prefer Calgary over Denver. Or vice versa for that matter.

I'm quite certain he fully understood that he could be traded to teams who were not on his NT list.

But if he wanted to stay in Toronto, waiving would get him traded for certain. With not waiving, there was till a chance he could stay.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote