Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-04-2020, 11:36 PM   #1441
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Edit: I get it, they have to try...
Getting tested twice daily. They'll be throwing millions just at testing and safety precautions.

If it gets around a dressing room I could see them just calling it quits stating the circumstance was beyond their control.

But they will try yes. Things will be closely monitored enough and the tournament will be isolated enough that they should be able to get through it without a full blown outbreak.

Once again, holding the thing in Canada would go a long way towards ensuring that.
Old 06-05-2020, 01:13 AM   #1442
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Millions of people are marching in the street shoulder to shoulder...I'm sure they can get they can manage

covid is so last week
Old 06-05-2020, 01:30 AM   #1443
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah, good thing humanity decided the pandemic was over with. Bigger fish to fry now.

That second wave is gonna sneak up and #### us, isn't it.

They'll be forced into holding the POs in Edmonton.
Old 06-06-2020, 08:53 AM   #1444
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1268542187823861761
Old 06-06-2020, 05:17 PM   #1445
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Wasn't sure where to post this. An unidentified Penguins player has tested positive for Covid-19 but recovered.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #1446
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What will they consider an outbreak? If one or two players get it? The odds of showing symptoms and being positive are really low. They going to test every player every day? I mean here in BC we have like 130 whole cases lol after months of pandemic. About as many cases as hospitals Haha

They are going to get halfway through and be forced to cancel, I can just see it. Over nothing. Most of us have probably already had or have this 'deadly' virus and don't even know it.

I want to get excited for this. As half baked as it is, it's still hockey. I just can't help but feel some political bs will sewer it in the end.

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 06-07-2020 at 11:56 AM.
Old 06-07-2020, 11:59 AM   #1447
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire of the Phoenix View Post
What will they consider an outbreak? If one or two players get it? The odds of showing symptoms and being positive are really low. They going to test every player every day? I mean here in BC we have like 130 whole cases lol after months of pandemic. About as many cases as hospitals Haha

They are going to get halfway through and be forced to cancel, I can just see it. Over nothing. Most of us have probably already had or have this 'deadly' virus and don't even know it.

I want to get excited for this. As half baked as it is, it's still hockey. I just can't help but feel some political bs will sewer it in the end.
I wouldnt use BC as an example of the norm with covid 19, it's one or the only areas with a decent population where the government made good decisions quickly to control the outbreak. Out east it's a very different story.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2020, 12:01 PM   #1448
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
I wouldnt use BC as an example of the norm with covid 19, it's one or the only provinces with a decent population where the government made good decisions quickly to control the outbreak. Out east it's a very different story.

Fair enough. The whole thing is just ####ed to me. What did the eastern provinces not do that was to blame? Not enough social distancing? Government not destroy enough businesses? Honestly curious, stopped paying attention to this crap awhile ago.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:10 PM   #1449
calgaryred
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. The whole thing is just ####ed to me. What did the eastern provinces not do that was to blame? Not enough social distancing? Government not destroy enough businesses? Honestly curious, stopped paying attention to this crap awhile ago.
BC coast being the gateway to China was quick to make measures to control the spread. Started with closing schools, banning open restaurants and areas where large groups could gather. BC was one of the first or maybe the first government to be on the same page with health authorities. Good example would be spring break Premier Horgan was pushing to social distance and stay home Ford was telling his province to go out and enjoy themselves.

Old 06-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #1450
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryred View Post
BC coast being the gateway to China was quick to make measures to control the spread. Started with closing schools, banning open restaurants and areas where large groups could gather. BC was one of the first or maybe the first government to be on the same page with health authorities. Good example would be spring break Premier Horgan was pushing to social distance and stay home Ford was telling his province to go out and enjoy themselves.

Just looking at the number differential, it's quite a gap. Population density probably a factor but yeah a Ford led government will drop the ball obviously. Still I'm not sure this virus response was worth destroying the economy over and ruining so many people's lives. Good time for a government power grab though.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #1451
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

“This crap”
“Over nothing”
Yeah it’s clear you haven’t been paying attention. You only need look at other countries to se how bad this could have been. The steps taken are why it hasn’t been worse here. What would be the benefit to the government of this “power grab”?
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2020, 12:55 PM   #1452
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
“This crap”
“Over nothing”
Yeah it’s clear you haven’t been paying attention. You only need look at other countries to se how bad this could have been. The steps taken are why it hasn’t been worse here. What would be the benefit to the government of this “power grab”?
Meh. I lost my job over this ####. Probably going to lose my house too. I have a right to be pissed.
Old 06-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #1453
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am sorry that happened to you.
Doesn’t mean all of this was for nothing
Old 06-07-2020, 01:10 PM   #1454
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I am sorry that happened to you.
Doesn’t mean all of this was for nothing
I realize the virus is serious and is killing people and that's terrible but I'm not sure the collateral damage we've inflicted was worth it. Who knows what the death toll would've been without the massive reaction? Was it worth it? I don't know. We'll never know that. All I know is I'm bitter that I have nothing better to do than post on this board and I'm behind on mortgage payments that the bank won't defer because the mortgage is too 'new'. Probably going to have to move away from this town because there was no jobs here before, now it's ####ed. Now everything is opening up like nothing happened except I dont have a job now and my life is ruined. How many people are on the same boat as me? Millions? It sucks. 400,000 have died, countless millions have had their lives shattered. 2020, what's next?
Old 06-07-2020, 01:12 PM   #1455
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. I lost my job over this ####. Probably going to lose my house too. I have a right to be pissed.
You lost your job because of the pandemic and the global slowdown after it. That doesn't mean that it wasn't real or required in order to prevent a catastrophic crisis in the healthcare system. It sucks you lost your job, not a single person will deny that - however that doesn't mean it isn't deadly or that most people have had it.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:19 PM   #1456
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
You lost your job because of the pandemic and the global slowdown after it. That doesn't mean that it wasn't real or required in order to prevent a catastrophic crisis in the healthcare system. It sucks you lost your job, not a single person will deny that - however that doesn't mean it isn't deadly or that most people have had it.
All I know is I'm 37 and I have to start over, until the next big thing happens of course. So what's the point of even trying? My whole adult life working towards a future that doesn't exist now because of a virus that has a 0.2% death rate according to the CDC.

Its going to be the literal end of the world if an actual superbug emerges. And it's probably only a matter of time. If this is how we respond to coronavirus, we probably nuke a real superbug from orbit.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:26 PM   #1457
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All I know is I'm 37 and I have to start over, until the next big thing happens of course. So what's the point of even trying? My whole adult life working towards a future that doesn't exist now because of a virus that has a 0.2% death rate according to the CDC.

Its going to be the literal end of the world if an actual superbug emerges. And it's probably only a matter of time. If this is how we respond to coronavirus, we probably nuke a real superbug from orbit.

I'm staring down a job loss (my dream job) too, but what keeps me going is knowing theres always something better...eventually. I have a wedding to look forward to, even though the wedding we planned was squashed. If you've been in Alberta for any moderate amount of time, you know what it's like to get kicked from every direction and you're a lot stronger than you may feel like right now.
Old 06-07-2020, 01:34 PM   #1458
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
I'm staring down a job loss (my dream job) too, but what keeps me going is knowing theres always something better...eventually. I have a wedding to look forward to, even though the wedding we planned was squashed. If you've been in Alberta for any moderate amount of time, you know what it's like to get kicked from every direction and you're a lot stronger than you may feel like right now.
From an Alberta-like town in BC. Know what's it's like to live reliant on oil and gas. Seen many friends screwed over.

Running out of time. By the time I'm retrained in a new profession and making what I was making, which probably won't happen, I'll be in my 40s. This is the second time a stock market crash has hurt my retirement too. A retirement that's looking more and more like a pipe dream. The way the world's going I'll be working until I die because of forces outside of my control. Probably won't own another house either. I'm going friggin backwards.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:42 PM   #1459
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You know what, I take it back, I don't care if you lost your job or not. Seriously, you can't put things into perspective as a 37 year old. You think that you are alone in the feeling of unease and pain caused by covid19. Considering I have seen someone die from the virus and I know that if there was a large scale outbreak I will see many, many more people die, I just have a hard time caring about your problem.

You are 37, you will pick yourself up and carry on. Things will eventually return to normal then you can worry about your job and that ####.
Old 06-07-2020, 03:01 PM   #1460
Fire of the Phoenix
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

nm

Last edited by Fire of the Phoenix; 06-07-2020 at 07:41 PM.
Closed Thread