Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2016, 03:50 PM   #21
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
What I'm trying to get as is that if you were to use a phone or a modern smart device you'd have access to all kinds of libraries (Spotify, Deezer, Google Music, iTunes). Is that not appealing at all?
In an ironic way, I think it's like the reverse of video stores like Blockbuster. While it's cool to have libraries and stuff, there's just something about owning it yourself and organizing it the way you want to.

Furthermore, there's just something nice about separating this one thing from everything else going on. While sure, I can (for instance) listen to music while doing everything else, it's also nice to just listen to music and only music distraction free (ie: without being interrupted by text messages during the songs).

Another way to look at it is similar to the debates surrounding a camera. Why bother with an SLR/Mirrorless when phones have pretty dang good cameras in them these days anyways?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 05:25 PM   #22
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I plan on using my two iPods until they die. I have a 5th gen 80 GB model, and a 6th gen 160 GB Classic model. I don't want to mess around with streaming services and cloud storage and crap. I have a music library that is exactly what I like. And I have devices to play it.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 06:35 PM   #23
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still use an old iPod mini that I upgraded to 16GB CF(from the 6GB HDD it came with). Put Rockbox on it and use it in my truck that only has a tape deck. That was back when Apple made stuff you could service and upgrade yourself.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016, 10:18 AM   #24
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Why don't you standalone MP3 player folks use your phones? Is it because they are too distracting? Storage concerns? I've often wondered this as I use my iPhone exclusively for music and audio books at the gym.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Draining battery life of phone
Output quality wasn't as great in previous generations phones
Phone memory upgrades to store the music were expensive
I hated the interface for the music players in phones
Already had previous mp3 players
Phones were fragile and a pain to replace. Mp3 would hurt the heart, but easier to replace.

Even though most of this has been resolved, it's somewhere between habit and still hating the interface for music that keeps me to sound systems and mp3 players.
:
Another reason for stand alone - phones are banned from dressing rooms (hockey areanas etc.) sometimes by team policy and sometimes by MHA policy. If the kids want tunes in the room it has to be from an MP3 player.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:27 PM   #25
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Another reason for stand alone - phones are banned from dressing rooms (hockey areanas etc.) sometimes by team policy and sometimes by MHA policy. If the kids want tunes in the room it has to be from an MP3 player.
Ah, I have heard of this requirement before too. I've heard of restrictions so strict that recording capabilities or bluetooth are not allowed. A prison or someone working data entry to extremely sensitive information might be places that have such restrictions.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2016, 12:39 PM   #26
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a pair of classics for my vehicles and a nano for the gym.

I'd like to just use my phone, but the battery life.....the other downside to using your pjhone is then you are always connected
Old 10-09-2016, 04:01 AM   #27
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I've used this Creative Muvo TX FM for 10+ years and still don't see anything that can replace it's functionality.

It has a built in USB connector so I don't need to fiddle with or carry a cable. It takes regular AAA batteries so it's easy to swap and not worry about charging. It lasts forever on a single battery and I don't need to worry about draining my phone which I need for other purposes. It's tiny so I don't have to hold it in my hand when running. I have it for workouts (comes with workout clip) and travelling. Physical controls are also nice. I don't like having to take my phone out, open the case, unlock my phone, open the app, etc. to change playlists, etc. Also - it has a built in FM radio which phones have omitted for years. Phones allow me to carry and access more music than ever before - but make it damned difficult to use and consume.

The only viable alternative to this is the Huawei Android Wear Watch I bought off lucky1 here on CP. 3rd party apps let me sideload Mp3s onto the watch which I can then sync to a Bluetooth headset to play music without carrying a phone. It kinda works but then the battery gets drained ultra fast and then I have a non-functional watch strapped to my arm.

The biggest problem now with technology is I don't really listen to pre-recorded commercial music anymore. Most of the music I listen to are indie releases or DJ mixes on Soundcloud, Mixcloud, and other streaming services in addition to bootlegs of live performances and other video based compilations (again, streaming, Youtube, Vimeo, etc.) so I have to bother ripping streams into audio files if I want to use traditional portable media formats like Mp3. Arrgh. It's actually easier to hit play on a stream and record it straight to cassette tape...

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 10-09-2016 at 04:15 AM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote