Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-01-2019, 08:29 AM   #1
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2019 Formula 1

Testing is wrapping up in Spain and the season starts in 13 days. As usual it's hard to handicap the field based on the testing results. Ferrari came out guns a blazing whereas Mercedes hasn't revealed their true pace yet. The only certainty in the midfield is that Williams is hot garbage again.

So I'm going to Austin for the race this fall. Anyone else been down there for the race?
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 09:16 AM   #2
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully it is more watchable this year. Can't think of another sport where everyone prays for rain.
Old 03-01-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

The new aero packages seem to have tightened up the entire field (save Williams, lol). But who knows how much just by looking at Barcelona. Its also hard to tell since the change in rules was meant to help more passing, which doesnt happen at testing.

I'm stoked for this year. Have a good buddy who's pretty senior with Toro Rosso and he seems more upbeat this year. The new Honda power seems more reliable and they're sharing the rear end with the big team.

@DFO, we're heading to Austin as well this year! Few of us have 40ths this year so going to make a trip out of it. Also super lucky and dragging my wife to the French and Austrian GPs as well :-)
FLAMESRULE is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2019, 01:59 PM   #4
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

^^^^^^
Jesus, do you understand how lucky you are?

Very jealous. I would love to go to even Montreal for a race.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 02:02 PM   #5
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFO View Post
Testing is wrapping up in Spain and the season starts in 13 days. As usual it's hard to handicap the field based on the testing results. Ferrari came out guns a blazing whereas Mercedes hasn't revealed their true pace yet. The only certainty in the midfield is that Williams is hot garbage again.

So I'm going to Austin for the race this fall. Anyone else been down there for the race?
Meh, not so upset about Willams now that Lance Stroll's dad bailed him out of there. I'm really excited about Force India actually.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:25 PM   #6
jayswin

Exp:

When do the new liveries typically come out?
Old 03-01-2019, 04:40 PM   #7
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

What you see in testing is usually what they run for the season unless there is a mega sponsor announcement.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:58 PM   #8
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I'm very excited for this season. Newcomers at RBR and Ferrari, some midfield teams that look like they might snag a podium (or even a win) here and there, Stroll with a decent car, Kimi driving that sexy ass Alfa, Honda's reliability looking good, Renault saying they have way better power and reliability compared to last season.

And I'm going to montreal again for the race in June. But I swear to god, if the Flames are in the SCF at the same time...
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 05:23 PM   #9
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm without a favorite driver for the first time in ages.

Is McLaren's pace for real? That's the only question I have.

Alonso might very well have stuck around.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:27 PM   #10
jayswin

Exp:

I'm hoping Renault can be a legit threat to push the top 3 teams. Having Mercedes, Ferarri and Red Bull as an almost automatic top 6 was annoying.

Who knows what the races themselves will be like but at least it looks like we could see a much more dynamic leaderboard week to week.
Old 03-01-2019, 05:29 PM   #11
jayswin

Exp:

My preferences are

- Mercedes not winning races, and if they do I'd like to see Bottas take a couple
- Stroll having a much better season on a better team
- Ricciardo finishing well, maybe even winning a race
- Verstappen getting impatient and doing stupid things that lead to fireworks on and off the track
Old 03-01-2019, 08:06 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
What you see in testing is usually what they run for the season unless there is a mega sponsor announcement.
That's weird I could have swore they made a huge deal about revealing liveries last season (and that was my first season watching).
Old 03-01-2019, 09:33 PM   #13
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's weird I could have swore they made a huge deal about revealing liveries last season (and that was my first season watching).
They still do, but it's typically done in advance of winter testing.

If you follow any of the teams on Twitter their car launches are one of the biggest things they hype.
Old 03-02-2019, 08:53 AM   #14
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yep, most teams released their new liveries around Feb 10-14th. The RBR release was gross IMO but during testing they went back to a more traditional colour scheme.

@jayswin, I know I'm lucky...but if you get the chance you really should try and get to a race. I've been to loads of lower series races, but only 1 F1 race in Montreal (2011 Montreal). F1 races are incredible spectacles IMO if you like/love racing.

Im definitely not a fan of Stroll, just dont think he has the talent to be in F1. Ricciardo is my current favourite driver and I have a serious hate-on for Mad Max. Max has elite talent, but just cant control his emotions in a car. If he ever could he'd challenge every week and save RBR a fortune in broken cars (including his teammates, lol). Also a big fan of Leclerc, really looking forward to him challenging Vettel despite being the obvious #2.

@doubleK, there is no chance IMO that Mclarens pace is for real. They were 2nd fastest in testing last year if memory serves. They'll be down at the bottom, but much stronger than Williams...god do I feel bad for that team. What a fall.

In reading up on the drivers thoughts most seem to really be coming around to the new aero rules. Handful of them saying the cars feel quicker and more stable/predictable when following other cars. The new front wings creating more drag on the front car and the bigger DRS giving a more stable and quicker following car.

I'm stoked for Melbourne. Should see 2 good battles with the Big 3 and then Alfa/Renault/RacingPoint...and hopefully Mclaren + Toro Rosso.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
wontondestruction
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Formula 1: Drive to Survive | Official Trailer [HD] | Netflix

Just in time to kick-off the new season.

wontondestruction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:28 AM   #16
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am looking to follow F1 this year. I have a few questions. Is it better to cheer for a team or a driver? Also, is there a No good team or driver that I should hate. Finally whats the best way to watch in Canada?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 10:51 AM   #17
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
I am looking to follow F1 this year. I have a few questions. Is it better to cheer for a team or a driver? Also, is there a No good team or driver that I should hate. Finally whats the best way to watch in Canada?
The easy ones to hate are Verstappen (cause he's reckless, hyper aggressive, and cry baby), Vettel (arrogant, but very skilled) and Hamilton (won 5 championships in a row).

No Good teams are Racing Point...for whatever reason I can't stand Stroll and his dad. Sure, he's Canadian, but he's had his entire career bought and paid for...he's not F1 quality IMO.

Teams to love...for me its Renault this year (I like Ricciardo) and Toro Rosso (very good friend is a lead engineer there). My dark horse is the Alfa Romeo/Sauber team.

I'm holding off on throwing my support behind a team until Porsche joins in 2020/21...then I'm all in.

Best way to watch is set the PVR. TSN shows the races live, but they are at awful hours. My routine is PVR and then watch Sunday morning while wifey does dishes ;-)
Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #18
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I cheer for teams and drivers. It is a very different atmosphere than other team or individual sports because of this. For example, I don't really like Max because he's such a dick and his dad is just the worst, but I enjoy cheering for Red Bull (the team he drives for). Other than the Mercs and Hamilton I don't dislike anyone on the grid. I even like Bottas (the #2 Merc driver).

You should dislike Mercedes because they win all the time and treat their #2 driver like crap. Plus Hamilton is a giant baby.

You should like almost all of the midfield teams (Toro Rosso, Racing Point, Alfa Romeo etc). Basically anyone but Ferrari, Merc and Red Bull. The big teams are bullies.

If you don't like pay drivers, you won't like F1, so I'm not sure why anyone would suggest you don't like Stroll. Half the grid wouldn't be there if their ride wasn't bought and paid for with family or sponsor money. Plus Stroll's dad saved hundreds if not thousands of jobs by saving that team from administration and he got out of the horrible situation at Williams.

This is the final year of the TSN contract. Their coverage is excellent in some ways and awful in others. They are also the only legal way to watch. You get all the pre-race and post-race coverage but they show commercials during the races, which is super lame. Even the US gets commercial free broadcasts. But TSN does show Practice 2, pre and post qualifying coverage so it isn't like they totally suck.

But F1TV (the only legal way to stream races) really, really sucks right now so I'm not sure if the TSN contract ending is even a good thing. If SN picks it up you just know they'll screw us. We don't get F1TV in Canada though because TSN's contract is exclusive. So next season and beyond is totally up in the air.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-11-2019 at 11:17 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #19
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
The easy ones to hate are Verstappen (cause he's reckless, hyper aggressive, and cry baby), Vettel (arrogant, but very skilled) and Hamilton (won 5 championships in a row).

No Good teams are Racing Point...for whatever reason I can't stand Stroll and his dad. Sure, he's Canadian, but he's had his entire career bought and paid for...he's not F1 quality IMO.

Teams to love...for me its Renault this year (I like Ricciardo) and Toro Rosso (very good friend is a lead engineer there). My dark horse is the Alfa Romeo/Sauber team.

I'm holding off on throwing my support behind a team until Porsche joins in 2020/21...then I'm all in.

Best way to watch is set the PVR. TSN shows the races live, but they are at awful hours. My routine is PVR and then watch Sunday morning while wifey does dishes ;-)
Groovy. I like the Idea of cheering against the top dogs. cheering a the inception of fandom is always so arbitrary. I like the idea of supporting a young team like Haas. Admittedly, the netflix special has made me want to cheer for Ricciardo ( and hate Verstappen) as well. Otherwise, I could get behind the Alfa Romeo/Sauber team and Mclaren F1.

Whats a good news source for following along? I was hoping that the athletic had some coverage, but they don't.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:26 AM   #20
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

The F1 subreddit is good for news. Some of the main guys on Twitter like Will Buxton. Websites like Motorsport and Autosport will have coverage. You'll also find english coverage on any of the UK news sites like BBC. Just be mindful of the source and clickbait stuff. F1, like all euro sports, is full of insane gossip and rumours. Far more than we're used to in NA sports. It can get a little overwhelming.

One note about the neflix doc. I loved it and thought it was very well done. That being said it was without a doubt put together by movie makers, not by people who know anything about F1. When they had to choose between reality and drama, they chose drama every time. They used misleading edits, they recut audio and put it in places it shouldn't have been etc. None of this is new if you're familiar with any documentary or behind the scenes type show and in no way did it ruin my enjoyment of it but you should take some of it with a grain of salt.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post: