Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2020, 10:33 AM   #2441
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The charger thing is whatever to me.

No 120hrz screen is a bigger deal. 5G seems unnecessary seeing I am in my house almost all the time. Plus 4G is totally fine.

Better camera is intriguing but is it worth the cost.

Form factor is interesting but still the notch.

Bottom line I put a new battery in my iPhone X and waiting another year. They even replaced the screen for free. All for $89

Next year will have the features I want. So no biggie waiting.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #2442
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No one talking about the iphone line up?

Apple will no longer include a charging cable, especially important now that they've moved to USB C or whatever, they also aren't including headphones anymore. They're doing it for the environment though (seriously they said this), not to squeeze every last penny out of consumers. Oh and the new 12 pro is like a million dollars or something.
Did anyone really ever use their wired headphones? While packing to move a few weeks ago I found two sets of those that were still in the packaging and never used in our computer desk.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 10:44 AM   #2443
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Did anyone really ever use their wired headphones? While packing to move a few weeks ago I found two sets of those that were still in the packaging and never used in our computer desk.
I'd say the majority of people I see have white headphones, so anecdotally, yes they did.

You'd think for $1600USD they could throw in some airpods and a cable.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #2444
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
The charger thing is whatever to me.

No 120hrz screen is a bigger deal. 5G seems unnecessary seeing I am in my house almost all the time. Plus 4G is totally fine.

Better camera is intriguing but is it worth the cost.

Form factor is interesting but still the notch.

Bottom line I put a new battery in my iPhone X and waiting another year. They even replaced the screen for free. All for $89

Next year will have the features I want. So no biggie waiting.
How did you get the free screen replacement!? Apple care or something?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:40 AM   #2445
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
How did you get the free screen replacement!? Apple care or something?
If you have a launch date iPhone X, Apple is replacing the screen for free as they manufacture it differently now. That is what I was told. They also replace the speaker.

I went in for battery change and they told me that.

Must be that replacing the battery broke the screen, and the new screens allow for future replacement with damage. Just a guess, but my current phone is in basically new condition now.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 11:47 AM   #2446
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had my launch X battery start bulging in August, they gave me a refurb handset for the cost of the battery repair. Super nice of them, but now I don't have any urge to upgrade. I wouldn't mind a 12 Pro, but $1,500 in my pocket makes more sense than a 5G phone with no 5G coverage. Every year the buzz around the new launches seems less and less.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 11:59 AM   #2447
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd say the majority of people I see have white headphones, so anecdotally, yes they did.

You'd think for $1600USD they could throw in some airpods and a cable.
The trick is to not pay $1600USD for a phone, then you don't have to worry about this stuff. I'm kinda with Apple though, a lot of that stuff is just waste anyway. Perhaps they should give you the option of having it included or excluded when you order, and have each item at half price.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:09 PM   #2448
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
Every year the buzz around the new launches seems less and less.
Yeah, they have lots of decent evolutions, but these days nothing is new or enticing enough to force an upgrade before it's needed...especially at the cost. I have an iPhone 8 Plus, and it's just fine. I'm riding this thing till it dies.
Table 5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:24 PM   #2449
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Yeah, getting a new phone used to be so awesome. Now you get one and if it's only been a couple years since your last phone it's pretty unexciting.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 12:27 PM   #2450
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. I usually use my phone till I really need an upgrade. I had an iPhone 6s which I upgraded for an 11. I'll probably wait 3 more years before I get a new one again. Can't justify spending 1500 dollars every couple of years for minimal upgrades.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #2451
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
No one talking about the iphone line up?

Apple will no longer include a charging cable, especially important now that they've moved to USB C or whatever, they also aren't including headphones anymore. They're doing it for the environment though (seriously they said this), not to squeeze every last penny out of consumers. Oh and the new 12 pro is like a million dollars or something.
They’re including a cable (Lightning to USB C) but not a charger. It’s obviously a cost-cutting measure but I think most people have a charger already so it is good to see less wasteful plastic being produced.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 01:35 PM   #2452
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Yeah, they have lots of decent evolutions, but these days nothing is new or enticing enough to force an upgrade before it's needed...especially at the cost. I have an iPhone 8 Plus, and it's just fine. I'm riding this thing till it dies.
I think the last evolutionary phone was a iPhone X three years ago.

Problem is they put a desktop level processor in it (like your 8 plus), so it can run anything very fast still including iOS14.

Plus developers are still building for lowest common denominator processing wise. iPhone 7 I believe.

Even next year the iPhone X/8 will still be perfectly fine unless they start getting sneaky and intentionally slowing phones down. Which I doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 01:52 PM   #2453
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I upgraded from my iPhone 5 (don’t judge me) to the XR in December. I don’t jump on the shiny new things so I keep stuff for a long time (phones, cars, house, furniture, wife).
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-14-2020, 08:26 PM   #2454
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been with iPhones since 2013, and while I held on the 5 until 2018, and move to the 7 then, I really don't see the benefit of upgrading to the newest every year at their crazy price tag. I love the iPhone over the Androids, but I'm not fanboy foolish to fall into their marketing trap. Each year the upgrades seem to be less newsworthy, with something really key lacking which makes me want to wait until the following year. IR should be a gamechanger for measuring surroundings for home upgrades or virtually trying clothing or something, but it's probably still two years away, so why bother upgrading? They really need to entice people better. The industry has become very incremental. I hypothetically wonder if Jobs were still in, where they would be as a revolutionary company today?
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 08:55 PM   #2455
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
They’re including a cable (Lightning to USB C) but not a charger. It’s obviously a cost-cutting measure but I think most people have a charger already so it is good to see less wasteful plastic being produced.

USB C doesn’t work with the old chargers. They’re doing nothing for the environment. This is a cash grab plain and simple.

And their high speed USB c chargers are ####ing pricy. $60. Over twice the price of their old ones ($25).
Old 10-14-2020, 09:15 PM   #2456
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
USB C doesn’t work with the old chargers. They’re doing nothing for the environment. This is a cash grab plain and simple.

And their high speed USB c chargers are ####ing pricy. $60. Over twice the price of their old ones ($25).
If you have the old charger you probably have the old cable which will work with the new phones. It's probably a small percentage of buyers who will need to spend more money to charge the thing.

It is a bull#### excuse to remove it but it will have a positive effect.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2020, 09:17 PM   #2457
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

True but then you’re stuck with slow ass charging.
Old 10-14-2020, 09:45 PM   #2458
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Few options, usb b to c converter is $12.

USB C Chargers on Amazon are $20 for 18W one, which will charge in half the time of the 5W one Apple normally includes. You can spend $10 more and get a 30W charger for 30 min full charge.

So Min/Max you are out $12-$30. Me would be $0 because I have a charge pad, and about 12 chargers and cables.

Reminds me of the switch to lightning, and the headphone debacles. Made sense long run.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:40 AM   #2459
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just read this as well...

5G is basically useless in Canada, with no mmWave available (the super fast 5G band) and our 4G being very good. Even when mmWave does come, your 18-24 month old Canadian iPhone won't even support it.

So don't buy one based on 5G if your in Canada.

https://www.iphoneincanada.ca/news/i...ported-canada/
Old 10-15-2020, 08:45 AM   #2460
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I haven't plugged my phone in to charge in six years. I have a wireless charger beside my bed, one in the kitchen, one on my desk and one in my travel kit. The days of needing a charger with every new phone you buy are long gone.

Obviously it's the epitome of naïve to think Apple is actually doing this for the environment, though.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote