Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-19-2019, 03:06 PM   #1
Bingo
Owner

Exp:
Default Rasmus Andersson's Next Contract

Pinder brought this up on Friday on my way out of town.

The Flames can start negotiating a new contract for Rasmus Andersson starting July 1st. He has a year left on his entry level deal.

Do you see how this year goes and run the risk of a 35 point season playing with Mark Giordano? Or do you take advantage of the window and the fact that Andersson's resume is limited; meaning security may be something he's interested in.

Would you do 7 years and say $4.5 per season right now and lock him up? Kind of like the Oilers did with Klefbom and the Flames did with Brodie?

Or do you wait and see and run the risk that he has a great season and is suddenly worth $6M+?
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like he might get 40+ points playing with Giordano, if the team has another good season.

(Or not of course. In any case I have no opinion about the contract.)
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:31 PM   #3
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lock him up long term. We got a good one here.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:32 PM   #4
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be more than fine with 4.5 on a 7 year deal. That would be a steal.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:35 PM   #5
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lock him up. Easy decision in my opinion
Old 05-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yup go for max term
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:41 PM   #7
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd go with 7-8 years at a reasonably high dollar figure. Think this deal might look like Brodie's after a while

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #8
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t agree with signing many players to max term contracts. Nothing wrong with players earning their next deal.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 04:00 PM   #9
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sign him long term.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 04:52 PM   #10
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Brodie is moved at the draft I highly doubt Rasmus would sign a max deal even close to 4.5 per, his camp knows he would likely be the top pair R-side Dman for at least the next few years
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:05 PM   #11
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
I don’t agree with signing many players to max term contracts. Nothing wrong with players earning their next deal.
It's not about them needing to earn it, it's about prudent business decisions that benefit the team. It seems more and more teams are shying away from max term on superstars as they have found that it's better to have 5 stars in a 5 year window at $40 million, than 5 stars in an 8 year window at $55 million.

Just rebuild when the contracts run out, instead of wandering the desert with aging stars like the NHL has started to see with LA, Chicago, Anaheim etc. They'd still have those cups without the insanely long deals.

But I don't agree that some old school belief that players need to earn it should factor in at all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 05:09 PM   #12
jayswin

Exp:

But more to the point of this thread, I actually agree with moving away from max contracts on stars, but I like the idea of grabbing a young, good D-man at 8 years if he's willing. This isn't a star that's going to say "If you want 8 years you pay me $12mil" and then you're stuck.

This is a dependable, young top 4 d-man that will be second pairing at worst, but possibly a future top pairing. If he agrees to sign a long term deal this summer you do it without a second thought.

Price likely goes way up next summer. Treveling will know this and will do it of the player's side is willing.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM   #13
Samuelsson
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I hope Anders Rasmussen gets locked-up long-term.
Old 05-19-2019, 06:11 PM   #14
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers signed Klefbom to a 7 year deal after similar NHL experience. Do the Flames do the same with Rasmus?

If they can get 7-8 years around $4M per they should do it
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:44 PM   #15
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
It's not about them needing to earn it, it's about prudent business decisions that benefit the team. It seems more and more teams are shying away from max term on superstars as they have found that it's better to have 5 stars in a 5 year window at $40 million, than 5 stars in an 8 year window at $55 million.

Just rebuild when the contracts run out, instead of wandering the desert with aging stars like the NHL has started to see with LA, Chicago, Anaheim etc. They'd still have those cups without the insanely long deals.

But I don't agree that some old school belief that players need to earn it should factor in at all.
There are many factors that go into determining the optimal contract length for a player, and you can’t hand out term to every player on your roster. We have some fans who want to sign both Bennett and Andersson to 8 year deals for example.

I stand by my comment that players should earn long term deals. Or any deal for that matter. It’s not old school to understand that long term contracts carry huge risks for an organization and that part of the equation is having a good idea how players will perform over the length of the deal. That is what “earning it” means in this context IMO.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #16
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Colour me surprised if he breaks 35+ points. Great toolbox except his skating is below average. Its tough watching him skate - its very wideman-ish
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:04 PM   #17
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I still consider him as a likely top-four. Not quite ready to hand him full first pairing status based on a small sample.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:07 PM   #18
Dan02
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's no rush here. Let him play out the season and see where he lands.
Dan02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 07:11 PM   #19
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
There are many factors that go into determining the optimal contract length for a player, and you can’t hand out term to every player on your roster. We have some fans who want to sign both Bennett and Andersson to 8 year deals for example.

I stand by my comment that players should earn long term deals. Or any deal for that matter. It’s not old school to understand that long term contracts carry huge risks for an organization and that part of the equation is having a good idea how players will perform over the length of the deal. That is what “earning it” means in this context IMO.
Ahh, sorry man, I misread your intent. You were talking from a business standpoint, which I agree with. I thought you were speaking like a dated hockey mind "gal darnit, the young players these day just get paid for nothing, back in my day they had to play for years to earn it!!".

Apologies.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 PM   #20
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan02 View Post
There's no rush here. Let him play out the season and see where he lands.
The caveat being that if he's willing to sign a reasonable deal relative to "top four" D-man I think you do it.