Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-18-2009, 11:52 AM   #21
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

my gf has read all the books in the Sookie series, and besides a few character differences, the show stays pretty true to the book, which is a plus.

Out of the crap that is on TV right now, this one is tops. Only deadliest catch and Wipeout beat this. :P

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:05 PM   #22
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEleven View Post
I watched the first 3 epsiodes a while back and gave up. Didn't really do it for me. Does it get better or if I didn't like it by now, I won't like the rest?
Yeah, if you gave it a fair shot and didn't like it after three episode, you're probably not gonna like it. I think it really picks up around ep 6ish, but I was really into it from the first episode. They always end an episode on a great cliffhanger that leaves you wanting more.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:11 PM   #23
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We were discussing this in another thread, but I watched the first season sometime last year and have been eagerly waiting for Season 2, gotta say the shape shifting aspect of the show is sort of blah, but I am in love with the set and the location. The first reason I got into the show was for the theme song by Jace Everett
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:17 PM   #24
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chid View Post
We were discussing this in another thread, but I watched the first season sometime last year and have been eagerly waiting for Season 2, gotta say the shape shifting aspect of the show is sort of blah, but I am in love with the set and the location. The first reason I got into the show was for the theme song by Jace Everett

Oh, the theme song and intro montage is awesome, I love it. The shape shifting thing I agree, is a bit silly, but if I can accept vampires, I guess I have to accept shape shifters.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #25
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

My wife is addicted to this new form of Crack for Women. What is it with romance literature and vampires? Seriously... what the hell?

That said, it's pretty good (unlike a certain series that features vampires that SPARKLE). The use of vampires to explore racism and social alienation of minority groups is effective and refreshing. Especially considering it's set in the deep south.

If only I could get over "Schoooookie". God that drives me up the wall.
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 01:45 PM   #26
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another hit from HBO. Love the series. Jason Stackhouse is a great character. I was shocked to find out that the actor is Australian.
Old 06-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #27
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Another hit from HBO. Love the series. Jason Stackhouse is a great character. I was shocked to find out that the actor is Australian.
I know. Jason is probably my favourite character on the show. Hard to believe the leads on this show are a Kiwi-Canadian and an Aussie.
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 02:19 PM   #28
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Opening Credits for True Blood.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:32 PM   #29
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackArcher101 View Post
What I do find annoying is how easy Sookie get's pissed off and is constantly flipping back and forth between decisions. Come to think of it... quite a few characters are tainted by this trait as well. Seems like all it takes is one sentence and WHAM... an argument and conflict ensues.
This. True Blood is "okay" for me... but I don't quite understand why the writers have to create instant conflict between characters - all based on one act/sentence and then the next episode, everything is fine again.

To me the whole series hasn't really moved forward at all. Sometimes I find that they are chasing too many storylines and not developing them well enough. A season +1 episode later, all the characters are pretty much in the same place they were before.

I do enjoy the overarching story lines of the seasons (season 1 - the serial killer; season 2 - the vampires keeping prisoners). I just think they could do more of this rather than jumping around so much.
Clever_Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 05:27 PM   #30
looooob
Franchise Player

Exp:

so as a huge six feet under, dexter etc fan I have no doubt I'll enjoy this show, so have started pvr'ing season 2...but completely missed season 1. am I going to need that to follow along?
looooob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 06:24 PM   #31
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
so as a huge six feet under, dexter etc fan I have no doubt I'll enjoy this show, so have started pvr'ing season 2...but completely missed season 1. am I going to need that to follow along?
Yes.

You will have no idea what is going on in S2 as it picks up right where S1 ends.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:45 PM   #32
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by looooob View Post
Yeah, you will be so lost, there's really no point unless you catch Season One.....go to blockbuster, they rent out the discs.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:13 AM   #33
chid
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yeah its literally right where the season finale of season 1 ended, I watched that finale a while ago and still watching the first episode of season 2 needed to refresh what was going on.
chid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #34
Peanut
First Line Centre

Exp:

So I was with a group of people and none of us had seen the show before. We jumped into an episode that was airing and BAM random vampire getting a BJ from another guy in the middle of other vampires carrying on a normal conversation?? It was a little awkward in the group/social setting (when nobody had seen the show before) to just jump into watching male-on-male vampire action. So I guess it's worth noting that the show is a bit "racy".

I might check out the Season 1 DVDs, I keep hearing good things about it.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:44 PM   #35
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I've been stuck at home a few days so I broke my long-standing rule and watched this; I actually watched all 12 season 1 episodes in a row from Wednesday midnight till Thursday noon...

It's good, but could be so much better. As someone mentioned, people seem to go off all crazy after someone else makes a reasonably inoffensive remark, and after a while it seems awfully artificial. You can also tell that different writers have been at the material, and some episodes have a much different feel than others, for better or worse.

I also don't like the way some of the characters are portrayed: "Sookie" seems way too naive for someone who (spoiler ahead!) has been reading thoughts all her life. "Tara" (who btw is hotter than hell) is too much the schizo and it doesn't ring true, while "Luke" is more a caricature than a person. Again, though, different writers treat the characters differently and it creates many of the inconsistencies, so maybe all that is needed is for the producers to really crack down and make sure everything goes according to one vision and not a dozen.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #36
GreenTeaFrapp
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
while "Luke" is more a caricature than a person.
Who is Luke?
GreenTeaFrapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 10:02 PM   #37
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenTeaFrapp View Post
Who is Luke?
Vader's son?

I meant Jason, not sure where Luke came from. Crazyland, I suspect.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:30 PM   #38
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Their ad campaign has been pretty funny.

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #39
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

All sex and gore aside I'm surprised so many guys like this show!
Old 06-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #40
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whats Bill going to do? He looked pretty mad.