Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2019, 12:01 PM   #261
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default McKenzie: Hearing the Flames are very intent on moving one of Hamonic or Brodie

I feel that Hanifin could provide the same exact qualities that Brodie gives that allows Gio to be a beast. Brodie and Hamonic are both expandable and neither are top pairing guys. I wouldn’t be mad if both are traded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 12:06 PM   #262
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hanifin plays the same side as Gio. Not sure it would be a good idea putting one of them on their off side.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #263
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
I feel that Hanifin could provide the same exact qualities that Brodie gives that allows Gio to be a beast. Brodie and Hamonic are both expandable and neither are top pairing guys. I wouldn’t be mad if both are traded

Hamonic is the only Dman that has any grit besides Gio. I don't think Hamonic should be traded.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #264
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default McKenzie: Hearing the Flames are very intent on moving one of Hamonic or Brodie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
Hamonic is the only Dman that has any grit besides Gio. I don't think Hamonic should be traded.

Ya I didn’t see this grit in the playoffs, Hamonic really tailed off by the end of the season and had some games where he turned the puck over pretty much every time he touched it. Hamonic had a good season but if there’s a good offer for him I would take it.

Last edited by Beninho; 06-04-2019 at 12:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:13 PM   #265
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I didn’t see this grit in the playoffs

All the forwards should be traded too? They didn't show any offence in the playoffs.

Hamonic is a warrior and anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:16 PM   #266
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman View Post
All the forwards should be traded too? They didn't show any offence in the playoffs.

Hamonic is a warrior and anyone who thinks otherwise is clueless.

Again, he was not a warrior in the playoffs. Him and Hanifin got overrun throughout the series and he got outplayed by Erick ####ing Johnson. You earn warrior status in the playoffs not in December. Regehr was a warrior because he earned that status in the playoffs, Hamonic has not. Hamonic is offensively limited but has shown he can be very good defensively which did not translate to the playoffs this year. He was weak, just like Brodie and just like the majority of the forwards. His good contract is also going to be coming to an end in the near future and if there’s a good offer for him I would take it. Of course he wasn’t the reason the flames lost but I expected him to have way more awareness and poise defensively vs the Avs. Him and Hanifin got owned all series. I’m not surprised at all to see his name in trade rumours

Last edited by Beninho; 06-04-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:18 PM   #267
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hanafin is still 22 years old at the end of the day. It feels like he's been around for a while because he's played a lot of games in the NHL but he's younger than Andersson.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 12:37 PM   #268
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh my god.

Andersson established himself as a regular this year as a 22-year old, and 19-year-old Valimaki made the team out of camp. He was supplanted only because of a serious injury that wiped out most of his season. Andrew Mangiapane played 44 games in his 22-year-old season, and 19-year old Dillon Dube also made the team out of camp. Barring any movement, all of these players will be on the roster next season
I'm thinking that a big reason why the Flames appear to be open to moving one Brodie or Hamonic is because they do trust their youth and realize that when healthy both Valimaki, and Anderson should be in the lineup with Hanifin, and Kylington is there to challenge for a spot too. It appears that this might actually be the primary reason to make this type of move now too with the secondary benefit being either a forward upgrade in return, or draft pick with some cap relief.

It's fine to trust youth, if the youth is good. Pretty much every young Flames player who should have got a look in the NHL last year did get one.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 12:48 PM   #269
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
According to some....Giordano was reliant on TJ Brodie to perform at a Norris level.

I just cant wrap my head around that thought process when looking at their two bodies of work.

His stats show 100 giveaways. 8th worst in the league and more than 1/game. I'd like to know what the NHL considers a giveaway though because that seems low.

*Pardon me, 8th out of defensemen, 11th worst overall.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.

Last edited by FireFly; 06-04-2019 at 01:02 PM.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:52 PM   #270
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
His stats show 100 giveaways. 8th worst in the league and more than 1/game. I'd like to know what the NHL considers a giveaway though because that seems low.
Giveaways over a season isn’t a great stat to use negatively. The leaders in giveaways last season are mostly the top players in the league. The numbers are almost directly related to having the puck more and having more ice time.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 12:59 PM   #271
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disagree. Giordano has more ice time and fewer giveaways.

Giveaways show how often a player has a brainfart. Brodie has lots.
Quote:
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:07 PM   #272
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFly View Post
Disagree. Giordano has more ice time and fewer giveaways.

Giveaways show how often a player has a brainfart. Brodie has lots.
But Brodie basically has equal Giveaway-Takeaway stats as: Burns & Reilly.

At least he closes the gap by coming up with 68 takeaways, which is pretty respectable. All the talk from Dallas was how elite Heiskanen is, and he had the same amount of giveaways and HALF the takeaways. (Same with Doughty and Muzzin)

My main point is Brodie is no where near as poor of a player as he is portrayed here, and we will see that with the return on draft day.

For the record: I want Brodie gone (mostly because we can, and it’ll upgrade the F group), and think Gio is hands down our backbone.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 01:17 PM   #273
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I feel that Hanifin could provide the same exact qualities that Brodie gives that allows Gio to be a beast...
Sometimes there is just no compensation or replacement for great chemistry. Brodie and Giordano have reams of it, and I don't think it is so easily replicated by the insertion of another player no matter how similar their attributes are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 01:19 PM   #274
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

At least he closes the gap by coming up with 68 takeaways, which is pretty respectable. All the talk from Dallas was how elite Heiskanen is, and he had the same amount of giveaways and HALF the takeaways. (Same with Doughty and Muzzin)

My main point is Brodie is no where near as poor of a player as he is portrayed here, and we will see that with the return on draft day.

For the record: I want Brodie gone (mostly because we can, and it’ll upgrade the F group), and think Gio is hands down our backbone.
Most fans realize that Burns and Reilly are not great defensively but as with players like Karlsson teams are willing to live with that because of elite offensive talent. Brodie doesn't produce like those players so it's a harder to live with. He's still a good player and most of us realize this but with our goaltending situation the way it is, would probably rather if someone has to go from the blue line that it be the guy that coughs up the puck the most.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #275
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^^ On that note if Gio has a say (and I suspect he will be spoken to by Treliving) I would think he would ask that Brodie stick around.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:10 PM   #276
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
^^ On that note if Gio has a say (and I suspect he will be spoken to by Treliving) I would think he would ask that Brodie stick around.
If the "check with Jerome" era taught us anything, players play and GMs GM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 02:12 PM   #277
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ Not saying he would make the call, but I'm sure he would be spoken to about it. Just like if they were to bring in a guy like Kadri. The Captain would get his say.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:14 PM   #278
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If the "check with Jerome" era taught us anything, players play and GMs GM.
but for the love of god who was setting up the play?!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:20 PM   #279
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post

Others have said it, but it bears repeating; the others you mention put up points. Those who put up points take more risks and create more turnovers. Brodie's turnover to point ratio is not good. And for someone who helps elevate Gio's game so much, why didn't Brodie end up with more points himself? It just doesn't add up. If he was an offensive defenseman, he would have more points. If he was a defensive defenseman, he would have fewer turnovers (and more hits!). So what is he?

He's not terrible, he's just not awesome.
Quote:
Old 06-04-2019, 04:41 PM   #280
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Oh my god.

Andersson established himself as a regular this year as a 22-year old, and 19-year-old Valimaki made the team out of camp. He was supplanted only because of a serious injury that wiped out most of his season. Andrew Mangiapane played 44 games in his 22-year-old season, and 19-year old Dillon Dube also made the team out of camp. Barring any movement, all of these players will be on the roster next season

All the handwringing about the Flames "not trusting their youth(!)" is so overblown and exaggerated: Most of their top-six forwards next season will be under 25-years-old, and they will have at least three defensemen playing under the age of 24. This is NOT an issue.
I do believe the current management is willing to reward young players. I also think bt shopping brodie or hamonic shows that he agrees with some of us that the young players now need to be leaned on for bigger roles which is what I'm looking for the flames to do. Trust they will get better. It's a risk for sure but I believe 1 or 2 will step up. So many worried about Rasmus playing with gio and if he can manage it. To many assuming that when brodie and gio were split up and Rasmus moved up that is the only option. It doesn't have to be Rasmus.

Gio hanifin
Valimaki hamonic
Rasmus kylington

There are more options then Rasmus having to play with gio. There are 4 young d men all with potential. Trust 1 or 2 to step it up that is what cup winning teams do.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote