Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2019, 04:54 PM   #1781
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

...and now he doesn't have a headset to yell into or a PS4 to play on.

Right?
Old 11-09-2019, 04:59 PM   #1782
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
...and now he doesn't have a headset to yell into or a PS4 to play on.

Right?
Ummm... well he did cease the yelling and I thought he played that pretty well considering he is 8. Plus I only get him on weekends so he gets a bit of leeway. I guarantee his mom would have done that but she is the evil parent. Seriously, she is evil.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:07 PM   #1783
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you don't want to look like the bad guy just go turn off the router for a bit.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #1784
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If you don't want to look like the bad guy just go turn off the router for a bit.
I will be bailed out by his bedtime shortly anyhow.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 03:27 PM   #1785
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Here's a full delivery in the game from start to finish

I still had no idea WTF was going on after watching that, so I read the synopsis on Wikipedia and it just sounds ridiculous. It'll be a pass from me
Classic Kojima - though he is slowly increasing the level of weirdness with every successive release...

Metal Gear 5 had moments of absolutely brilliance, but also weird parts i had no interest in...never finished the game, but enjoyed 85% of it.

Death Stranding sounds like a walking simulator...eventually, i'll pick it up, but only when its in the Greatest Hits bin...

Outer Worlds on the other hand is going to be my Christmas Holiday game... FallOut:NV was one of my favorite games ever, so looking forward to Outer Worlds
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:11 PM   #1786
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

Does anyone here play 7 days to die it Is one of my favorite games atm
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:17 PM   #1787
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kojima definitely comes off as a pretentious ###### more often than not, but these comments about Death Stranding criticism take it to a new level. This dude seriously thinks his game is some revolutionary new higher art form or something.

Quote:
I must say that the game received rave reviews, especially in Europe and Japan. Here in the United States, however, we have had stronger criticisms. Perhaps it is a difficult game to understand for a certain type of critic and audience. Americans are great fans of first-person shooters and Death Stranding isn't one, it flies higher.

I always try to create new things and disputes and discussions are fine, but it must be said that the Italians or the French have a different artistic sensibility that allows them to appreciate this kind of very original product, not only in video games but also in cinema.
Maybe it's getting criticized because it's not a very good game?

https://wccftech.com/kojima-death-st...bove-shooters/
codynw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 06:41 PM   #1788
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post
Kojima definitely comes off as a pretentious ###### more often than not, but these comments about Death Stranding criticism take it to a new level. This dude seriously thinks his game is some revolutionary new higher art form or something.

Kojima is a pretentious #######. There are plenty of well reviewed games in the west that aren't first person shooters such as Journey, Gone Home, What Remains of Edith Finch... I could go on. The guy is so far up his own ass. Maybe the game just isn't good dude.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:42 PM   #1789
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

You forgot the biggest part of making a game Kojima.

The gameplay
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 10:30 AM   #1790
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ok...RDR2...I have a ton of pamphlets in my satchel. What do you do with them when you've read them? They are taking up a lot of space.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2019, 11:20 AM   #1791
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I beat Outer Worlds. Pretty much just binged through it. In brief, excellent game, very Obsidian, very New Vegas like, but more polished. There were a few visual glitches but nothing too crazy. I encountered one bug that would have been horribly game breaking in the last hour of the game but thankfully there was another way to deal with it.
Spoiler!

Basically, this is what Bethesda's games should be like in terms of story and quest structure. There isn't just one way to resolve any conflict or issue. In fact, there are usually at least three or four. It's not clear to me if it would have been possible to get through the game without killing anyone, but it would certainly be possible to do most of it without killing anyone. That optionality and variety of outcomes is the whole reason for playing this type of title and it immediately makes it worthwhile, where Fallout 4 was not. That said, I would have preferred some more gray area in the main story quest - it's pretty obvious who's good and who's awful, even if they have understandable motivations. There was a bit more gray in the local storylines (which faction in locale X do you support) but even there, it wasn't too tough to tell what the likely outcomes of your decisions were going to be. That reduces replayability because I also know pretty much what's going to happen if I go through and do the opposite of what I did.

I will say that the combat was super easy on normal difficulty, and I'm not even a FPS guy, so step up the difficulty if you want that to be more of a challenge. The bullet-time ability that you get throughout the game just makes it really easy to headshot guys and by the end of it, even large-scale skirmishes were pretty much a joke. All told, it took me a bit less than 30 hours on normal, doing every side quest but not all of the "errands" (fetch quests). Combat was... fine. Again, quite reminiscent of New Vegas. This is the first game I've played on a PC with a mouse and keyboard in a while, and it's very similar to what I remember but kind of jarring coming from the console games I've played - things like Horizon or Witcher or God of War are fluid, epic combat experiences that I think I prefer to this, honestly. But again, I've never been big on the FPS style. One of the other issues is that I ended up using the same three NPCs more or less all the time because of their combat abilities and the stat boosts I got from them. The companions you enlist were fine, all quite well acted, but I didn't really find any of them to be super interesting characters. I'd have preferred more of an arc for each of them and more of a reason to spend time traveling with and getting invested in them (the Mass Effect series did a great job of this).

All in all a very good game that's for pretty much everyone. I cannot think of anyone who wouldn't have a good time with it. The writing is clever and irreverent. Gameplay is good and not very buggy. Story is pretty straightforward, but it all makes sense and your choices matter. I think one review I saw titled it "Great at being Good", and I think that sums it up quite well. I say buy it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 07:05 AM   #1792
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by codynw View Post

Anyone that's a played a MGS game knows that one of his games will be heavily story driven and really weird. It just seems like as time has gone on he's ramped up the weirdness and the gameplay has become somewhat less relevant to the experience. I've seen enough videos of this that to me at least it appears to be more of an interactive experience than a game itself. If you are reviewing a game for a video game website you are kind of doing your audience a disservice overlooking major gameplay shortcomings because of an artsy story.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 10:44 AM   #1793
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

death stranding is one of the best games ive ever played, but its not for everyone

if you liked just running around exploring stuff in botw then you'll really like ds i recon.

i'll elaborate a bit: in this game, much like in botw(for me anyways), the actual fun part of the game was seeing a place on the map and getting there, the journey to exploring is fun in and of itself. if you prefer a game with more traditional gameplay elements(like fighting and stuff) then you will probably not like this game. if you like to soak up the atmosphere and travel then it is incredibly rewarding to safely mountaineer your cargo through a rocky passage where you need to keep balance

the common joke about this game is that it's a hiking simulator...well, it kind of is, thats pretty much the point. if you see 30 real minutes condensed into a 10 second gif into watching a guy walk up a mountain then its missing the nuance of trying to stay balanced, plotting the best way to get up said hill, the mini problem solving on how to get around certain obstacles, and just basking in the breathtaking virtual scenery. its not for everyone, but if you enjoy exploration for the sake of exploration, this game is another level of fantastic

Last edited by stone hands; 11-12-2019 at 11:21 AM.
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 11:37 AM   #1794
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

My copy is in the mail and I'm still not sure if, once it arrives, I should keep it or return it and wait for a day when it's on sale.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 12:35 PM   #1795
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that's not only not for everyone, that's not for very many people at all. Certainly not on this board.

Frankly, we live next to the Rocky Mountains. If I wanted to actually take in breathtaking visual scenery while plotting my path up a mountain I don't need a game to provide me with a less immersive version of that experience.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #1796
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

well i dont have the balls or endurance to free climb up a sheer rockface even tho i live an hour away from the mountains, so death stranding will have to do for me
Old 11-12-2019, 12:51 PM   #1797
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Yeah, that's not only not for everyone, that's not for very many people at all. Certainly not on this board.

Frankly, we live next to the Rocky Mountains. If I wanted to actually take in breathtaking visual scenery while plotting my path up a mountain I don't need a game to provide me with a less immersive version of that experience.
I was going to post something similar. Part of the reason most of us play video games is for the escape. I don't get wield powers, weapons, be a badass, fly ships, etc in real life so games fill that void. I don't see the allure of a hiking simulator especially in Calgary when we are so close to being able to do the real thing. I get that it provides a level of realism on your screen but I always find that no matter how pretty a game is that you tend to care pretty graphics less if the game itself isn't fun or compelling. That said if some people like stone hands enjoy this type of game I can't fault them for it as people like different things. I just don't care for the take that the only reason a lot of people don't like it is because it's not a shooter as that's a little overly simplistic. The success of Portal 2 is proof that North Americans will play games that aren't shooters providing the game itself is actually fun. Simulators are kind of a niche genre so it's a bit of a stretch to assume the masses would all love a game like this.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 11-12-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 01:20 PM   #1798
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i will say that if it clicks for you, the gameplay is definitely fun and compelling. i've not felt this inspired to play a game since breath of the wild and thats my favorite game of all time

like everyone has pointed out, if it aint your cup of tea it will probably not do much for you, but if you are one of those people who is "lul walking simulator" without actually trying it and you get the chance to try it, give it a shot with an open mind. the gameplay loop is very hard to explain beyond "walk from point a to point b and deliver stuff", but is definitely fun and rewarding. boiling it down to its most basic steps like - you just walk everwhere is like saying an fps game is just clicking on heads, its technically correct but misses most of the nuance that makes clicking on heads or walking fun

Last edited by stone hands; 11-12-2019 at 01:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2019, 02:37 PM   #1799
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fair enough, it's more that I base my decisions about what to play on reviews because I only have time to commit to playing a couple of games a year. So I need to watch a review and think, "yep, that sounds like my cup of tea". I watched Jim Sterling's review of this and thought, "yeah that doesn't sound like much fun to me, either". So I can understand the skepticism from the public. I'll probably never know what I'm missing.
Old 11-12-2019, 03:24 PM   #1800
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

So is Death Stranding just a carry heavy #### over mountains simulator? Like is that really what it is? At least a game with a weird storyline like MGS5 had some pretty sweet open world combat stuff.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote