Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-10-2013, 10:19 AM   #321
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

As per this 2010 article, Emirates was pushing for a Calgary-Dubai nonstop flight. What became of that?

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/repor...rticle4388369/
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #322
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I'm really really hoping that Air Canada does the same for the YQY-YHZ route. Makes no sense that they only fly the Dash 8-100 on the route. They're always full and cost an arm and a leg to fly (well I know why, limit quantity supplied to artificially increase price).

I'd love to see the less than an hour flight cost less than a flight to Europe.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #323
Kavvy
Self Imposed Exile

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
As per this 2010 article, Emirates was pushing for a Calgary-Dubai nonstop flight. What became of that?

I think this

Quote:
In 1999 Canada and the United Arab Emirates signed their first air agreement, under which Emirati airliners would be allowed to fly into Canada six times a week. In October 2007 Emirates began offering three flights a week between Toronto and Dubai; soon after this it began requesting that Canada allow increased flights to the country as part of an expansion plan to service increased demand between Canada and the UAE, citing the 27,000 Canadians residing in the UAE and important trade relationships between the two countries, Canada's largest trade partner in the Middle East.

Negotiations between the two countries occurred for several years, but resulted in little to no progress. In June 2010, an agreement for the Canadian military to use a UAE military base to service its operations in Afghanistan expired. The UAE granted a three month extension of the military base lease, but further talks stalled and the agreement was not renewed after again expiring in October.

In November it was reported that although Air Canada objected to any increased service to Canadian destinations, Canada was prepared to offer more landing slots at Calgary and Vancouver. The UAE wasn't satisfied with anything less than more flights to Toronto, however.[5] It was also reported that Canada's offers included a capacity cut instead of a capacity increase, meaning that the offers were of little value to the UAE and UAE negotiators were accordingly offended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada%...iation_dispute
Kavvy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kavvy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2013, 03:13 PM   #324
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Emirates thing comes up every now and then. Simply put, what Emirates really wants is daily rights into Toronto, they are dangling YYC and YVR service as a carrot to get what they really want.

Also keep in mind Emirates wasn't happy with the 6x agreement between the governments, and as they waited Abu Dhabi based Etihad snapped up 3 of those flights. Only then did Emirates take the remaining 3.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:31 PM   #325
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm

Last edited by sa226; 02-10-2013 at 03:33 PM.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #326
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
I'm really really hoping that Air Canada does the same for the YQY-YHZ route. Makes no sense that they only fly the Dash 8-100 on the route. They're always full and cost an arm and a leg to fly (well I know why, limit quantity supplied to artificially increase price).

This is just ones guys opinion, but I don't think you will see anything like that in a long time.

Air Canada has shown that they have little interest in anything other than feeding their major international routes.

As well with limited numbers of Q400s available at this time they are discovering that the west is very very busy and they are not only sending the new Q400s west but shifting some of the airframes from east to west. Out east they just aren't as full on certain routes.

Price wise, you are subject to the joys of a route monopoly. Your best bet is if a competitor decides to try their luck.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #327
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
This is just ones guys opinion, but I don't think you will see anything like that in a long time.

Air Canada has shown that they have little interest in anything other than feeding their major international routes.

As well with limited numbers of Q400s available at this time they are discovering that the west is very very busy and they are not only sending the new Q400s west but shifting some of the airframes from east to west. Out east they just aren't as full on certain routes.

Price wise, you are subject to the joys of a route monopoly. Your best bet is if a competitor decides to try their luck.
Oh I know exactly how it works. I'd assume that WestJet would want to capitalize on a profitable route, which would in turn cause AC to react. The exact same reason they upgraded the YYC-Grand Prarie route.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:37 PM   #328
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
No kidding. For the amount it costs if just one of us was to fly to northern Alberta where my in-laws live, we could fly to the UK. Depending on the sales we could find the last time we checked it out, 2 of us could fly to the UK for the price one of us could fly up north. So we drive. 13 hours. Woot.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 01:41 AM   #329
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nm.

Last edited by Ryan Coke; 02-11-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #330
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post

Emirates wants Canada to be bent over like they have bent the EU and Australia over (the only difference is Canada doesnt need its oil so it doesnt need to kiss its a$$).

The simple facts are that there is very little O/D (originating/destination) traffic between Canada and the UAE. What the UAE (specifically Emirates) wants is to route passengers from the ME (specifically India) through DXB and fly them to Canada.

From Canada's perspective there is more than enough ways for passengers to get to from DXB to Canada without adding another route which would cannibalize any possible future direct routing between Canada and India (other countries as well but specifically India).
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mykalberta For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 07:32 AM   #331
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like Delta is going to take another shot at flying Atlanta-YYC. It appears to be a 1x weekly summer service, operating on Saturday's from June 22 to August 31:

Operated by a 737-800

Dep YYC: 1:20pm
Arr ATL: 7:33pm

Dep ATL: 9:50am
Arr YYC: 12:22pm
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 02-19-2013, 07:38 AM   #332
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I make that trek a couple times a year - will be interesting to see how well it does and if they expand on it. (as those flight times really aren't the greatest)

With so many options on how to get down there currently, it's going to be hard to see how a single flight like that will be successful.
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 07:50 AM   #333
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed Madman, since it is only a 1x weekly service I think they may just be trying for the vacation crowd that wants to come out to the mountains here. Now if the route was announced as a daily flight it would definitely be seen as a more aggressive move to build what could eventually become a year round flight.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #334
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had no idea that Atlanta was a destination of choice for YYC travelers.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 AM   #335
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

The big thing is it's a major hub for Delta.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:15 AM   #336
billybob123
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Problem is that arrival time in ATL. (and departure on the return)

Minimum connect time in Atlanta for "Domestic" to International is 40 minutes, so the earliest connection flights leave after 8:13, which gives lots of east cost flights but very few international flights. I'm assuming they're not looking for a ton of connecting traffic on these flights.

One international that might get a lot of traffic is Dubai.

(domestic outbound can connect to Las Vegas. There's a mileage run if I've ever seen one!)

EDIT: actually several South American departures as well. Could be a good option other than AA or UA.

Last edited by billybob123; 02-19-2013 at 09:27 AM.
billybob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:45 AM   #337
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
Looks like Delta is going to take another shot at flying Atlanta-YYC. It appears to be a 1x weekly summer service, operating on Saturday's from June 22 to August 31:

Operated by a 737-800

Dep YYC: 1:20pm
Arr ATL: 7:33pm

Dep ATL: 9:50am
Arr YYC: 12:22pm
Interesting. I've been using Delta more and more lately, and have been pretty happy with them. A daily flight to Atlanta would be great, to access the mother of all hubs, but those times don't do much for a Calgary originating traveller, imo, especially one who would likely be connecting through Atlanta.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 AM   #338
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant see ATL being very popular as it doesnt add anything significant (other than some small SE USA cities) that you cant get to from other Cities with direct connections to Calgary liked ORD, MSP, DTW, DFW, and IAH.

Its really too far East for any decent connections and you arent likely to fly to Europe through ATL unless you were to get a smoking crazy deal. Their SA market is terrible compared to United via IAH and American via DFW.

I am surprised there are no direct yearly Miami flights, with the new partnership of Westjet and AA I wouldnt be surprised to see a direct Calgary-Miamia routing. In a few years I can easily see WJ adding YYC and YVR as direct Miami routes to compliment AAs hub in MIA
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:00 AM   #339
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really do think the Delta ATL summer flight is for tourists wanting to come up here, with YYC being the gateway to the Canadian Rocky's and all. Delta also operates similar flights from ATL to Billings, Montana.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:17 AM   #340
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
I cant see ATL being very popular as it doesnt add anything significant (other than some small SE USA cities) that you cant get to from other Cities with direct connections to Calgary liked ORD, MSP, DTW, DFW, and IAH.

Its really too far East for any decent connections and you arent likely to fly to Europe through ATL unless you were to get a smoking crazy deal. Their SA market is terrible compared to United via IAH and American via DFW.
Biggest benefits would be competition related. I'd love to see another option to their various S. American destinations served from Atlanta.

Also, they would be the best option to some African destinations (Lagos and Johannesburg) and would provide more competition/access to the carribean, which can be hard to get to from Calgary on a scheduled carrier if you're going somewhere specific, usually either two stops or an Air Canada monopoly fare.

I would certainly prefer a non-stop to Miami on AA, maybe after their bankruptcy. (Using westjet to connect into the US is something I'll probably never do again)
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc