Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #181
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Looking good, Calgary.

Hopefully the next time I fly out of YYC, the Harvey's wont be closed for renovations and I won't be forced to eat lousy Air Canada food!

What's the new terminal designed for? International flights, I assume?
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #182
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post
Looking good, Calgary.

Hopefully the next time I fly out of YYC, the Harvey's wont be closed for renovations and I won't be forced to eat lousy Air Canada food!

What's the new terminal designed for? International flights, I assume?
International and Trans-border (USA) flights, although I think we'll see some domestic operations out of it as they renovate piers of the current terminal.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #183
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
International and Trans-border (USA) flights, although I think we'll see some domestic operations out of it as they renovate piers of the current terminal.
so will we see a lot more direct flights to international destinations? having to go through Vancouver or Toronto for anything overseas is a pain in the ass
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #184
Notorious Honey Badger
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any word on inspiration they used for the airport? Is it fancy like the new Winnipeg airport?
Notorious Honey Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #185
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't say yes or no, just getting a new terminal won't magically make new non-stop flights show up. I know the Airport Authority keeps talking up how this terminal and new runway will make more non-stop flights to places like Asia a reality, but the truth is if Calgary could support more of those flights we would already have them.

For a city our size we are extremely well connected internationally (especially when you compare to some equivalent cities in the US like Denver). Non-stops to London (AC & BA), Frankfurt (AC), Amsterdam (KLM), Tokyo-Narita (AC), and all the American flights are pretty impressive for a city of 1.2M.
Old 08-13-2012, 03:21 PM   #186
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskflames96 View Post

Yeah...that Harvey's is now a Burger King.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #187
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psicodude View Post
Yeah...that Harvey's is now a Burger King.

http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GreatWhiteEbola For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #188
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can't say yes or no, just getting a new terminal won't magically make new non-stop flights show up. I know the Airport Authority keeps talking up how this terminal and new runway will make more non-stop flights to places like Asia a reality, but the truth is if Calgary could support more of those flights we would already have them.

For a city our size we are extremely well connected internationally (especially when you compare to some equivalent cities in the US like Denver). Non-stops to London (AC & BA), Frankfurt (AC), Amsterdam (KLM), Tokyo-Narita (AC), and all the American flights are pretty impressive for a city of 1.2M.
I think I understand what you mean, but I just want to confirm, you're talking about Calgary not being able to support these flights from a customer demand perspective, not from an airport capacity/infrastructure perspective, right?
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:36 PM   #189
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Soo... what's the new terminal for then?
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:02 PM   #190
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Soo... what's the new terminal for then?
Future growth, nicer facilities for international and US traffic (easily the ugliest part of the terminal currently). Also, to some extent, keep up with (and stay ahead of) the Joneses.

Perhaps the CAA could have phased it so they didn't have to build so much off the bat, but it would probably feel pieced together then. essentially, they are building 20-30 years of expansion all at once.
You Need a Thneed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 04:04 PM   #191
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Also, Mammoet is dismantling the massive mobile crane for this morning's lift right now. The crane that they are using to dismantle the lifting crane is quite large itself. It looks like the boom has to come off the big crane just for it to be able to drive.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #192
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I think I understand what you mean, but I just want to confirm, you're talking about Calgary not being able to support these flights from a customer demand perspective, not from an airport capacity/infrastructure perspective, right?
Correct, the current airport does have the capacity/infrastructure (although the runways are pretty bloody busy, hence the real reason for the new parallel) to accommodate more international flights. We are a secondary hub that definitely punches above our weight, which is impressive, but may leave little room for new international destinations (at this time).
Old 08-13-2012, 06:46 PM   #193
Flames in 07
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
Future growth, nicer facilities for international and US traffic (easily the ugliest part of the terminal currently). Also, to some extent, keep up with (and stay ahead of) the Joneses.

Perhaps the CAA could have phased it so they didn't have to build so much off the bat, but it would probably feel pieced together then. essentially, they are building 20-30 years of expansion all at once.
For real? we don't even need to expand?

pages and pages of venom about if any level of gov't drops a dime into a new rink, but this is ok?
Flames in 07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:48 PM   #194
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post

pages and pages of venom about if any level of gov't drops a dime into a new rink, but this is ok?
No levels of government are paying a cent for any of this work. If they were, outrage would probably be deserved.
Old 08-13-2012, 06:59 PM   #195
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames in 07 View Post

I wouldn't say that there was no need for expansion. For a while, the airport had planned a large expansion of the existing b/c pier for a while. That area definately is in need of upgrading, to bring it up to a level similar to the other piers. I think the airport is just building 20-30 years of expansion all at once. Is that better or worse than incremental expansion? That I can't answer, but they would definitely spend more money building the same thing incrementally over 20 years than building it all at once.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #196
saskflames69
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

While your airport did seem a bit dated, especially in the US departures zone like YNaT mentioned, there was nothing wrong with it.

Good for you guys. A city like Calgary deserves a world class airport.

Saskatoon's airport is getting a bit of a facelift/expansion as well, although it's nothing like what Calgary is receiving. The main goal is to accommodate larger planes, so it should mean more direct flights to places like Vancouver, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Chicago, etc instead of connecting in Calgary/Edmonton/Winnipeg/Minneapolis every time. I believe there is only one year-round Air Canada (non-Jazz/Express) flight serving the city. The rest is all seasonal routes, regional airlines, charter flights or WestJet.

I love airports.
Connor Zary will win the Hart Trophy in 2027.
saskflames69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #197
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

i thought Calgary had one of the nicest airports in the country, then i had to fly through Vancouver. i hate giving any part of that city credit, but that is one damn beautiful airport. we still kick Toronto's ass though
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:58 PM   #198
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I don't fly nearly as often as I'd like. That said I was a fan of YYC the few times I've been through it. I like that it was fairly simple, and I could easily walk around to look at planes etc.

That said my memories are fuzzy, and last time (which was 4 years ago?) I just connected through.

I will give a shout out to my hometown airports. Stanfield in Halifax is amazing for it's size. Three or four bars in it (I don't recall now) you can buy live Lobster to take on the plane with you, plus the observation deck, sweet Moses their observation desk is Amazing!

McCurdy in Sydney is a small airport that people around here like to rag on because it's not a huge international airport. However, it has a restaurant that is second to none, a nice viewing area to see the tarmac, they're renovating to add more gate space and expand the small secured area. My only real gripe is that there are no jetways, which isn't uncommon for a small regional airport. In fact jetways would destroy the picture Window views of the tarmac from luggage claim. Although with how the traffic is spiking there, they may not be too far off.

I've searched but couldn't find anything. Does anyone know if Toronto City Centre has jetways? Or, London City Centre? I'm curious how airports that handle similar sized aircraft that YQY does

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #199
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
i thought Calgary had one of the nicest airports in the country, then i had to fly through Vancouver. i hate giving any part of that city credit, but that is one damn beautiful airport.
Thank you!
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 08:13 PM   #200
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

There are some giant roof trusses up at the new terminal already. In addition to the 6 tower cranes, they have a large crawler crane on site to lift those large trusses into place.

Tags
go flames go , say no to yeg , tunnel of death , yyc