Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-01-2019, 11:04 AM   #121
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think if you consider the rationale Booby Mac is suggesting, that the flames are looking to move Brodie/Hamonic for cap considerations due to Tkachuk, it intimates Calgary's motivation for each player.

If your consideration is maximizing cap space for tkachuk than Brodie is the obvious odd man out as it compares to hamonic because of Brodie's cap hit and limited term.

Brodie for a draft pick or two is certainly a deal that is out there.

However, if you're looking to shed cap from your back end while also improving your roster, you move Hamonic for a (much) more substantial return.

At this point I would consider hamonic almost twice as valuable as Brodie, especially to a contender.

With Winnipeg potentially losing Myers and trouba I wonder if there is a deal to be done there for Hamonic.

Hamonic for Lowry +?
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 11:08 AM   #122
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
At this point I would consider hamonic almost twice as valuable as Brodie
..... you can’t be serious.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 11:49 AM   #123
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the team probably prefers to keep Hamonic. There are several reasons, the first is Hamonic being able to anchor a pairing without Giordano on it, Brodie has yet to show it in the last couple of years. Also, when you consider speciality teams Hamonic is your top PK D, while Brodie is on PP2. I also think that Brodie’s skill(PP2 point, first pass, skating puck out) is easier to replace by what Andersson and Kylington showed so far.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:08 PM   #124
Nammer403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd prefer to keep Hamonic over Brodie
Old 06-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #125
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get a return you're happy with then I'm okay with trading both of them. Having Giordano, Hanifin, Andersson, Valimaki as your top four isn't that scary to me. Maybe you get a veteran defenseman that can fill from the 4-6 spot as part of the return for Brodie or Hamonic.

Get some assets in one or both of these trades that can help you add depth closer to the trade deadline.

Now, I don't think Treliving would trade both of them this summer. He likes to have depth and you can't predict if you need that depth in the first week, in the playoffs or not at all. Brodie is the obvious choice if you're saving cap space. If you're entertaining offers for Hamonic then you're just keeping your options open. Can't go into the off season with only one plan of action, you need to be prepared to do anything that materializes that will help the team.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 12:30 PM   #126
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
..... you can’t be serious.
Yep, serious.

The matrix of qualities hamonic possesses is one of the more unique skill sets in the league.

They are basically all of the qualities you'd want in Brodie to fix his game.

His lack of point production, or the pressure to play him in a point producing role, is a gift to whichever team wants to sign him.

I think Brodie is unreliable and has been for years. Now that the flames have options it's not a surprise to me at all they are looking to move on from him.

I think from the flames perspective they WANT to move Brodie but are WILLING to move Hamonic.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 01:23 PM   #127
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

So can we all agree, DeluxeMustache is TJ Brodie?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:10 PM   #128
EverfresH15
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
That or a 3yr old having a tempter tantrum
EverfresH15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 02:28 PM   #129
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EverfresH15 View Post
That or a 3yr old having a tempter tantrum
Or that he presents a pretty compelling case to keep Brodie. I've been the guy more often than not that you hear screaming at Brodie from my seats. I have always been a big fan of Hammer. But after reading this thread I have gone from being 100% on the dump Brodie bandwagon, to not really caring who gets traded. DeluxeMustache may have a bias to Brodie, but he has used stats that are quite convincing. He's brought me back to the median on this one.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to theslymonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 02:42 PM   #130
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaneuf_Phan View Post
Move them both!

For draft picks. Give their combined salaries to Tkachuk for a long-term deal.

Flames' D still solid:

Gio Hanifin
Andersson Välimäki
Kylington Fantenberg

Prout
Stone
Seems unlikely. Even though fans don’t always prepare depth charts for injuries, Treliving will. One injury to Gio or Hanifin or both and how confident are you feeling?
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 03:17 PM   #131
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default McKenzie: Hearing the Flames are very intent on moving one of Hamonic or Brodie

Ya, disliked both of their performances in the playoffs. Hamonic was stuck in mud while him and Hanifin looked overrun all series. Brodie played like how usual bad Brodie plays with his brain farts and soft play. Either can go after that disaster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Beninho; 06-01-2019 at 03:21 PM.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:14 PM   #132
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

What happens with Michael Stone? Last year was a washout because of his medical issues.

Are the Flames intending on bringing him back in for regular duty? He has a modified No Trade Clause. He might be harder to move.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:24 PM   #133
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
What happens with Michael Stone? Last year was a washout because of his medical issues.

Are the Flames intending on bringing him back in for regular duty? He has a modified No Trade Clause. He might be harder to move.

I think it depends. He's useful depth, but useful depth at $3.5 million AAV is tough. Could be a buyout situation.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #134
theslymonkey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
I think it depends. He's useful depth, but useful depth at $3.5 million AAV is tough. Could be a buyout situation.
Doubtful. His buyout would be 1.16 for the next two years. He's still an effective bottom pair guy. To replace him with someone equivalent would be around 1-2 million. So is the buyout really worth the time and effort? I bet the Flames are penciling him in at #5/6 if they can't trade him for a pick.
theslymonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:33 PM   #135
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theslymonkey View Post
Or that he presents a pretty compelling case to keep Brodie. I've been the guy more often than not that you hear screaming at Brodie from my seats. I have always been a big fan of Hammer. But after reading this thread I have gone from being 100% on the dump Brodie bandwagon, to not really caring who gets traded. DeluxeMustache may have a bias to Brodie, but he has used stats that are quite convincing. He's brought me back to the median on this one.

He also didn't show bias towards Mike Smith which I thought was a good indicator he was looking at it both ways! Good to see Brodie call it like he see's it
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 04:37 PM   #136
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am not dying to get rid of Brodie at any cost, but I do think he has the most value out of players that are expendible.
Old 06-01-2019, 05:17 PM   #137
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default McKenzie: Hearing the Flames are very intent on moving one of Hamonic or Brodie

And we thought last seasons off season was a doozy. I have hoped the flames could use Brodie or I guess now Hamonic in gaining an extra first rounder but I’m guessing the trade will be for win now pieces. I’d like to have some blue chip forward prospects in the pipeline in case of a potential trade of Monahan or gaudreau in the future. I would love the flames to build the forward depth like they built the depth on defence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 05:28 PM   #138
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the reason Hamonic is rumored to be available is because the return for Brodie is not what they had hoped for. I think there will be a high level of disappointment in the return for Brodie. IMO Treliving is floating Hamonic in an effort to set a market, then use it to drive up the price for Brodie. Hopefully it works out.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2019, 05:46 PM   #139
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post

I’m interested in the feelings about stone.

I thought he was fine in the bottom pairing, with some upside to slot into 2nd pairing for a limited time due to injuries.

I see lots of people who don’t like stone, what am I missing when I’m watching him play?

Full disclosure: I also thought fanteberg was an ok 3rd pairing guy.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 06:04 PM   #140
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I don't think Stone is bought out. That cap hit is high, but it's manageable, and he's a useful player to have around, especially if Brodie is gone. He seems like a natural fit to return on the third pairing, given that the organization doesn't exactly have a ton of other RHD options. I'd be very interested in seeing him given substantial time with Valimaki next season.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote