Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-22-2017, 08:07 AM   #2181
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
"Along with free transit and policing on event nights, the Calgary Flames owners asked for a veto on future Victoria Park developments and a cut of Stampede parking revenue as part of a new arena deal, Metro has learned."

https://www.metronews.ca/news/calgar...g-revenue.html

Will the flames be asking the city for a conscription measure of 18-22 yr olds to fill the usher and concession roles in the new building as well??

No pay of course

Last edited by surferguy; 09-22-2017 at 08:11 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:22 AM   #2182
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames have publicly stated they are done negotiating for a new arena. Then why is Ken King scheduled to meet with the city on Monday?

And since the Flames have said that a privately funded arena isn't viable and they'd require tax breaks, free rent, taxpayer money etc. then perhaps they need to revisit their business model and/or relocate?
Old 09-22-2017, 08:24 AM   #2183
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
The Flames have publicly stated they are done negotiating for a new arena. Then why is Ken King scheduled to meet with the city on Monday?

And since the Flames have said that a privately funded arena isn't viable and they'd require tax breaks, free rent, taxpayer money etc. then perhaps they need to revisit their business model and/or relocate?
Pretty sure he wants a meeting just so he can do this.

NSFW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:27 AM   #2184
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Will the flames be asking the city for a conscription measure of 18-22 yr olds to fill the usher and concession roles in the new building as well??

No pay of course
Flames sure love their volunteers and tax money. You'd almost think they were a charity and we should be thankful they've blessed us with their presence in Calgary.
The Following User Says Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 08:28 AM   #2185
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyman View Post
Jordan Kanygin‏Verified account @CTVJKanygin 1h hour ago
More
Replying to @CTVJKanygin
Extending CRL beyond 20yrs needs legislative change & "would have a significant impact on education tax payers across Alberta" -spokesperson

Jordan Kanygin‏Verified account @CTVJKanygin 1h hour ago
More
Replying to @CTVJKanygin
So, even if the City accepted the #Flames' arena proposal, the CRL funding (and program) may not even exist. #yyc /thread
So basically the funding model the Flames plan hinges on is probably not even possible, and if it is, our education system suffers as a result.

Bake em' away, toys.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:00 AM   #2186
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It seems like which pots of funding and dollars are used are almost irrelevant now that all parties are entrenched and the rich guys seem resolved to teach everyone a lesson about consequences.

I am starting to believe the flames will be gone soon. I think they'll finally let a sun belt team move to quebec to preserve the canadian tv deal and allow the flames owners to sell to Seattle provided there is interest. Bettman is one of the most obtuse people I've ever seen and will go to extremes to prove he is right

All the chatter about how they will never do it will only push guys like bettman and edwards to do it.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:08 AM   #2187
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

As seems to need repetition, the Flames moving is not the most likely end result. The Flames being put up for sale if an arena plan doesn’t go the way CESC wants? Absolutely possible. But the amount of factors at play here are staggeringly high. If you think the BOG is going to approve a move of a profitable team, while other teams struggle, and forego the upcoming expansion fee, then I’d take a step back and re-examine the situation.

No arena deal does not equal the Flames moving, as much as King would like to have you believe. And you better realise that’s EXACTLY what he wants you to believe.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:10 AM   #2188
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I am starting to believe the flames will be gone soon.
Well the good news is that the sloth and incompetence in trying to manage an arena build would probably also translate into how quickly they manage a move. Chances are we'd at least get to watch this current group of Flames play through their Cup window...if there is one.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:23 AM   #2189
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Why do people think this is a Mayoral decision? If Smith wins he remains just one vote on a council opposed to the deal. I wouldn't worry about them pushing through a crappy deal given 99% of the population has no interest in a deal.
The council rejected the Flames proposal unanimously. They don't agree on anything. You would need to win at least 5 of the spots to be able to start to put pressure on the council
Old 09-22-2017, 09:29 AM   #2190
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Well the good news is that the sloth and incompetence in trying to manage an arena build would probably also translate into how quickly they manage a move. Chances are we'd at least get to watch this current group of Flames play through their Cup window...if there is one.
I wonder how Seattle will feel about having to add a field house for the Stampeders.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:40 AM   #2191
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looks like the city responded

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Izzle For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:46 AM   #2192
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yay, pie chart fight!

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Madman For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #2193
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Bettman would probably announce the team is moving when he comes out to hand the cup to Giordano.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:50 AM   #2194
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Okay, so the owners have said that they will work with what they have, why can't people just accept that?
They did want public money, the city said no, they said they can't proceed without it. I am yet to see any model that proves that the Calgary Flames as a business can afford to build and operate a building on their own. They did come off like a spoiled child the way they broke off the negotiations but they were right, the business can't afford it.

No matter how personally rich the owners are, it is the business of the Calgary Flames that has to be able to afford the arena. Calgary is simply not a big enough market for that to happen with the current economic reality. Hopefully this exponential increase in construction costs levels off and the economy in the city of Calgary improves and an arena can be built then.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 09:56 AM   #2195
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Hey I see some of the same things in both proposals! Progress am I right?!?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:01 AM   #2196
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Why do people think this is a Mayoral decision? If Smith wins he remains just one vote on a council opposed to the deal. I wouldn't worry about them pushing through a crappy deal given 99% of the population has no interest in a deal.

Because they hate Nenshi
Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM   #2197
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

A few things on the City's pie charts:
- Counting a green line LRT stop as an "indirect cost" of the new arena is disingenuous. There is going to be a stop at the Stampede Grounds whether or not an arena happens.
-Separating $25 million as "Flames not defined" is likewise rather odd.
- The one area where I agree with the Flames is that "users pay" is more accurately defined as Flames pay. Because prices are going to rise to what the market will bear regardless. The difference is that ticket tax revenue would come out of what would otherwise be HRR for the Flames.
-"Flames ownership pays" should include what the city expects the cost of the lease/rent under their proposal to be.

The City still looks far, far better in this than King and the Flames do, but disingenuous arguments and conveniently hidden costs are starting to seriously creep into their half of the pie chart war.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #2198
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
- Counting a green line LRT stop as an "indirect cost" of the new arena is disingenuous. There is going to be a stop at the Stampede Grounds whether or not an arena happens.
- The one area where I agree with the Flames is that "users pay" is more accurately defined as Flames pay. Because prices are going to rise to what the market will bear regardless. The difference is that ticket tax revenue would come out of what would otherwise be HRR for the Flames.
-"Flames ownership pays" should include what the city expects the cost of the lease/rent under their proposal to be.

The City still looks far, far better in this than King and the Flames do, but disingenuous arguments and conveniently hidden costs are starting to seriously creep into their half of the pie chart war.
In the city’s proposal, the Flames own the building, so there is no rent/lease. Just property tax.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:15 AM   #2199
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I disagree. An arena will certainly require a larger station (capable of serving larger crowds on event nights) which will of course cost more to build.

Now, to a certain extent, the property taxes on the arena contribute to those increased service costs (which is why the Flames should be required to pay property taxes like any other property owner). However, the Flames aren't including increased service and infrastructure costs in the calculation of their contribution, so I don't think there is anything disingenguous about it.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #2200
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

The thing that I fail to understand is how this was even deemed to be going nowhere by CSEC. This is a negotiation and the city is obviously going to cave on some of this stuff (and so they should) just like the Flames will.
Closed Thread