Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2019, 03:23 AM   #241
カナダ人です
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Holy cow Holland talks a lot.
カナダ人です is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:33 AM   #242
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crapshoot View Post
I just thought it was fantastic how Ken Holland declared that he wants to keep Keith Gretzky around "in some capacity". If I were appointed GM for a truly terrible franchise, I believe that the first thing I'd do is to attempt an overhaul of the staff in the front office to hopefully fit in with my vision of where the team should be headed. Keeping Gretzky around certainly smells like the work of the obc, and if Holland submits to that as early as his own introduction, it could only lead to good things for us Flames fans.

Well... if Holland truly believes that Gretzky is good, then it could be genuine, we just don't know (yet). You must take a page out of Steve Job's handbook (back in 1997) here and get everyone to line up and justify their projects (work) and axe the ones that don't fit your vision and plan. You can't just fire everyone before evaluating them, are they good, are they in the proper position, can they help... then proceed to axe the bad apples. Steve kept 1 project out of every 10... I think the Oiler's would have a similar ratio - Jony Ive was among those Steve kept... a diamond among the rocks, you don't want to rid your organization of those.
JackIsBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 07:42 AM   #243
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
Well... if Holland truly believes that Gretzky is good, then it could be genuine, we just don't know (yet). You must take a page out of Steve Job's handbook (back in 1997) here and get everyone to line up and justify their projects (work) and axe the ones that don't fit your vision and plan. You can't just fire everyone before evaluating them, are they good, are they in the proper position, can they help... then proceed to axe the bad apples. Steve kept 1 project out of every 10... I think the Oiler's would have a similar ratio - Jony Ive was among those Steve kept... a diamond among the rocks, you don't want to rid your organization of those.
You are comparing a guy who took over a company of thousands of employees to which he wouldn't know most of them by name or what projects they were working on to a guy coming into an NHL team where everyone knows everyone by name and their career's work is well documented. How hard is it to look at the AHL roster and junior prospect base and come to a conclusion about how scouting and development has been handled? How hard is it to look at the NHL roster and evaluate pro scouting and salary cap management? It's really not that hard which is why you see a lot of incoming GM's in professional sports clean house.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 08:35 AM   #244
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Why would you earnestly try to analyze what Stauffer says? It's pretty clear what he is, no?
i think text listens to more oiler radio than any of the oiler fans i know
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:11 AM   #245
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
i think text listens to more oiler radio than any of the oiler fans i know
I love it, and I can’t stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:17 AM   #246
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:
Default Ken Holland is the new GM and POHO of the Edmonton Oilers

Double post.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:18 AM   #247
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You are comparing a guy who took over a company of thousands of employees to which he wouldn't know most of them by name or what projects they were working on to a guy coming into an NHL team where everyone knows everyone by name and their career's work is well documented. How hard is it to look at the AHL roster and junior prospect base and come to a conclusion about how scouting and development has been handled? How hard is it to look at the NHL roster and evaluate pro scouting and salary cap management? It's really not that hard which is why you see a lot of incoming GM's in professional sports clean house.
These pressers are typically feel good affairs; everyone is polite and says the right things. It's bad form to light guys up in your introduction. Burke knew all about Feaster's blunders before he was hired here, but didn't fire him until mid December.

It's not that it's hard, but it does take time.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:30 AM   #248
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
These pressers are typically feel good affairs; everyone is polite and says the right things. It's bad form to light guys up in your introduction. Burke knew all about Feaster's blunders before he was hired here, but didn't fire him until mid December.

Burke has his own list of things to do. Cleaning house wasn't one of them. He said he liked to keep the continuity for a while.

In Edmonton it might be different though. I'd be concerned about being undermined by the OBC. I doubt Burke was ever worried about something like that.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:38 AM   #249
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:

But prior to making changes I don’t recall Burke ever being especially enthusiastic or complimentary about Feaster and his work. Ken Holland was fairly unrestrained in his endorsement of Grinder Gretzky.

Quote:
Old 05-08-2019, 09:46 AM   #250
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
But prior to making changes I don’t recall Burke ever being especially enthusiastic or complimentary about Feaster and his work. Ken Holland was fairly unrestrained in his endorsement of Grinder Gretzky.

Burke was specifically asked if Feaster did anything good and all he could come up with was that he'd created a bunch of cap space.
Old 05-08-2019, 09:51 AM   #251
crapshoot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Yet Holland didn't waste a second before he pushed Hitchcock into the nearest ditch during that very presser. In fact he was very clear that this was his way of proving how willing he was to make decisions immediately and didn't intend to wait around. I see what you're saying, but I tend to think that what we see here has a lot of similarities to what we are used to see, and that this is not a coincidence. I believe Hitchcock was made an example out of to please the masses, and that there is a distinct chance there will be no huge house cleaning in hockey ops.
crapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 09:59 AM   #252
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Good for the Oilers to not pick from their own OBC for a change I guess.

But it's another example of them just going after the big name like they do pretty much any time they hire or draft.
That's what people said when they hired Chiarelli.

The problem is that Holland has about seven members of the OBC that he reports to. Which is why Edmonton had to pay through the nose to get him. Hazard pay, basically.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:02 AM   #253
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
That's what people said when they hired Chiarelli.

The problem is that Holland has about seven members of the OBC that he reports to. Which is why Edmonton had to pay through the nose to get him. Hazard pay, basically.
Oh no. Far from it. Its a bribe.

If you're going to sell your soul and reputation, make sure you get paid.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 10:31 AM   #254
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the HNIC panel said that a GM told him he was looking forward to telling his owners that he was at least half as good as Holland (so he could get paid $2.5M).
Old 05-08-2019, 12:10 PM   #255
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
One of the HNIC panel said that a GM told him he was looking forward to telling his owners that he was at least half as good as Holland (so he could get paid $2.5M).
He also mentioned Treliving said something along the lines of Holland needing to find a new bank or something for all that money. I get the impression the Oilers have once again cost the rest of the league a lot of money as successful GM's will be using that contract as a measuring stick in negotiations. If a guy that hasn't done much in a decade warrants $5 million what does a GM that's actually assembled a good team warrant? At least as much I would think.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 05-08-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-08-2019, 12:54 PM   #256
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Did Katz inherit the business or money? I ask in all seriousness, as he doesn't seem like a very astute businessman, he throws money around like a drunken sailor.
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #257
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
Did Katz inherit the business or money? I ask in all seriousness, as he doesn't seem like a very astute businessman, he throws money around like a drunken sailor.
His dad owned Value Drug Mart so he didn't start with zero. But he bought and expanded Rexall very successfully. He's good at making money for himself. And I think it's Oiler fans who are the suckers here.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #258
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post

Steve didn't go through all the staff... just the head of each project (about 300 in all). Also if the line is shorter, then he'll get done quicker - I'd suggest that the ratio would be about the same... but maybe not, maybe there are no diamonds up north - and so be it, then he'll fire them all (if he's allowed - and I truly doubt it). There may be more diamonds as well... I doubt it... but to Holland, who knows. I'm also talking about the front office staff.... obviously players have contracts and the union you have to deal with.
Old 05-08-2019, 01:20 PM   #259
JackIsBack
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One more thing.... talking with CEO's... there's one thing they have in common, almost all businesses require the same skills at their level... and often these CEO just need to understand basic fundamentals and would be successful in any number of them running in different areas. Now... I think that running a hockey team as a GM is different because it's a game... but at the higher management level... it's about making money. We may criticize Katz about his hockey sense here... but so far he's been filling seats and has a new arena and ice district in Edmonton, funded in part by us taxpayers - I think the Calgary Flames would consider themselves lucky to get the same deal... and we won't, we have different fundamentals here, and we stand by them (big difference up north).
Old 05-08-2019, 01:23 PM   #260
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackIsBack View Post
One more thing.... talking with CEO's... there's one thing they have in common, almost all businesses require the same skills at their level... and often these CEO just need to understand basic fundamentals and would be successful in any number of them running in different areas. Now... I think that running a hockey team as a GM is different because it's a game... but at the higher management level... it's about making money. We may criticize Katz about his hockey sense here... but so far he's been filling seats and has a new arena and ice district in Edmonton, funded in part by us taxpayers - I think the Calgary Flames would consider themselves lucky to get the same deal... and we won't, we have different fundamentals here, and we stand by them (big difference up north).
I understand what you're talking about, the amorality of High-Level managers in the cause of achieving goals.

But thats become very specific. In many ways its dying out because its become something obvious and targets arent so easy anymore, and in other ways its becoming a very scary profession.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote