Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #21
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
This is nothing more than a (likely) obvious observation you'll say, but while I've always been aware of the difference in sport between male & female events, a lot of the recent snowboard & ski events thus far have really highlighted that I have forgotten how insanely different the caliber and level of performance is between the sexes in certain events. (hurr genetics!)

Mixed doubles curling you could hardly tell a difference between the sexes, but having watched the Slopestyle and now, half-pipe snowboard tonight with men & women back to back, it is like watching an entirely different sport. The female who just won gold in halfpipe just "stomped" the competition by completing one 1080 trick. Most males are pulling off runs 4x more technical than any female with 3+ 1080 tricks in a row (and that is a solid average run).

The real problem is that they are airing these events back to back which just draws direct comparison and the female events in juxtaposition are akin to watching a kids' version where they're happy with just completing a run without falling.

Same thing applies on the freestyle moguls, the trick portion - women are happy just doing a flip, while men are crushing insane tricks.

Call it a blatant observation, but it is almost a reaffirmation of the equality between sexes where besides 2 weeks every few years I forgot that we are really that different physically, and great to see that society has reached a point where I am shocked there is a difference only when it is put on show.
Wind was a massive deterrent in the SlopeX, for women.

https://onboardmag.com/news/snowboar...uM5bzgcYQZG.01

Look at that windsock.

To the average passive fan, they feel the best alpine competition/event for viewing would be the Olympics. They would couldn't be more wrong.

https://whitelines.com/archive/featu...-olympics.html
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 01:14 PM   #22
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Is there a reasonable explanation why in women's hockey they can't hit and have to wear full cages?
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:22 PM   #23
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Orser probably can't now, but he landed the second one ever (in 1979) and the first one ever in the Olympics (in 1984). In fact, he then started throwing in more than one into routines.

Chan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jl7YqmrT64

Or are you joking about stumbles in the Olympics? If so, never mind.
Yup. haha. The worst was Kurt Browning at the Olympics. Just owned the world championships but could never get it done at the games.
Johnny Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:51 PM   #24
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Men and women are different athletically. Water is wet.
to be fair there were a few posters on here that were basically saying "women are just as good as men at sports you misogynists" in a thread here a couple weeks back about transgender athletes.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:58 PM   #25
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Some Summer Olympic trivia: There are some explicitly mixed events like mixed doubles tennis and badminton. There are also a few more sports with men and women competing against each other.

I'm not an expert in any of the following, so please correct if I am wrong.

The Nacra 17 class of sailing has a two-person mixed crew. Also, apparently in the past some sailing events were open to crews containing men and women. As far as I can tell, that is no longer the case.

Shooting:
Quote:
When shooting was reintroduced in 1932, it consisted of only two events. From this, the number of events have increased steadily until reaching the 2000–2004 maximum of seventeen events. The 2008 games had only fifteen. Events marked as "Men's" were actually open events from 1968 until 1980 (and in shotgun events until 1992). Two women won medals in such mixed events: Margaret Murdock, silver in Rifle 3 positions (1976) and Zhang Shan, gold in Skeet (1992).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...ummer_Olympics

Now Shooting has separate men's and women's events. I don't know enough about the sport to know if the gender differences are big enough to warrant the separation.

Equestrian appears to be the only current Olympic event where men and women currently compete head to head (at least, their horses do), without it being a specifically mixed event.

Last edited by gottabekd; 02-13-2018 at 03:01 PM.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:01 PM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Are the horses all the same gender?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:11 PM   #27
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Are the horses all the same gender?
I think it's a spectrum...with some very sharp divisions.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:13 PM   #28
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'd love to see male curlers play the women. That may be the sport where the women would stand the best chance. The men would still prevail, in my opinion.
The only sport I've found where a women performed definitively superior to all male competition are those insane endurance races. Courtney Duawalter won the Moab (238 miles) in 2 days, 10 hours, beating the next male competitor by 10 hours (!!!!).

https://trailrunnermag.com/people/ne...-moab-240.html

Reasons aren't too well known why women do so well in extreme endurance events, some suspect that it is due to higher body fat.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 03:43 PM   #29
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Ya the snowboard events this year definitely did not favour lighter people with less muscle mass. Even the guy who won the gold medal in slope style had to tuck like crazy because he's basically a child. With the wind being as bad as it was for the women, they ended up looking far weaker than they actually are.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2018, 03:47 PM   #30
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
Is there a reasonable explanation why in women's hockey they can't hit and have to wear full cages?
Probably because if Hockey was created today it wouldn't have body checking and require full cages. So when Women's hockey was popularized to the masses it was done with the acceptable level of physicality at the time.

Why kids minor hockey has hitting still is the real unknown but that is a completely different discussion.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 07:56 AM   #31
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Probably because if Hockey was created today it wouldn't have body checking and require full cages. So when Women's hockey was popularized to the masses it was done with the acceptable level of physicality at the time.

Why kids minor hockey has hitting still is the real unknown but that is a completely different discussion.
If memory serves there was hitting in Women's hockey at one time, but it was taking out in the late 80's early 90's because of the discrepancy between teams, in short Canada and the US were too good.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #32
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
If memory serves there was hitting in Women's hockey at one time, but it was taking out in the late 80's early 90's because of the discrepancy between teams, in short Canada and the US were too good.
Oddly enough, it was the Europeans who wanted to play full-contact.

Prior to the first Women's World Championships in 1990 (where Canada wore the glorious hot pink uniforms), it was typical for the game to be played with full-contact in Europe but no-contact in North America.

The European countries thought that playing full-contact would help even the playing field for them against the more-talented Canada and USA teams.

What they didn't count on was the fact that the Canadian and American women had generally grown up playing on and against boys teams, so they weren't shrinking violets by any means. The Canadian women just physically dominated the rest of the field (outscoring their opponents 50-1 in 3 games in group play).

After that, the rules were changed to disallow body checking: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1990_I...p#Bodychecking
Old 02-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #33
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, back to the original post. Ayumu Hirano is the second best in the world and is 5'3 and 110 pounds.

I have to wonder if he really has a genetic advantage over someone like Lindsey Vonn. I have to think that if someone like Vonn had dedicated herself to half pipe snowboarding from a young age, she'd have a pretty good chance to compete with guys like White and Hirano. I am sure she is stronger than both of them.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:21 AM   #34
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nothing to do with the sex of the participants, but the one thing with snowboarding I kind of dislike is that there still seems to be more emphasis put on the lifestyle of it all, than on pure athleticism.

I was watching the slopestyle the other day, and one of the competitors pants fell down to his knees halfway through his run. Not to get all Grandpa Simpson on it, but you're in the Olympics...get some pants that fit, sonny boy.

I’m sure it would never fly in the culture, but I have a feeling the streamlined suits that skiers wear would give them better mobility and control, and be better in the air as their suits wouldn’t be a giant windsock.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:22 PM   #35
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Mixed doubles curling you could hardly tell a difference between the sexes
There is still a huge difference between John Morris and Kaitlyn Lawes. At the elite level, the reason the women usually throw first and last is those rocks seldom require hitting. You cannot hit on the first rock of the end, no matter whether you have hammer or not. If you have hammer, the male can throw a hit on all three of his rocks. Guys, especially ones built like Morris, are physically stronger than elite, double gold medalists, Lawes.

Just look at the Swiss team that got silver. The female didn't sweep one rock. Literally not one thrown rock. Martin Rios swept both of her rocks, and was beside her for when she threw. On his rocks she'd hold the broom and he'd get up to sweep his own rocks. He was carrying that team and they put the male sweeper vs female sweeper to the extreme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I'd love to see male curlers play the women. That may be the sport where the women would stand the best chance. The men would still prevail, in my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arsenal14 View Post
It wouldn't be close. The men threw the big weight much better and have a huge sweeping advantage. Homan would be lucky to win more than one in ten against Koe. On the other hand, Homan would beat the hell out of my men's team and pretty much every other club team.

I do think that the doubles format would really even the gap though - Homan & Miskew vs. Koe & Kennedy would be pretty close I think. The game just lends itself to rock placement more than the ability to clear rocks.
As Arsenal said, it won't be close. Of course a team like Homan would beat the best male club curlers, and likely many male teams that qualify for provincials but don't make the playoffs. However, if they entered Manitoba's provincial championships on the men's side, they would not come top four. The men's teams are too good, and they are too strong. Sweeping and leg drive out of the hack are not comparable.

I disagree that in doubles it would close the gap. I don't see a team like Homan and Miskew being able to compete with Hebert and Kennedy. There are less hits, but sweeping and fitness are such a huge part of the game. My guess for the best women's team would be Lawes and Joanne Courtney. I think if you are putting the best men's teams together for a doubles event, you'd go pretty far down the line before you'd be able to put the top women's team that would be able to win consistently. Obviously this won't ever be able to be proven, but that's my gut feel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Rachel Homan's team has been one of the best women's curling teams in recent years. Two years ago, they played in a tournament against 9 men's teams.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Elite_10

The played 4 games in the round robin and only won one.
When Homan entered the event many people were saying they could win it. I disagreed. That year they didn't even win their province against women. I was shocked they won one game, but this wasn't a regular bonspiel. The Elite 10 uses a skin's game format, so traditional scoring and game play is not the same. I think this was also the year they were still figuring out brooms, so you could only use one broomhead for the entire bonspiel. This negated a lot of the advantage for the men.

If you put Homan in any grand slam event as the only women's team, they will struggle to win a game. Homan is an absolutely elite women's curling team. They would have a tough time beating any men's team inside the top 20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
squiggs96 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to squiggs96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 12:49 PM   #36
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Nothing to do with the sex of the participants, but the one thing with snowboarding I kind of dislike is that there still seems to be more emphasis put on the lifestyle of it all, than on pure athleticism.

I was watching the slopestyle the other day, and one of the competitors pants fell down to his knees halfway through his run. Not to get all Grandpa Simpson on it, but you're in the Olympics...get some pants that fit, sonny boy.

I’m sure it would never fly in the culture, but I have a feeling the streamlined suits that skiers wear would give them better mobility and control, and be better in the air as their suits wouldn’t be a giant windsock.
Speaking of athleticism, I basically fly into a rage whenever curling is on, which feels like 24/7. There is no danger involved and certainly no athleticism. A curler is certainly not an Olympian IMO. It's absurd this is an Olympic sport and even more absurd how much it's being aired. It feels like watching darts on TV. We should get my wife in there...she's a good little sweeper!
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:12 PM   #37
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
My sister who plays for the Dinos told me they wear cages because women don't typically want to walk around with scars on their faces and missing teeth.

She doesn't understand why they can't hit though.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 PM   #38
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Curling doesnt belong in the Olympics regardless of fricking gender. Create some senior citizen games to put on the seniors channel and stop wasting airtime and bandwidth for that junk.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:35 PM   #39
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Curling doesnt belong in the Olympics regardless of fricking gender. Create some senior citizen games to put on the seniors channel and stop wasting airtime and bandwidth for that junk.
On the list of sports that shouldn't be in the Olympics (summer or winter), curling is far down the list. Summer is packed with events that need to be shot into the sun.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2018, 01:43 PM   #40
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post