Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-15-2018, 05:25 PM   #1481
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Actually, I was just responding with the literal title of its sequel.

Katamari Damacy is fun because it is absolutely ridiculous from every angle - beyond-strange yet overwhelmingly catchy music, wacky colours and acid trip visual, and simply absurd gameplay. A game where you start rolling up pennies, lunch snacks and ants and soon afterwards you're rolling up trees, buildings, and giraffes. And why are you even rolling? No one knows but you can't stop (except when time runs out). If there were a game about psychedelics... it's this one... Katamari is watching Dr. Strange while doing shrooms. And it had a co op mode for added insanity, though I don't remember if that was just the sequels
The reason is even stranger... you’re rolling a Karamari big enough to plug a hole in space
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 12:29 PM   #1482
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Actually, I was just responding with the literal title of its sequel.

Katamari Damacy is fun because it is absolutely ridiculous from every angle - beyond-strange yet overwhelmingly catchy music, wacky colours and acid trip visual, and simply absurd gameplay. A game where you start rolling up pennies, lunch snacks and ants and soon afterwards you're rolling up trees, buildings, and giraffes. And why are you even rolling? No one knows but you can't stop (except when time runs out). If there were a game about psychedelics... it's this one... Katamari is watching Dr. Strange while doing shrooms. And it had a co op mode for added insanity, though I don't remember if that was just the sequels
Thanks. The art style doesn't really draw me in, but people everywhere seem to be pretty excited about this remaster. It's nice to get a first hand opinion on it. Gives me more reason to look past the superficial.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 11:13 PM   #1483
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nintendo Online Switch is live now.

Seemed pretty smooth. If you get it, you can also order these if it suits your fancy:

https://nesc.nintendo.ca/nintendo-en...em-controllers
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 01:32 AM   #1484
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Signed up for a year and ordered the controllers. The app seems pretty cool - jump into a bunch of classic games at the touch of a button.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:03 PM   #1485
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

The games are not impressive, $24.99 for the year for Online gameplay and Cloud Backup is fair though.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 12:32 PM   #1486
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want the controllers but at the same time don't really think I'll use them....but think I still want them.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 07:53 PM   #1487
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm keen to play this game, but I don't really like the idea of having a bunch of physical ship parts sitting around my living room, or having to buy more and more parts. I really hope there's an option to just play the game without any peripherals.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 07:19 AM   #1488
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

For anyone interested, Mario Party Switch comes out today. It’s getting good reviews. Seems like the series is making a recovery from the last two. Can’t wait to give it a try.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stampsx2 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2018, 08:30 AM   #1489
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
For anyone interested, Mario Party Switch comes out today. It’s getting good reviews. Seems like the series is making a recovery from the last two. Can’t wait to give it a try.
I've got a kid, nieces, and plenty of grown up friend and family who like to play games like this, so this one is an automatic purchase.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 04:11 PM   #1490
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just grabbed it, waiting for wife to come home to fire it up. Our kids are late teens, they are still pumped for some Mario Party. I watched a few preview videos, definitely looks like some fun to be had.

As an aside, buying from Best Buy was absurdly annoying. Walk in and proceed to gaming section at the back corner of the store. Scan the whole Switch game section, no sign of it. Huh, maybe it is back at the front with the new releases. Walk back, nope not there. Lots of staff, all avoiding eye contact at all costs. Walk back to the gaming section, wander through the whole thing. Find Mario Party on an end cap, 2' off the ground, in the Xbox section. Take empty box back up to registers at the front of the store. Watch as they send a staff member all the way back to the gaming section to get the actual game, because heaven forbid they keep them where people are paying for them.

Oh Amazon, I'll never stray from you again.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2018, 05:10 PM   #1491
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked it up this morning, played a little bit while AC Odyssey installed. Seems really fun! I played some online mini game competition that I’ll probably spend way more time with than adult should. Gonna try the regular modes with the wife later tonight.

A really nice touch is having the ‘practice’ for mini games just be in the screen that’s explaining it, then everybody readies up when they’re ready to go.

Last edited by OutOfTheCube; 10-05-2018 at 08:32 PM.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:12 AM   #1492
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Played a couple of hours last night of the board game mode and the river rafting. Already see us playing another few hours today, was a good pickup ahead of a mostly free long weekend.

We played for a bit with a system 4th character in board game. Was pretty balanced on Standard mode. Mini-games so far have been fairly achievable, we S-Leveled about half for them on the river raft.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #1493
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

I only had time to play a few hours so far but I can already see this as being the best Mario party to date. Love the new ideas, the graphics, the usability. My only complaint is there’s too much of a storyline. I just want to have fun playing the game. Like Mario kart, no story, just racing.

All in all, really fun.
Old 10-09-2018, 12:14 PM   #1494
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

My only beef so far is it seems to make you use only half a joy-con each? You can't use a "regular" controller if you want to. Sucks for the person with the thumb-stick moved over a bit.
Old 10-11-2018, 12:11 PM   #1495
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Played the team version last night with my wife and she loved it. We enjoyed playing the prior versions and tended to work together so one of us would win over the computer players, but actually being on the same team made it much better. It was a little tough to learn at first, but it's a nice addition.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:24 PM   #1496
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Loving the Mario Party mini-games so far, but forgot how painful the board game mode is, every turn seems to to 1-1.5 minutes, so you get 5 minutes of dull gameplay based entirely on luck for every 30 seconds of mini-game fun. You can win every mini game and still lose, utter madness.

Haven't tried out any of the game modes yet, but remain optimistic there's a few more good ones.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 06:48 AM   #1497
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
Loving the Mario Party mini-games so far, but forgot how painful the board game mode is, every turn seems to to 1-1.5 minutes, so you get 5 minutes of dull gameplay based entirely on luck for every 30 seconds of mini-game fun. You can win every mini game and still lose, utter madness.

Haven't tried out any of the game modes yet, but remain optimistic there's a few more good ones.
Try the river rafting one. Really fun the whole time and you miss the boring dice rolls that you don’t like.
Old 10-24-2018, 11:28 AM   #1498
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks to be a fairly credible-ish leak of the remaining Smash Ultimate characters going around. Putting in spoilers in case you don't want to see:

Spoiler!

Some big threads on Reddit talking about it and corroborating it.
Old 10-24-2018, 05:37 PM   #1499
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Ken? Of all the characters from Street Fighter, they use a palette swap of a character already in Smash?

I doubt Golden Sun is coming back - though would love to be wrong - so using a character from a dead series doesn't really strike me is all that great either.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 05:46 PM   #1500
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ken? Of all the characters from Street Fighter, they use a palette swap of a character already in Smash?

I doubt Golden Sun is coming back - though would love to be wrong - so using a character from a dead series doesn't really strike me is all that great either.
As soon as they introduced the 'Echo' characters, Ken became extremely likely.