Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-12-2019, 07:41 PM   #1
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:
Default Kaillie Humphries sues Bobsleigh Canada, prepares to compete for U.S.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/kaillie-hu...ment-1.5281722

Quote:
Kaillie Humphries says it's become clear Bobsleigh Canada no longer wants her competing for the team and has asked to be released. This comes more than a year after Humphries filed a harassment complaint with the national sport organization
Quote:
"This has been a 15-year career. It's been everything I've dreamed of since I was a kid. To know that a country has supported me so strongly and the people in the country have been so great — that I have to either consider being forcefully retired and having somebody else decide what happens to my career.
Mango is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2019, 07:40 AM   #2
AndyM
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Lou Marsh winner.

It's sad it had to come to this.
AndyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:23 AM   #3
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Humphries has been waiting for more than a year for the national sport organization to complete its internal investigation.

Jesus Christ.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #4
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Absolutely embarrassing

Hopefully this gets more attention
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

This is gonna get worse before it gets better. I’m fully prepared for the mudslinging to get ugly fast. Sad situation and I hope Kaillie gets resolution sooner than later.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 09:14 PM   #6
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teammates, male and female, come out in support of Bobsleigh Canada and the team environment and culture that has been newly created the past few years.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/b...ipps-1.5284015

My guess that was a big change to the way Humphries, who was a strong personality as she rose through the ranks pre and post 2010, was used to having the organization run.

Last edited by browna; 09-14-2019 at 09:16 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:46 AM   #7
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Denied and IMO, rightfully so.

Canadian federations (Bobsleigh Canada and other support groups) spent how much helping her become as good as she has gotten and then she just wants to up and give them the middle finger? (Circumstances aside)

https://twitter.com/user/status/1173982109242777601
Old 09-17-2019, 03:01 PM   #8
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Hasn't been a good few days for Humphries with the team defending the coach, court ruling there was no evidence of harassment, and now the court saying it's up to CBS' discretion.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1173663676970295296
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:08 PM   #9
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sometimes the squeaky wheel gets the grease, and sometimes the squeaky wheel gets replaced.
Maybe a good time to start looking for a host gig on Amazing race.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoho For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2019, 04:29 PM   #10
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Humphries comes out of this with a lot of egg on her face, especially since she can't prove harassment and her team mates didn't back her.

This was probably more about getting paid better by Team USA and getting more lucrative endorsements in the States then any harassment claim.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:43 PM   #11
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

^And, in fairness, she married an American and lives in the US now. This isn't a Greg Rusedski case, but yeah, it seems like she decided that burning bridges was her best chance at getting a transfer to the American team. Guess not.

Her $45 million demand also sundered any possibility of sympathy as well. Including, no doubt, from her ex-teammates who would basically have seen that as her trying to destroy their own program on the way out the door.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 05:03 PM   #12
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought this was another #metoo case with her spending time with the men’s sled team

But with other athletes backing up the coaching staff and this new ruling, it really does look bad on her
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #13
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

https://nationalpost.com/sports/olym...1-832e3df8a624

Quote:
And in case you’re wondering why BCS didn’t simply resolve the issue by welcoming Humphries back in May, when she sent them a letter outlining her desire to return to competition subject to certain conditions, here are just a few of the five pages worth of costs and conditions she sent them:
She wanted $21,180 in retroactive carding money for the 2018/19 season in which she declined to compete. She wanted her own full-time pilot coach/head coach at an extra cost to BCS of $75,000 annually. She suggested Pierre Lueders, Sep Plozza and Lee Johnston as “sound alternatives” for her. She wanted her own part-time push coach at an extra cost of $20,000 per year for two years and then full-time in the Olympic year at $70,000. She wanted BCS to pay for her own therapist at a cost of $50,000 in the Olympic year. And, she wanted BCS to appoint a liaison, a replacement high performance director as she put it, so she would have no direct contact with Hays, Le Bihan or Storey. BCS said no.

Just seems like the PR battle is continuing to go...downhill.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:15 PM   #14
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

More honest comments from her (potentially former) teammates:

Quote:
“If she wants to come back to the Canadian program, the program’s not going to block her. But I think that, you know, she will have to be a team player. And if she’s willing to do that, everybody will be glad to have her back.”
https://www.sportsnet.ca/olympics/te...s-team-player/

And further on her 'me first' attitude, as first brought up by the National Post.

Quote:
Several sources have informed Sportsnet that Humphries has been anything but a team player to date. They say that she doesn’t work with other pilots, that she has been selfish with BCS’s limited resources, that the consensus is the team would be better off without her — from a morale standpoint, at least. Sportsnet’s request for an interview with Humphries was not returned.
Old 09-18-2019, 04:23 PM   #15
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wonder if she and Mangiapane share the same agent. It sure seems they acted on some bad advice.
Old 09-18-2019, 08:56 PM   #16
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gambled and lost.
Got told by coaches and others in BSC to fall in line.

Ego was too big, and has always seemed to be too big, even though she had others in the sled to bring her medals, a she made sure she was front and center on TV or interviews.

Didn't want to fall in line with the team or wanted to go to the US by some promise of endorsement deals because she's tatted up and has a crazy hair style, so, throw out vague claims of abuse and harassment when you got scolded by your team and coach, post a teary eyed video on Facebook, and hope that sticks in PR land to pressure BSC.

With the immediacy of teammates refuting claims the day after, never looked as if this had any legs, never mind the outrageous demands as listed above for a small organization like BSC. Never mind 45$m in damages.

On top of that, this charade makes it a bit harder for athletes with legit and real concerns and harassment, to have their voices heard and taken seriously.

Last edited by browna; 09-18-2019 at 08:59 PM.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2019, 09:58 PM   #17
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonInBothHands View Post
I wonder if she and Mangiapane share the same agent. It sure seems they acted on some bad advice.
Great analogy, one literally has nothing to do with the other.
If anything I respect “eat bread”more for asking for what he’s worth.

Humphries is a drama queen who’s 15 min.of fame is up.

Last edited by Yoho; 09-18-2019 at 10:02 PM.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:52 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hard to imagine how she could return to the team after this. If I were on the team and felt she just pulled this charge out of thin air i’d be mad to have to work with her.

If she has proof, then, now is the time to trot it out.
Old 09-28-2019, 05:32 PM   #19
Mango
Marshmallow Maiden

Exp:

Not exactly sure how to post a PDF but Bobsleigh Canada has granted her release.

Quote:
This was not an easy decision, nor was it one we took lightly. Alongside our stakeholders, we carefully weighed all the relevant factors in this important and complex decision of releasing a medal-potential athlete to one of our top competitors.

Ultimately, we firmly believe that supporting our current athletes and the positive culture they have developed as a team will foster the environment we need to successfully grow our sport and slide onto the international podium both now, and in the future.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mango For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2019, 05:41 PM   #20
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Shouldn't need a pdf, here's the link

http://www.bobsleighcanadaskeleton.ca/en/news/?id=517
The Following User Says Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post: