Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-14-2019, 09:52 PM   #121
Yoho
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kybb79 View Post
Well he is on a better team now playing in the eastern conference finals. I think he gets the last laugh.
Winning.
Yoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #122
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well he is on a better team now playing in the eastern conference finals. I think he gets the last laugh.
Why do you have such and ex-Flames boner while hating everyone on the current roster?

Last laugh? they haven't won a game that with him in the lineup and its very likely his time on that "better team" is coming to an end
Old 05-14-2019, 10:18 PM   #123
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Or maybe he just came off a major injury and there is more to his teams' losing than his play?

What an asinine comment.
Nobody is saying its all his fault...he is certainly over rated IMO as a playoff performer because of one series (which was amazing) but he hasn't played like that since.

Plenty of posters were saying he would have made a difference for the Flames yet he has 1 win in 15 playoff games, its a valid argument.

Canes bragging rights are being diminished by getting their doors blown off in the eastern finals too. They seem like a team that over achieved and got some breaks (like Holtby forgetting how to goal tend) and its finally caught up to them.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 PM   #124
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh. Flames are a better team than the Hurricanes. I'm not putting any stock into teams that overachieved in these playoffs as the Bruins are putting them in their place.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:35 PM   #125
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Meh. Flames are a better team than the Hurricanes. I'm not putting any stock into teams that overachieved in these playoffs as the Bruins are putting them in their place.
Yep, teams go on runs...its not like the best four teams in the NHL are still playing right now. By his logic Carolina is better than Tampa

Last edited by dino7c; 05-14-2019 at 10:49 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 07:37 AM   #126
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like the end of the run for the Canes. Team made huge strides this year, big improvement in coaching and team play but the B's are a better team and I think the Canes are pretty banged up. Bright future for them with their defensive depth and solid young forwards.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:28 AM   #127
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames might be a better team than Carolina talent wise on paper but you can’t compare the two in effort. The Flames have a long ways to go compared to Carolina and even further to match Boston who will probably win the cup.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:42 AM   #128
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They took out the defending champs and then swept the Isles who had a pretty good year. That is a fantastic result for them.

Anyone not wanting to give the Canes some credit just comes across as bitter at this point.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 08:50 AM   #129
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

I won't lie, I was (am) very bitter over the Hurricanes playoff success.

I compared the Flames and the Hurricanes all year after the trade and to see them gel and become media darlings and make it to the conference final while the Flames wilted hurt.

The thought of them winning the Cup really got to me. That team is obviously much more than Hamilton (skater, not the pig) & Ferland but how could I not be jealous and angry at their success?

Man, a month later and I am still so disappointed in the Flames.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #130
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
They took out the defending champs and then swept the Isles who had a pretty good year. That is a fantastic result for them.

Anyone not wanting to give the Canes some credit just comes across as bitter at this point.
I’ll give them full marks.

But I still think the Flames are a better team.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:57 AM   #131
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, I guess whoever comes out of the West is sweeping the Bruins?
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 AM   #132
Toonage

Exp:

^ Yep. Rest is a weapon. For the team still playing.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 AM   #133
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post

Not bitter at all. I don't think I even posted in the Fox thread as he is irrelevant to me as are the Hurricanes. I think they were a nice story this year making the playoffs and winning a few rounds but I don't think it they are on the cusp of being a perennial contender. They have some nice pieces but I wouldn't be shocked if they missed the playoffs next season.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 10:11 AM   #134
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
^ Yep. Rest is a weapon. For the team still playing.
I meant that The Isles swept the Pens, and were swept next round. Then the Canes swept the Isles, and are about to be swept this round. Then the Bruins sweep the Canes, and...
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #135
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I meant that The Isles swept the Pens, and were swept next round. Then the Canes swept the Isles, and are about to be swept this round. Then the Bruins sweep the Canes, and...
We're on the same page. The teams that do the sweeping get the rest and the teams with the rest are losing.

So if the Bruins sweep, they get rest and will lose to the Sharks or Blues.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #136
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Odds, per BetOnline:

2018-19 Conn Smythe Winner

Brad Marchand (BOS) 2/1
Tuukka Rask (BOS) 3/1
Logan Couture (SJ) 5/1
J. Binnington (STL) 6/1
J. Schwartz (STL) 10/1
Old 05-15-2019, 11:37 AM   #137
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonage View Post
We're on the same page. The teams that do the sweeping get the rest and the teams with the rest are losing.

So if the Bruins sweep, they get rest and will lose to the Sharks or Blues.
The one thing that's different is that Boston is a favorite. Maybe the time off gave the lesser teams a chance to realize they'd already overachieved. Also, to cool off from playing above their heads, as opposed to resting from playing at their normal level (like Boston is IMO).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 12:12 PM   #138
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
The one thing that's different is that Boston is a favorite. Maybe the time off gave the lesser teams a chance to realize they'd already overachieved. Also, to cool off from playing above their heads, as opposed to resting from playing at their normal level (like Boston is IMO).
Once Tampa, Pittsburgh, and Capitals were eliminated things really opened up for the winner of the Bruins/Leafs series as if you told a Bruins fan that after the Leafs only the Jackets and Hurricanes would stand in their way of making it back to the finals they would have gladly taken that. As much as I don't like the Bruins I appreciate that they are probably the only reason the Leafs aren't in the Stanley Cup finals this season.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #139
Toonage

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Yep watch Boston go and muck things up for bettors who think they're figured out the 2019 playoffs.

Quote:
As much as I don't like the Bruins I appreciate that they are probably the only reason the Leafs aren't in the Stanley Cup finals this season.
Truly Canada's team.
Old 05-15-2019, 12:20 PM   #140
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Canes are 0-5 with Ferland in the lineup and Hamilton has been okay as a fourth dman with some cringe worthy moments. It is just a bad take to bash the Flames and that trade based on the Cane's winning a couple rounds. Some people go out of their way to make every thread about bashing the Flames and it's annoying.