Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #401
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gross? Looks pretty standard. I would like to see Tkachuk play with Bennett but I don't blame them for keeping the Backlund line together.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:48 AM   #402
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I just realized our team is exactly the same as where we ended last season. How is that forward group supposed to do any better vs the Ducks? Huge miss by Treliving this off-season. You have to atleast shake a couple of things up. Bring a couple new faces in.

#Flames D pairings today:

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Bartkowski-Stone

Lol....its exactly the same team except Hamonic.
robaur is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robaur For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #403
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Stajan over Jankowski and Bennett with Brouwer.

But Why?

Edit: AND Battkowski still hasn't been shot into the Sun? There is a cancer somewhere in the organization.

Last edited by calgaryblood; 09-24-2017 at 11:55 AM.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:50 AM   #404
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robaur View Post
I just realized our team is exactly the same as where we ended last season. How is that forward group supposed to do any better vs the Ducks? Huge miss by Treliving this off-season. You have to atleast shake a couple of things up. Bring a couple new faces in.
Completely new goalie tandem
New second pairing dman
Expected progress from guys like Sam
Rebound season from Johnny
Possible injection of Janko into the lineup.

No idea how someone could term the off-season a "huge miss" by Tre.
Odd take.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:52 AM   #405
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

There is 1 reason why we were swept by the Ducks, and he has been replaced.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:53 AM   #406
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

#Flames D pairings today:

Giordano-Hamilton
Brodie-Hamonic
Bartkowski-Stone

Lol....its exactly the same team except Hamonic.
Voted the best off-season in at least one column, and in the top 3 in pretty much every column that discussed the issue.

But sure, 'huge miss' is also a take.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 11:54 AM   #407
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bartowski with Stone. Seriously hope this isn't the opening night roster. Bartowski in. Brouwer with Bennett. Stajan over Jankowski. Noooooo.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 11:57 AM   #408
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild GM View Post
Completely new goalie tandem
New second pairing dman
Expected progress from guys like Sam
Rebound season from Johnny
Possible injection of Janko into the lineup.

No idea how someone could term the off-season a "huge miss" by Tre.
Odd take.
Umm its the exact same line combinations except for the addition of Hamonic...I'm talking about the team in front of the goalie.

The change in net is Mike Smith.....I don't care about Eddie Lack...he's not even going to start in the playoffs unless there's injury.

With the addition of Hamonic and Smith - Treliving feels that we would beat the Ducks in a 7 game series?

Anchoring Bennett with Brouwer again is terrible. It's clear they're hoping for him to bounce back. I don't think that's the best move at this point. You should have buried Brouwer and cut your losses.....and then went out and gotten someone else to play with Bennett.

Adding Jankowski to the roster?? How is that a pat on Treliving's back?

The forward group has no new faces other than if Jankowski makes the team which is a massive red flag for me. Don't see how this group got better at 5v5 even-strength scoring in the playoffs...
Old 09-24-2017, 12:00 PM   #409
robaur
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Voted the best off-season in at least one column, and in the top 3 in pretty much every column that discussed the issue.

But sure, 'huge miss' is also a take.
Yes because success of an offseason is based off more than just addition of players. It includes a lot of other things.

Treliving failed to acquire a Top 6 Forward...and that's a real need for this team....more than spending $3.5M on a #5 dman in Stone.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #410
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehatch View Post
Gross:

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...08524997074944

#Flames lines at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
F. Hamilton-Stajan-Lazar

Was to be expected I guess. Really liked Bennett and Gaudreau together so at least that’s in the back pocket if Monahan gets off to a slow start. Brouwer on the 3rd line kinda sucks but he’s in better shape, not injured and probably motivated. If he can get back to being a 20/20 guy that would be huge. Would’ve loved to see Jankowski in the lineup but the only guy he could really bump out would be Stajan, and then he’s getting 8:00 minutes a game as a grinder which isn’t good for him at all.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:02 PM   #411
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Gross:

https://twitter.com/Fan960Steinberg/...08524997074944

#Flames lines at practice:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Ferland
Tkachuk-Backlund-Frolik
Versteeg-Bennett-Brouwer
F. Hamilton-Stajan-Lazar
This is why I think a 45 year old Jagr would make such a big difference for this team.

I would like to see Tkachuk moved to Bennett's line, but I can certainly understand why the coach wouldn't want to touch what was one of the top lines in the league last year.

But that being the case, and with no push from Foo or Poirier, it pretty much leaves Brouwer on Bennett's line. I am not a Brouwer hater, but I think almost everyone would agree that Brouwer on Bennett's line is not an environment where we can expect Bennett to take a big step offensively.

Add Jagr and you get Versteeg - Bennett - Jagr, which is a very good 3rd line that would be able to help the Flames score more goals.

It also puts Brouwer on the 4th line, which makes that line a really solid unit.

And of course, it adds to the overall depth of the team.

That is why I think adding Jagr does so much for the lineup. It changes 2 of the 4 lines for the better, as well as leaving the 2nd line in tact.

This lineup is way better with Jagr added.

(I would also put Jankowski in over Stajan (which I think will happen) and Lazar in over Hamilton, but that is another discussion)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 12:05 PM   #412
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I just realized our team is exactly the same as where we ended last season. How is that forward group supposed to do any better vs the Ducks?.

First of all, this is one pre-season game. You responding to this as though it's the final opening night roster is as odd as it is off base.

Second, the majority of the forward core we rely on is very young, all with room to vastly improve.

Your enduring pessimism know no bounds.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:06 PM   #413
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Freaking out over pre-season practice lines. Okay then
Old 09-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #414
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
No doubt... these aren't the final lines guys. Jankowski went through rookie camp, two Pentiction games, main camp and three preseason games, makes sense he rests. That entire 4th line of Hamilton, Stajan, Lazar might not be on the opening night roster. Would love to see Brouwer down to the 4th, Versteeg flipped back to his natural side and either have Bennet or Janowski at left wing.

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Backlund - Frolik
Janko/Bennett - Bennett/Janko - Versteeg

Still don't like the 4 forwards and one D on the powerplay. We have good talented defence capable of controlling the powerplay, let Hamilton, Gio and Brodie get time. Truly think Hamilton should lead our defense in PP time as well.

Bennett needs to get PP time as well. Would much rather see him for Ferland or Frolik
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:18 PM   #415
kehatch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Don't see anyone doing that, except one chap who seems to hate the Flames roster in general for some reason.

But this does look like a planned opening night roster. Tough to justify Stajan/Lazar/Brouwer/Hamilton in with Jankowski out. I know Hartley is gone (thank God), but if this certainly isn't "Always Earned, Never Given."

But there is still almost two weeks to go, so we will see I guess.
kehatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #416
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Don't see anyone doing that, except one chap who seems to hate the Flames roster in general for some reason.

But this does look like a planned opening night roster. Tough to justify Stajan/Lazar/Brouwer/Hamilton in with Jankowski out. I know Hartley is gone (thank God), but if this certainly isn't "Always Earned, Never Given."

But there is still almost two weeks to go, so we will see I guess.
There are still 3 pre-season games left. Guys are still fighting for jobs.

There is absolutely no reason whatsoever to come to the conclusion you have come to.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #417
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will be very disappointed if Jankowski isn't on the opening day lineup and if Bartkowski is. I get Stajan kills penalties but again if he's keeping Jankowski out of the lieneup something is wrong. He's not that good, everyone here knows that. He's a great team guy but he shouldn't start over Jankowski, time to see what we have in Janko. Every Dman outside of Kulak has outplayed Bartkowski, I really don't get why he's on the team, skates like a headless chicken with zero awareness.

Last edited by Beninho; 09-24-2017 at 12:29 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:28 PM   #418
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brouwer has a strong preseason I wouldn't be opposed to him starting the season as Bennett's RW.. but on a very short leash. Should he falter, I would much rather stick Janko there.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #419
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There are three preseason games left and Jankowski has played three already. Me thinks he gets atleast one more game in, so unless he literally poops his pants in that game he'll be there opening night.

He's a mature, well cooked, ready to play prospect.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:31 PM   #420
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Still don't like the 4 forwards and one D on the powerplay. We have good talented defence capable of controlling the powerplay, let Hamilton, Gio and Brodie get time. Truly think Hamilton should lead our defense in PP time as well.

Bennett needs to get PP time as well. Would much rather see him for Ferland or Frolik
I'm torn on the PP. I feel like Brodie/Versteeg clicked and was a big part of why our PP clicked and became one of the best last year for the final 2/3rds or whatever. It was also lethal in the playoffs with Versteeg being a huge reason why (I can recall he had 1 PPG and 2 primary assists on the PP).

But we also have Gio, Dougie, and Stone who are effective on the PP. I don't think we can tinker with the Brodie/Versteeg combo yet. Adding Ferland to the #1PP makes sense in the mean time.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post: