Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #21
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

For those of you with outdoor cameras, anybody have any luck keeping spiders from building their webs right in front of them? Apparently they or the insects like the IR light.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #22
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

My cameras are still new so I have yet to experience this.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #23
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
For those of you with outdoor cameras, anybody have any luck keeping spiders from building their webs right in front of them? Apparently they or the insects like the IR light.
No, I just get out every other weekend with the broom...
ricosuave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
...Also got a Nest Hello on sale, I thought about the Ring but some people have complained about cold weather performance plus I have Google Home and thought Nest would integrate better...
I've read the opposite that Ring had better cold weather handling than Nest. Can anyone confirm either? I'm seriously considering getting one, but the ability to handle cold weather is important in Calgary's climate.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:03 PM   #25
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For my front door camera I just mounted inside and pointed it towards my front door. It doesn't get frozen or stolen/damaged that way.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 08:08 PM   #26
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the Nest doorbell and would suggest that it makes the most sense if you are already heavily invested in the Nest ecosystem. I love it so far, although paying $5 per month for storage sort of sucks.

I would think that the only thing the cold would affect is a battery. Arlo really suffered from this. The Nest is hardwired and Ring makes both battery and hard-wired models.

I've been building my automation/security system using this, btw: https://www.home-assistant.io/
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 09:56 PM   #27
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just chiming in that my nest hello absolutely had zero issues in March when it was about 8 degrees out. The nest hello was registering a +23 as internal temperature so I am sure that because of the operating voltage and electronics that it’s able to keep the temp a good 20 degrees warmer then the ambient.

For example my nest Thermo is saying it’s 10 outside now and my nest hello is 28.

Now will it be ok when it’s -35 out? I don’t know but I imagine it will be fine.

Edit: I just read online that at -22 the hello was at +4 (RedFlagDeals) so I’m sure it will be fine.

Last edited by Diemenz; 09-03-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:05 AM   #28
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
For example my nest Thermo is saying it’s 10 outside now and my nest hello is 28.
How are you reading the internal temp?
Old 09-04-2018, 09:46 AM   #29
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
How are you reading the internal temp?
In the nest app or webpage click on the hello cam then click the settings tab. You can then click technical info.

I tried posting a picture but it’s not working. FYI the temp of the hello is 31.7 right now.

Last edited by Diemenz; 09-04-2018 at 09:49 AM.
Diemenz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diemenz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 10:59 AM   #30
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diemenz View Post
In the nest app or webpage click on the hello cam then click the settings tab. You can then click technical info.

I tried posting a picture but it’s not working. FYI the temp of the hello is 31.7 right now.
Mine doesn't show the temp, just voltage. A simple Google search says that this functionality was removed in the latest firmware update. Bummer.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:09 PM   #31
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Mine doesn't show the temp, just voltage. A simple Google search says that this functionality was removed in the latest firmware update. Bummer.
Well I guess I’m on old firmware lol. That should just auto update one would think, but them one would be wrong.

However I don’t think weather will be an issue because it doesn’t use a battery or cap system like others. I guess we’ll know in a few months.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #32
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

In my experience, 'operating temperature' on the lower end is the temperature it can be reasonably expected to turn on from being cold and powered off.

For example, the Reolink RLC-410 claims a working environment of down to -10°C, but have themselves admitted that the cameras once powered on and warmed up are fine to operate as low as -42°C. But they also advise against using battery-powered cameras in severe weather. Batteries and cold temperatures aren't friends.
Old 09-08-2018, 08:27 AM   #33
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had an August Doorbell cam last year and it worked fine throughout the winter except during the week where it was continuously cold for a bunch of consecutive days. The doorbell could still be connected but the screen would just display a white screen at night. During the day when it warmed up a bit, the feed would come back.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2018, 11:06 PM   #34
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I've got an older DSC system that has pooched itself. One of the keypads fried and it will be more pain to re-program than its worth. Despite being 20 years old, still allowed me to self-monitor over the phone.

Anyone have experience with integrating some of the new system panel options with pre-existing hardwired sensors?
This was a kick starter I got in on: https://konnected.io/

I already had a SmartThings hub, so this let me use all my my existing wired sensors an siren and monitor it with my phone. Really easy to setup and it works really well. I had a bunch of zwave sensors before, so I just re-purposed those to other areas of the house.

SmartThings is great, the user community is huge so there is a lot of custom code that has been written.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 11:43 AM   #35
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was looking into Konnected, but it requires you actually have sensors. My house has all the wiring, but blanking plates where the wires come out. No sensors to speak of. :\
Old 09-21-2018, 11:57 AM   #36
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking to set some cameras up at the house- Starting with a Ring Doorbell- is it worth it to upgrade to the Ring 2?
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 01:41 PM   #37
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

aaronck, here's a review comparing the Ring Doorbell, Ring Doorbell 2, and the Ring Doorbell Pro:

Ring Doorbell: 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Only, Non-Removable Battery or Hardwired, 720p only, not fully supported for Alexa.
Ring Doorbell 2: 2.4GHz Wi-Fi Only, Removable Battery or Hardwired, 1080p, Alexa support.
Ring Doorbell Pro: 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi, Hardwired Only, 1080p, Alexa support.

At a minimum, I'd go with the Doorbell 2. If you already own an original Ring Doorbell, the Pro is a more worthwhile jump up than the 2 IMO.

I installed the Ring Doorbell Pro yesterday. I could not, for the life of me, find the damn breaker that our doorbell chime was on. Whoever did the labeling on our breaker panel was a lazy SOB. Luckily, the voltage is really low for doorbell chimes (12-16v generally), so I threw on a pair of gloves and went to work. The install was incredibly straightforward. The Ring Doorbell Pro has a tiny black sticker on the left side of the device opposite the program button. Remove it, and you'll find a micro-USB port, which you can use to pre-charge the onboard battery which is used for short periods of power loss. Some people who didn't do this report that sometimes the device can take a while to power-up after being connected if you don't.

The notifications are lightning fast and faster than the Nest Hello, which was another consideration. The two-way audio is clear, as is the picture quality. It integrates as a motion sensor with SmartThings so I can do things like have the outside front door light turn on if someone is approaching.

Echo Show/Spot integration is nice too. If we know we're having friends over or waiting for an Uber / SkipTheDishes, we can say "Alexa, show the front door" and our Echo Show in the kitchen will jump to a live view of the Ring so we can meet them at the door. Two features lacking in the Alexa skill for the Ring Video Doorbells is that they do not support two-way audio -- you can hear them, they can't hear you. There is also no way to have your Echo Show or Echo Spot automatically jump to the stream when the doorbell rings, you have to instruct Alexa to show the feed. There is also reduced support for the original Ring Video Doorbell and the original Ring Stick-up Cam.

Overall, really cool product, very happy with the purchase.

BUT... if you've got an NVR and want your video doorbell to record video to it, the Ring family of devices won't integrate with them at all as they only support Ring's cloud recording service. Sadtrombone.mp3. However, Uniden makes a video doorbell called the Uniden U-Bell DB-1 which is ONVIF compatible (Blue Iris, Reolink NVRs, etc.). It's also a lot cheaper than the Ring, but it's also less known. But of the few reviews I've seen, it doesn't look too bad.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2018, 04:28 PM   #38
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I recently bought two Ring wired cams, but the place where I want to place one of them has no outlet near.
Can you guys a recommend an electrician, for what would probably be a quick (less than an hour job) for the install?

edit. Bought them as we got a Ring doorbell-pro during prime days, and the thing is just fantastic.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 08:18 PM   #39
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffporfirio View Post
I recently bought two Ring wired cams, but the place where I want to place one of them has no outlet near.
Can you guys a recommend an electrician, for what would probably be a quick (less than an hour job) for the install?

edit. Bought them as we got a Ring doorbell-pro during prime days, and the thing is just fantastic.
Is this all you need?

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...001019107.html
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:32 AM   #40
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Thanks, but the solar panel is just for the battery-powered Ring cameras.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote