Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2019, 02:26 PM   #1341
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
former sth, dont care about anything you just said

anecdotes are great
With all due respect, it is not 'former' STHs that they are concerned about. Also, obviously not everyone is going to have the same opinions about all of these things - I thought it was obvious that I was generalizing.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:31 PM   #1342
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

i was a sth until this year, and it was extremely obvious you were generalizing and speaking for thousands of individuals you dont know
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #1343
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
i was a sth until this year, and it was extremely obvious you were generalizing and speaking for thousands of individuals you dont know
Well, I was speaking for every single person I have ever discussed this with.

And counting you, I know one STH that doesn't care.

I know you are against arena funding. Passionately. But most people that pay thousands of dollars per year for tickets do care a great deal about these things. And they have every right to.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:45 PM   #1344
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Agree to disagree i guess. I wouldn't try to pretend i know what thousands of people care or care not for myself
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #1345
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
It’s absolutley fine for watching hockey. In fact, it has the best sightines of any NHL rink I’ve been to. I really enjoy watching games there.

What’s not fine is the amount of musical acts skipping Calgary forcing me to go to Edmonton and spend my money in that city if I want to go. Most of the artists that’s skip town suck, but there’s probably 1-2/year I go to (and maybe 1-2/year I would go to if it was in Calgary but wouldn’t drive three hours for). Personally the amount I spend going to Edmonton would cancel out with any food/beverage price increase. I rarely drink at games and concerts so the beer price isn’t really an issue for me.
Wanting a new arena for concerts is a legit reason for a new building for sure.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #1346
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I agree - the upper bowl of that arena sucks. And that is unfortunate. But it doesn't change the discussion.
Isn't that a part of the discussion though?

For rare Saddledome visitors like myself, the Dome is a great place to watch hockey. What he's pointing out is that a shiny new arena doesn't fix what people are complaining about - and in his case, it made it worse

The ticket prices will go up, the concessions and washrooms will still be full and we won't be playing in a cool saddle anymore!
Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #1347
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
Isn't that a part of the discussion though?

For rare Saddledome visitors like myself, the Dome is a great place to watch hockey. What he's pointing out is that a shiny new arena doesn't fix what people are complaining about - and in his case, it made it worse

The ticket prices will go up, the concessions and washrooms will still be full and we won't be playing in a cool saddle anymore!
but it only made it worse for the middle class.
the rich people have an awesome arena.

maybe Calgary can make it good for all classes of fans.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 03:08 PM   #1348
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

From my perspective as a STH in the greens, the following things are likely to be true:

-my view of the game will be equal or worse
-my ticket prices will be way higher
-my property taxes will be slightly higher
-there will still be a wait to use the bathroom at intermission
-there will still be a Ram truck in my way in the concourse.
-the construction materials will be shinier

Doesn't seem like a net benefit to me...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 05:57 PM   #1349
420since1974
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Calgary Flames Team Value
as per Forbes - Dec. 2018.

https://www.forbes.com/teams/calgary-flames/
420since1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #1350
Dube
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
From my perspective as a STH in the greens, the following things are likely to be true:

Show after show will continue to skip Calgary.
Dube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 06:06 PM   #1351
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's important to remember that Darryl Katz was behind Rogers Place so going by how he runs his hockey team it's really no surprise the arena is deficient which is a major failure considering it's the 2nd newest in the league the highest I have seen it ranked in any arena rankings is fifth but most have it lower and by all accounts Little Caesars arena blows it away. Also lets not forget that Kevin Lowe years ago let the cat out of the bag that the organization really only cares about Tier 1 fans so it's no surprise the upper seating was an afterthought. Just because Katz screwed up that doesn't mean that the Flames new arena won't be an immense improvement over the Saddledome and being 2nd in the arena race also provided the Flames the ability to ensure they don't make the same mistakes.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-08-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 07:41 PM   #1352
marsplasticeraser
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We’re you not around for the Calgary Next presentation?

That was years of work, and if anybody but ken king had done that they would have been fired. It was embarrassing it was so bad. Just consider:

They never talked to the city. The one they want to invest billions of dollars.

They never even thought whether the site was viable or important for the city to develop.

They presented a project that many university students could have done better.

I honestly believe if the flames are running this on their own we will be lucky to get Rogers place.

I think we look at Edmonton and think “we’re not as bad as they are” and are happy, and think we are doing ok. But the truth is the flames have been one of the bottom 5 or 8 run organizations in the NHL over the past 25 years. We should expect a lot more from flames leadership.

If ken king wants to do something new, Task him with getting mobile ordering for concessions. Maybe allow him freedom to pursue his passion project: more trucks in the concourse. Maybe he can find a way to stack them or hang them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think it's important to remember that Darryl Katz was behind Rogers Place so going by how he runs his hockey team it's really no surprise the arena is deficient which is a major failure considering it's the 2nd newest in the league the highest I have seen it ranked in any arena rankings is fifth but most have it lower and by all accounts Little Caesars arena blows it away. Also lets not forget that Kevin Lowe years ago let the cat out of the bag that the organization really only cares about Tier 1 fans so it's no surprise the upper seating was an afterthought. Just because Katz screwed up that doesn't mean that the Flames new arena won't be an immense improvement over the Saddledome and being 2nd in the arena race also provided the Flames the ability to ensure they don't make the same mistakes.
marsplasticeraser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marsplasticeraser For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 08:09 PM   #1353
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, we getting a new building or what?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 PM   #1354
Sutter_in_law
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I can see someone feeling this way if they visited for the first time, or once a year or whatever. Because in that case, the only thing that really matters is sightlines - and the sightlines are good.

But if you're a STH, paying for 45 games a year, there is a lot more to it than that.

Washrooms matter. Food concession options matter. Space in the concourse matters. Size of the seats matters, as does legroom.

I have been to 15-20 rinks around the league, and the Dome is the worst in each of those categories. By a LOT in some cases.

I know that some people don't care about those things - younger people especially, budget-minded, and occasional patrons - but the people paying the bills definitely do care, to a much greater extent.
Watching hockey matters more than anything else IMO. I’d rather not pay 1/3 more for basically the same seats in a new structure

Quote:
I agree - the upper bowl of that arena sucks. And that is unfortunate. But it doesn't change the discussion.
How does it not? It’s a legitimate concern

Quote:
With all due respect, it is not 'former' STHs that they are concerned about. Also, obviously not everyone is going to have the same opinions about all of these things - I thought it was obvious that I was generalizing.
With all due respect you are coming across as an arrogant “tier one fan” - and that your opinion as a STH is more valid than anyone else’s.

Quote:
Well, I was speaking for every single person I have ever discussed this with.

And counting you, I know one STH that doesn't care.

I know you are against arena funding. Passionately. But most people that pay thousands of dollars per year for tickets do care a great deal about these things. And they have every right to.
Me and my family have had season tickets for years. Yes it’s true that most people seem to be for a new arena but if you’ve only talked to one that is against it then you probably aren’t talking to many people - there are obviously a lot of people that have very legitimate concerns about the overall benefit vs price. It’s probably been about 70-30 for vs. against with people I have spoken to.
Sutter_in_law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:11 PM   #1355
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post

Team cant stay in the dome forever though...eventually you will have a great view of nothing
Old 03-08-2019, 09:14 PM   #1356
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
So, we getting a new building or what?
It sounds like it's coming.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2019, 10:18 PM   #1357
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I can see someone feeling this way if they visited for the first time, or once a year or whatever. Because in that case, the only thing that really matters is sightlines - and the sightlines are good.

But if you're a STH, paying for 45 games a year, there is a lot more to it than that.

Washrooms matter. Food concession options matter. Space in the concourse matters. Size of the seats matters, as does legroom.

I have been to 15-20 rinks around the league, and the Dome is the worst in each of those categories. By a LOT in some cases.

I know that some people don't care about those things - younger people especially, budget-minded, and occasional patrons - but the people paying the bills definitely do care, to a much greater extent.
Wait a minute...you start by saying that someone who visits an arena once or twice isn't entitled to much of an opinion on the quality of a building...Then you say that you've been to 15-20 other rinks (presumably once or twice at most), and proceed to state how much better they all are than the Dome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
I've been to 4 NHL rinks (Toronto, Washington, Ottawa and Calgary) and one NBA arena (New Orleans). Not sure what kind of mind blowing, orgasmic, arena experience y'all are having where bathroom lines are 10 seconds long during intermission. Most arenas are almost identical from a fan perspective in my mind.

With that said, I'm all for a new arena in Calgary. I just don't expect to have my brains blasted every time I watch a Flames game.
It's almost like there are ~18000 people in the same place at the same time in all of these places?
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:54 PM   #1358
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Would still like to see something done with the West End site, cleaning up the Creosote contamination. That part of CalgaryNEXt was a good idea.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:06 AM   #1359
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It sounds like it's coming.
Good
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:11 AM   #1360
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
^ one thing that I really disliked about Edmonton (especially coming from the Dome) was how far back all the seating was. Very football like and not the knees to your neighbours head seating you're used to in a rink. We had good seats in the lower bowl, but I felt like I was pretty far back from the game, and seeing the other end of the rink was tough.

Whatever they do in Calgary, I'd hope that the views at a hockey game is the primary consideration.
That was purposeful so your seat is just beyond throwing a jersey on the ice distance.
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote