Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #121
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
But macro, we're talking about the biggest crisis to hit Earth ever. You're looking at 3,800,000,000 new mouths to feed that weren't there yesterday. It doesn't matter what happened or what planning took place, world wide starvation and war breaks out immediately after they return. It's comic book logic, so I can overlook it but it will be interesting if they address it at all.
The gauntlet is all powerful, it'd be easy to just say Hulk magic'd up a bunch of food to feed all the returned people when he snapped his fingers. What I'm more interested in is all of the people who survived the first snap but died in the 5 years between. Imagine all the suicides from relatives who lost family to ashes, suddenly little Johnny wakes up only to find himself an orphan because his parents offed themselves 5 years ago

I doubt Spider-Man FFH is going to go in-depth at all into the snap because it's a Sony movie, they have their own agenda and were at odds with Marvel for even putting out the trailer before Endgame premiered. I really hope the next Marvel Studios movie takes a real crack at all the heavy questions regarding the snaps though
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 06:28 PM   #122
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw it in IMAX. Twas good. Needed editing though, especially in the first act. I would have had Thor find Thanos after the 5 years, or at least a couple of them, only for his search to be for naught. Would have played way better as far as background for him turning into the Dude. Could have had a few time skips there and saved 10-15 minutes of run time.

I certainly have other things I'd change but overall it was a good conclusion to the arc. I'll probably try to see it again in IMAX, but in 3d next time. See how another viewing changes my impressions.

Oh, also, they really ####ed up a couple of those timelines.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #123
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Saw it today.

Man, a lot to unpack. I agree with some of the opinions that Infinity War was a better movie, with better pacing and a better movie.

I found the pacing in the first part of the movie off. Some of the comedy was off, some hit well.

I found the Thor arc jarring. I guess there are some themes there. But for an arc that started in Ragnarok, it just seemed kind of an unsatisfying end or a weird continuation.

Professor Hulk was meh. The one true surprise was Romanov biting the dust.

I think people get too caught up in the technicalities of time travel. They chose to tell the story that way and I don't have an issue with it.

The throwbacks to previous movies were cool.

Again the tonal changes were kind of all over the place. We have the despair, what its like for heros to lose. Then random comedy, then we've got a heist movie, then a massive battle. It was kind of distracting in a way. Oh yeah, and Cap leading a support group. Haha.

I feel like they should have spent less time on the depressing despair stuff, and a bit more on the heist and end battle. The heist seemed really rushed.

This all seems negative. But I did like it. The fan service was definitely on the nose, but incredibly enjoyable.

Favorite moment for sure was Cap weilding Mjolnir. Just awesome.

Runner ups were Dr Strange Holding his finger up for Stark. To convey the final endgame.

Cap passing the mantel to Wilson was in a way surprising. I always thought it would be Bucky. It made the most sense. It was like he was rewarding loyalty. Sam was among the most loyal characters in the whole MCU.

Its the too bad Romanov was the only real surprising death, because it didn't really land. Tony's death landed 100% but it was also not a surprise at all.

I need to see it again. So many details, so many moments. But if Im being honest, it wasn't the entertaining epic I was hoping for. But goddamn Cap with Mjolnir was awesome.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:04 PM   #124
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Oh, also, they really ####ed up a couple of those timelines.
The only ones that they really screwed up are the ones where Loki escaped, the one where Thanos left and went to the future.

Loki could still be re-captured and brought back to trial on Asgard since the stone is still there in that timeline so it could self correct? Maybe Cap went back and fixed that one too, who knows.

Thanos free timeline may be better off than the Infinity War timelines.

Speaking of Cap, he didn't really have to retire. Could have just went back to the present then de-aged himself if he wanted. They did it with Ant-Man a few times.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 10:56 PM   #125
Mean Mr. Mustard
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubicant View Post
In regards to your spoiler, really? I found that so ridiculous it basically pulled me right out of the movie as my eyes rolled back in my head.

So contrived IMO.
Easily the worst part of the movie - I get it - women can be imaginary superheroes as well. That part was so blatantly pandering that it ruined the flow of the entire scene. It just felt unnecessary to me.
Mean Mr. Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mean Mr. Mustard For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2019, 11:43 PM   #126
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think I'm on a little bit of an island, Professor Hulk was one of my favorite parts. I avoided spoilers and didn't expect it, but knew exactly what it was as soon as I saw the sweater. And I really like the way Marvel has leveraged their deep deep comic history to add more to the off screen story. Professor Hulk, Cap Picking up the Hammer, alluding to Rescue early and paying it off. These are things that can only work in these CBM franchises because one little change in character can drawing on years of story building.

I also liked the somber tone to the movie, and was impressed with how fast it moved considering they kind of kept that meandering feeling for many of the characters.

I think I need another viewing to get to deep into all of the good, there was allot of go stuff. I'm satisfied with how the closed the door on Cap, Ironman and Black Widow. I think if they want to walk away from Hulk, Hawkeye, or Rhodes after this they don't really need to provide much background. All three look like they deserve and could accept retirement. No clue how they can get away without bring Hemsworth back at least once more. The rest really seem primed to keep on fighting.

Where I would be critical.

Thought infinity war was much more entertaining, this must have been just and impossible movie to write to a satisfying conclusion.

Sharon Carter, Phil Coulson and Vision got snubbed in the whole memory lane tour of the MCU, and I thought that was too bad. I think they were all pretty beloved characters.

Black Widow and Hawkeye should have the had the first of the little time adventures, as soon as they got on a ship to Vormir we all knew what was going to happen, and waiting half an hour killed the impact a little bit.

I think the MCU is really bad a giant army scenes, and would be better to just have 30+ named characters fight it out. The big Wakanda army hurt the story in Black Panther, it was a minor distraction in Infinity War, and was pointless in End Game. Give me more of the German Airport or Titan fight scenes, and less giant armies of mortals charging at hell hounds. Have moe Sorcerers show up for this that we will get in the previous Dr Strange movie, or any Movie since. I also know they were not going to accept the Netflix stuff, but they canonized Agent Carter in this movie, and 3 of the movie characters have shown up in SHIELD. So I thought it would have been cool if Daisy showed up for the big fight too.

Captain Marvel was more of a pointless Deus Ex Machine than many had worried. They literally could have replaced everything she did with Yondu, and the story would have probably made more sense.

Really hard to believe they built a 22 edition, 45 hour, unified story without really needing to cut corners on quality. I think it was the 5th or 6th movie before the vision for the series really started to take shape. And probably until the 9th or 10th movie before they really distinguished the Marvel tone. But just a really impressive series in totality.

Also I found this quiz, if you need help building your own rankings of the movies.
https://sorta.app/q/1019
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2019, 11:48 PM   #127
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having spent the day pondering and processing it, I really like it.

The "Nebula shares a brain thing" was kinda weird, but they had to do something to provide some counterbalance to things going right.

"I don't even know who you are." "You will!" Finally bringing Scarlet Witch up a couple notches. Loved seeing that.

Cap with the Mjolnir was fantastic.

I felt that they used Captain Marvel the right amount. I was a little worried that this would be the "Captain Marvel does it all" show, but I felt that she was well used in this one.

I felt that it did right by both Tony and Steve.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 07:51 AM   #128
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

So did CA use the gauntlet to stay in the timeline? Also was putting the stones back enough to preserve one timeline. Wouldn't just showing up and moving around sir molecules start a new time line?

Maybe I'm overthinking this.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 08:49 AM   #129
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

This explains the parallel reality time travel very well.

Need a couple of viewings, but this also doesn't conflict with Captain America's appearance at the end and actually explains how he was at the bench.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 AM   #130
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
This explains the parallel reality time travel very well.
I don't really buy that. First, they explain at the start of the whole time travel plan that the timeline is self-correcting, if they went back to kill Thanos someone else would have just taken his role, so just by going to the past wouldn't automatically spawn a new reality. Second, the Ancient One plainly states that it's only when an infinity stone is removed from a timeline that an alternate reality is created, and if they get returned then the timelines revert back to a single thread

I actually think his 2nd time travel method is the more likely one, immutable time travel. That explains Steve going back and marrying Peggy, that was always going to happen and there has always been an older married Steve in hiding during the entire MCU. The only hole in this theory is the younger Thanos leaving his timeline to go to the future and then dying, but I think that can be explained away with the Soul stone. When Steve returns it, Red Skull could state that by doing so all the souls it holds will be released, so Thanos and co. get unsnapped and that timeline merges back with the main one

I think the only timeline that is still separate from the main MCU is Loki with the Tesseract, which will probably be what the TV series will cover. I wouldn't be surprised though if by the end of that, he ends up returning the tesseract from the timeline he took it and everything merges back to a single thread
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #131
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw an article with the Russo brothers implying that Cap was living in an alternate timeline and they admitted it opens the question of how he got back to that bench. I also found this part interesting:

"The Russos also hinted that Bucky’s aloof nature in that scene was meant to imply that he knew what Steve was doing before he did it, and that perhaps he had met this time-traveling Steve Rogers at some point in the past. This could be something explored in the upcoming television series about Falcon and Winter Soldier that’s coming to Disney+."
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:30 AM   #132
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Lots to unpack,

Things I noticed in the crowd though at Imax, when all the girls got together on the field of battle, more than a few younger girls (I wasn't specifically looking obviously, there were a bunch sitting around me with their parents) piped up and squealed a bit when they saw that.

And also when Captain Marvel was going one on one with Thanos and he tried his head but thing and she just smiled at him, again I could hear several kids in the crowd laugh.

That, in itself, is worth the cringeyness some of you are claiming.

You may not like it, but young girls need to see this more in movies than you need to not see it.

I can't wait to take my niece. She is going to flip.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wastedyouth For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 10:40 AM   #133
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

No qualms with the girl power scene except I think Pepper Potts in the Iron Man suit fighting alongside superheroes is lame.
icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:48 AM   #134
sleepingmoose
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by icecube View Post
No qualms with the girl power scene except I think Pepper Potts in the Iron Man suit fighting alongside superheroes is lame.
I thought it was interesting to have Pepper out there - but given how interested Tony was in preserving his daughter's life and his family, I'm surprised having both parents in a fight like that would be OK with him, potentially leaving his child orphaned.

Given that the movie was really about pandering to fans in it's entirety, I'm not sure why a short scene to appeal to female fans would be a big deal. Kind of the follow up to the Scarlett Witch/Black Widow/Okoye scene in Infinity War.
sleepingmoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:00 AM   #135
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I don't really buy that. First, they explain at the start of the whole time travel plan that the timeline is self-correcting, if they went back to kill Thanos someone else would have just taken his role, so just by going to the past wouldn't automatically spawn a new reality. Second, the Ancient One plainly states that it's only when an infinity stone is removed from a timeline that an alternate reality is created, and if they get returned then the timelines revert back to a single thread

I actually think his 2nd time travel method is the more likely one, immutable time travel. That explains Steve going back and marrying Peggy, that was always going to happen and there has always been an older married Steve in hiding during the entire MCU. The only hole in this theory is the younger Thanos leaving his timeline to go to the future and then dying, but I think that can be explained away with the Soul stone. When Steve returns it, Red Skull could state that by doing so all the souls it holds will be released, so Thanos and co. get unsnapped and that timeline merges back with the main one

I think the only timeline that is still separate from the main MCU is Loki with the Tesseract, which will probably be what the TV series will cover. I wouldn't be surprised though if by the end of that, he ends up returning the tesseract from the timeline he took it and everything merges back to a single thread
I can see where you're coming from, but IMO that's actually not what Bruce Banner said.

If I remember correctly, this is how their conversation went:
Warmachine: "why don't we find baby thanos and *strangle him*"
Banner: "first of all, that's horrible. Secondly, changing the past doesn't change the future"
Antman says they should go back and steal all the stones so thanos has no stones
Nabula then agrees with Banner by acknowledge that's not how it works.
Warmachine then qoutes a whole bunch of movies
Banner: "I don't know why everyone believes that, but that is not true." Then he explains that "If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future, and your former present becomes the past" so it cannot become your new future.

By going back to the past, they are not going back to their reality in the past, but an alternate reality. Banner even questioned why everyone was quoting all these movies because that is not how time travel works as he understands it. He also made it clear that the past they interact with won't affect the current reality past. I tend to believe the video's theory, as I find it also doesn't conflict with the Steve Roger's final presence.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:01 AM   #136
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
It's pretty in keeping with the comics though. She does become "Rescue" and don the iron suit. But I see what you mean if it is without context. Suddenly showing up with a suit can be confusing.
Old 04-30-2019, 11:06 AM   #137
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
I can see where you're coming from, but IMO that's actually not what Bruce Banner said.

If I remember correctly, this is how their conversation went:
Warmachine: "why don't we find baby thanos and *strangle him*"
Banner: "first of all, that's horrible. Secondly, changing the past doesn't change the future"
Antman says they should go back and steal all the stones so thanos has no stones
Nabula then agrees with Banner by acknowledge that's not how it works.
Warmachine then qoutes a whole bunch of movies
Banner: "I don't know why everyone believes that, but that is not true." Then he explains that "If you travel to the past, that past becomes your future, and your former present becomes the past" so it cannot become your new future.

By going back to the past, they are not going back to their reality in the past, but an alternate reality. Banner even questioned why everyone was quoting all these movies because that is not how time travel works as he understands it. He also made it clear that the past they interact with won't affect the current reality past. I tend to believe the video's theory, as I find it also doesn't conflict with the Steve Roger's final presence.
"So Back to the Future is bull####?"

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 11:35 AM   #138
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mean Mr. Mustard View Post
Easily the worst part of the movie - I get it - women can be imaginary superheroes as well. That part was so blatantly pandering that it ruined the flow of the entire scene. It just felt unnecessary to me.
Yah... but... it was my 10 year old daughter's favorite part. So pandering or not the scene was worth it.
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2019, 11:36 AM   #139
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't even notice that, because I don't see gender. #woke

But, lost in all the comments on "America's Ass", how could they leave Danvers behind?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 11:57 AM   #140
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
But, lost in all the comments on "America's Ass", how could they leave Danvers behind?
Her butt double got lost in the Snap, and didn't know where to come back to?
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote